out of control!

lizives

For the past 2 months I have been feeling ill and my diabetes often seems out of control. Lots of highs and lows with the blood sugar levels yet my previous bloodtests showed a good average of 6.3. Passing water very frequently and diahorrea nearly every day too.
My doctor thought I had a virus which I know could upset me but still it keeps happening. Having adopted a stricter diet, more mediterranean - and checking the sugars and carbs in everything still does not seem to make much difference and I have the shakes and feel muzzy and tired and achy. I feel I am losing my confidence.
Any ideas please? Any advice? I take one Gliclazide per day. I am 63 :( and am very overweight and unable to shed weight however hard I try.

jan123

oh heck! you really do need to go back and see your GP, if it is not a virus it has to be something, stay positive, I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If in doubt, I always blame the Gliclazide for weight gain.
looks like you have improved your eating. Can you reduce your carbs?
Does Mediterranean mean loads of pasta? Have you increased your fruits and vegetables by a LOT? sometimes that can upset the stomach. If it's not used to it.
It's worth trying mediterranean with reduced fruits and increased greens. It might help, but that may not be the problem.
Then again the digestive system problem may not be diabetes related.
Keep on at your doctor. Persistent diarrhoea isn't a good thing and keep up your fluids.

lizives

Thanks for that. No, I dont have loads of pasta. I check the GL of foods and try to avoid high levels so that includes pasta and most rice ( shame, I love risotto) but substituted with barley and cous cous and other pulses. I always ate well but just seem to be unable to keep control of how I feel these days. Totally fed up!
Forgot to say, first medication I had was Metformin and that caused the digestive upsets too so hence the change to Gliclazide. Perhaps they both do the same! Any answers on that one?

jan123

Metformin positively crucified me! so much so I had to undergo all kinds of tests because the GP said that it couldn't be that so bad and maybe I had bowel disease! See how you fair on the Gliclazide because I don't know if that has the same effect

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
lizives said:
Thanks for that. No, I dont have loads of pasta. I check the GL of foods and try to avoid high levels so that includes pasta and most rice ( shame, I love risotto) but substituted with barley and cous cous and other pulses. I always ate well but just seem to be unable to keep control of how I feel these days. Totally fed up!
Forgot to say, first medication I had was Metformin and that caused the digestive upsets too so hence the change to Gliclazide. Perhaps they both do the same! Any answers on that one?

Hi lizives.

Gliclazide has some side effects as follows. This is from the Patient Information leaflet which should be in the box the tablets come in or available at your Pharmacists.

Tummy upset,slight sickness,diarrhoea or constipation but these can usually be avoided if you take your medicine during a meal. It also can promote weight gain !

Ken.

lizives

Is there anything that doesnt promote weight gain in this world? If so please forward in a plain envelope...
Thanks for the input everyone. Have docs appt for Saturday...... :(

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi lizives

Have you tried the slow release Metformin? I suffer badly with irritable bowel but am able to tolerate the slow release Metformin and Metformin is the only drug that does not put weight on (so I believe). Gliclazide put about a stone on me virtually overnight - am still on Metformin and now am 15 weeks into a 6 month trial on Byetta. Jude

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The only diabetic medicines that I know don't put on weight are Metformin and Byetta.And presumably the new Victoza. All may cause digestive upsets though.
Other than that there's diet and exercise. And that's HARD to do and achieve GOOD control

inwales

Has anyone noticed that metformin causes more digestive upset, the greater your control on BGs with also losing weight?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
inwales.

NO. :D

Ken.

lizives

I keep reading about Byetta is this something new or am I just not in the loop? How does that work and is it thought to be better than the others?