Carbalose Flour

bunty

I didnt want to ask this elsewhere here lest i attract a series of scathing comments about eating carbs...

but anyway i was looking at the online site lowcarbmegastore and saw a new product called Carbalose glour which they claim is 80% fewer carbs than ordinary wheat flour.

It claims not to include any soya, which means i could use it.

Has anyone come across this before and tried it for making pastry, bread etc?

bunty

ChocFish

Hi bunty
I have not used this flour before, but one of my fellow diabetics here in London has made some really lovely quiches with it and just recently strawberry tarts with creme patisserie and they were melt in the mouth.

I cannot say anything about bread, sorry, but would have thought its ok.

Happy baking

Karen x

And dont be scared of posting, if you can eat carbs or even if you cannot eat carbs but you still eat them its nobody else's business, its your diabetes and you deal with it the way you want to. Just please be healthy.

Reactions: 2 people

bunty

Chocfish,

thank you for that and i will send off for some and experiment. It'd be great if i could make a quiche or something for a nice change - the bought ones are in any case usually off-limits to me due to my food allergies. i sometimes think all processed food in this country is made in a peanut or soyabean factory!

bunty

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bunty, I just checked it found this,
Carbalose Flour Ref: ALB077
Carbalose Low Carb White Flour, 1.36kg bag (3 lb). For use instead of wheat flour, but containing 80% less carbs. Use like regular flour in most recipes. Net carbs 19g per 100g. Suitable for low carbers, low glycemic and other dieters and diabetics.

Adjustments: Water or liquids may need slight adjustments. Increase yeast or leavening up to double the original recipe. Drop baking temperature by about 4 degrees Celsius and slightly increase cooking time.

Ingredients: Enzyme enhanced wheat and wheat protein, Vital wheat gluten, Wheat fibre, High protein wheat flour, Vegetable fibre, Canola oil, Salt, Emulsifiers, Enzymes, Ascorbic acid, Calcium propionate (a preservative).

Made in a plant that processes soy, wheat, eggs and milk

I hope that doesn't put a damper on things for you :(

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use it, and I like the results it gives. The packet comes covered in recipes, in quantities more suited to the American appetite. It's easy to use but quite expensive, although the box lasts me a very long time.

I mainly use it for the convenience that carbs used to give me for quick stuff and 'packed lunches' as I work flipping awful shifts.

wiflib

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
This is the main flour I regularly use in combination with two others to make pizza dough, and accounts for 75% of the mix. All contributing to make "the best pizza in South Bristol" my friends say, but that may have something to do with the toppings...! (Thanks guys I'll pay you later)

Regular readers will know I am a carbophile, but it does make good sense to reduce intake if you can, and only where possible. This flour is great.

bunty

Oh, thank you, everyone for those helpful replies!

The 'made in a factory with soya...' isnt a problem to me at the moment so i'll chance it and buy a bag o'carbalose and give it a try.

Pizza would be lovely to make now and then - even without the diabetes, i cant eat at Pizza Hut, for instance, as they use soya and i get unwell, fast. Pizza itself usually has a staggering amount of carbs but i would want to make something along the lines of meat/cheese and have it with a salad as a main meal.

My food allergies have really been getting me down this past few months. Maybe it's seeing everyone tuck into plates of fresh strawberries or bite into peaches etc? Or just that my antibody count for soya has reached critical level so that now i react to a tiny amount - whatever, as they say!

Anyway, something that allows me to have some carbs in place of loads of carbs cant be bad!

bunty

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Ive just discovered this flour and only this morning made some of the Cheddar Cheese Biscuits which is a recipe on the box. I have also made Percy's 'one minute microwave bread' - there is a recipe for this on another thread - it's so easy. The only difficulty I had was converting the American cup sizes into english weights but I worked it out eventually.

Rita

bunty

They're out of stock! Grrr! It's just my luck, isnt it - moan, whine, whimper!

But i've added my email addy to their database and they're let me know when it's back in stock and until then i shall have to practice patience.

However, i did order some of their coconut flour, which claims to be low-carb and has no soya. Not sure what one does with the stuff but i ordered some anyway, along with a packet of something mysterious called Actual Cheese Bakes. I think that's what it's called, anyway. And some sugar-free syrup for coffee.

Most of their stuff looked inviting but there was precious little information given about the ingredients, which means i cant buy it. I did note though that much of what they offer is heavy on the soya, which i guess is fine for almost everyone else!

Thanks for all the comments, guys!

bunty