Thyroid and type1

Hilary51

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

I think my thyroid is playing up and my bs levels are high and it's difficult to get them under control. Anyone else experienced this ?..
Thks

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an underactive thyroid and I think it affects my sugar levels. I took levothyroxine for few days but had to stop because of bad side effects. I must say though my levels were brilliant when I was taking it. Im seeing endocrinologist on Monday and hoping to find some solution

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
What were the side effects @ewelina ? I am not on any thyroxine yet but I have a underactive thyroid. It makes weight loss hard! Grr!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chest pain and something I would compare to anxiety, upset stomach also. My results are better now as I was trying to cure it with diet. I will see what endocrinologist will tell me but I want to sort it out. It makes weight loss impossible

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I had an over active thyroid, I had to have a radio iodene tablet which in basic terms killed the thyroid, now taking levothyrocine tablets 100mg daily, before this yes my sugars were a mess and continued to be until I took the radio iodene, I would suggest going to your diabetic consulant and have the blood test done to see what is going on. (I also lost 3 stone and now stuck at 9 stone but my normal weight was 10.5 stone)

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I have an underative thyroid but it has never impacted my bg levels at all. The only thing you can do is get your bloods tested for TSH and such but Dr is unlikely to do that off the cuff without more symptoms. You may need to prod them a bit.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, controlling my blood sugar is a constant battle, that's the name of the game definitely, though it's easier on LCHF. I have an underactive thyroid too but I have never seen an endocrinologist, (as far as I'm aware). I just take 175 mcg of levothyroxine every day, prescribed by a GP way back when. How can I know whether this affects my blood sugar? I have never mentioned it at diabetic clinic.

Craigk93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got blood work back recently which suggested an underactive thyroid however not much was explained to me other than getting more blood work done after 3 months which will be on the 10th of August. After a long struggle with diabetes I managed to get my hba1c down to 8.1 from 10.7 however I started feeling like ****, was really tired and exercise is a struggle I appear to have a terrible weakness in my leg muscles despite being active and I'm only 22 it's all a bit confusing to be honest. The doc mentioned something about pills but the thought of having to take more medication is making me feel a bit depressed and feeling like my body is letting me down :(

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Got blood work back recently which suggested an underactive thyroid however not much was explained to me other than getting more blood work done after 3 months which will be on the 10th of August. After a long struggle with diabetes I managed to get my hba1c down to 8.1 from 10.7 however I started feeling like ****, was really tired and exercise is a struggle I appear to have a terrible weakness in my leg muscles despite being active and I'm only 22 it's all a bit confusing to be honest. The doc mentioned something about pills but the thought of having to take more medication is making me feel a bit depressed and feeling like my body is letting me down :(
I feel the same - I was diagnosed with under active thyroid at 8 (?!? So young!) and then at 15 I was diagnosed with diabetes. I'm 18 now and my dad read that this link can often happen as our immune systems are weaker, although it is a harsh reality it is what happens.

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an underactive thyroid (another lovely side issue of diabetes). My symptoms were tiredness/lethargy, weight gain, depression and my blood sugars were all over the place. I'm on levothyroxcine which helps with my thyroid levels but unfortunately have had some of the side effects such as fatigue, excessive sweating and shortness of breath which do play down the good it does. I'm still debating staying on it. My GP was very quick to put me on it and you should have your thyroid tested along with your HBA1C and liver etc. because of the link between it and diabetes.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to point out that the Draft guidelines for T1 (the actual revised guidelines are supposed to be out next month) say

1.15.5 Measure blood thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels in adults 8
with type 1 diabetes at annual review. [new 2015]
So hopefully you shouldn't have any problem in having levels tested.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gi.../type-1-diabetes-update-draft-nice-guideline2

Autoimmune thyroid disease and T1 are strongly associated and have several genetic variations in common which is why you should be checked regularly.

My levels were rising slightly and my cholesterol levels also went up and I put on some weight. The biggest symptom though was a total lack of motivation.I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything.
My doctor checked and my TSH was high as were the antibodies. When they scanned my thyroid it was 'degraded' .
Since I started using levothyroxine glucose levels and cholesterol started behaving themselves better.
I didn't just lose the weight, I had to watch my calorie intake and exercise levels. Sadly, I'm still not as motivated as before and no where near as active.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to point out that the Draft guidelines for T1 (the actual revised guidelines are supposed to be out next month) say

1.15.5 Measure blood thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels in adults 8
with type 1 diabetes at annual review. [new 2015]
So hopefully you shouldn't have any problem in having levels tested.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gi.../type-1-diabetes-update-draft-nice-guideline2

Autoimmune thyroid disease and T1 are strongly associated and have several genetic variations in common which is why you should be checked regularly.

My levels were rising slightly and my cholesterol levels also went up and I put on some weight. The biggest symptom though was a total lack of motivation.I didn't want to go anywhere or do anything.
My doctor checked and my TSH was high as were the antibodies. When they scanned my thyroid it was 'degraded' .
Since I started using levothyroxine glucose levels and cholesterol started behaving themselves better.
I didn't just lose the weight, I had to watch my calorie intake and exercise levels. Sadly, I'm still not as motivated as before and no where near as active.

Have you recovered a bit, Phoenix? You were so active before.