Not feeling when I'm having a hypo..

Bethany buchan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay so I was at the diabetic clinic 2 weeks ago and we changed my amount of insulin. So now in the morning it was 40 now it's 38 dinner tym is 11 and before bed was 20 now it's 18 and they said they lowered it cause my blood sugars were all over the place. But it's only made it worse I'm having 2-3 hypos a day... But the problem is I don't feel hypo I feel normal, like for instance yesterday I was going to go to martial arts n I felt fine n like I all ways do I check my bloods before I go out so I checked them n they were 2.4 n I felt fine.. Is there anyway to stop this?

iHs

Okay so I was at the diabetic clinic 2 weeks ago and we changed my amount of insulin. So now in the morning it was 40 now it's 38 dinner tym is 11 and before bed was 20 now it's 18 and they said they lowered it cause my blood sugars were all over the place. But it's only made it worse I'm having 2-3 hypos a day... But the problem is I don't feel hypo I feel normal, like for instance yesterday I was going to go to martial arts n I felt fine n like I all ways do I check my bloods before I go out so I checked them n they were 2.4 n I felt fine.. Is there anyway to stop this?

Hi

The reason why yr awareness of the hypo feeling is diminishing is because your brain has got used to thinking that low bg levels are normal because you experience the hypo feeling daily more than once. If you using pre mixed insulins, log yr bg levels down and also the amount of carbohydrate in the food that you eat. Test bg 6 times a day esp mid morning and mid afternoon and try to keep yr bg balanced up with food so that you keep bg at ok targets. It looks like you could either reduce yr insulin a bit or increase the carb in the food that you eat. Do you eat just 3 meals per day or do you eat small main meals and then a snack 2 to 3hrs later? Often, testing bg mid way, reveals so much info and by eating a small snack, many hypos can to certain degree be prevented. Look at the NICE bg targets and choose a sensible bg target to aim for that keeps you ok with the insulin injected and the food that you eat.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
These feelings of not being aware can be due to having large swings in higher levels and dropping quickly.....

You need to start at basics... Are you on basal / bolus regime or mixed insulin?
As a general rule for basal /bolus ....If you are going low within 2-3 hours after a bolus (for food or a correction) then your bolus ratio is wrong. At all other times it will be your basal that is wrong.

You need to be testing before each meal and 2 hr after. Whether you are on mixed insulin or the basal / bolus insulin.

It sounds as if you are having. Swings in your levels.. But if you are active this needs to be balanced with insulins and your food eating times etc....

I found my worst hypos would be when I was dropping quickly...

salim1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liers /smoking /selfishness
These feelings of not being aware can be due to having large swings in higher levels and dropping quickly.....

You need to start at basics... Are you on basal / bolus regime or mixed insulin?
As a general rule for basal /bolus ....If you are going low within 2-3 hours after a bolus (for food or a correction) then your bolus ratio is wrong. At all other times it will be your basal that is wrong.

You need to be testing before each meal and 2 hr after. Whether you are on mixed insulin or the basal / bolus insulin.

It sounds as if you are having. Swings in your levels.. But if you are active this needs to be balanced with insulins and your food eating times etc....

I found my worst hypos would be when I was dropping quickly...
what do you mean by 40 /38 ?is it the amount of insulin you take?and what kind of insulin do you take?

Bethany buchan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

The reason why yr awareness of the hypo feeling is diminishing is because your brain has got used to thinking that low bg levels are normal because you experience the hypo feeling daily more than once. If you using pre mixed insulins, log yr bg levels down and also the amount of carbohydrate in the food that you eat. Test bg 6 times a day esp mid morning and mid afternoon and try to keep yr bg balanced up with food so that you keep bg at ok targets. It looks like you could either reduce yr insulin a bit or increase the carb in the food that you eat. Do you eat just 3 meals per day or do you eat small main meals and then a snack 2 to 3hrs later? Often, testing bg mid way, reveals so much info and by eating a small snack, many hypos can to certain degree be prevented. Look at the NICE bg targets and choose a sensible bg target to aim for that keeps you ok with the insulin injected and the food that you eat.
I have breakfast then a couple hours I'll have a snack n then another few hours I'll have lunch n then few hours snack then another few hours I have dinner then I have a snack before bed n I eat ole plenty of carby food

iHs

I have breakfast then a couple hours I'll have a snack n then another few hours I'll have lunch n then few hours snack then another few hours I have dinner then I have a snack before bed n I eat ole plenty of carby food

What are yr bg levels before a main meal and before the snack and before main meal? can you adjust the carb in the meals so that you dont go too high or low?

Bethany buchan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are yr bg levels before a main meal and before the snack and before main meal? can you adjust the carb in the meals so that you dont go too high or low?
Bg before lunch is normally about 6-7 and snack 3-4... And dinner 7-8 n then bed is normally anything from 6-9 and Iv not rally learned about carbs n that yet so it's hard to keep track x

iHs

Bg before lunch is normally about 6-7 and snack 3-4... And dinner 7-8 n then bed is normally anything from 6-9 and Iv not rally learned about carbs n that yet so it's hard to keep track x

Hi

When you buy food in the supermarkets or even in McDs and KFC type places, there is usually nutrition info on the packaging. What you need to look at is the amount of carbohydrate per 100g weight or per item in the packaging. You then need to calculate the amount of carb in 100g weight of food to equal 10g carb portion and call it 1 CHO or 10g carb exchange. Weighing scales come in handy for calculating 10g carb portions as you can use cutlery like Tablespoon, desert spoon and teaspoon to judge the carb content of frozen peas and other stuff.

Looking at the bg levels you posted above.... it looks like you need to eat a tiny bit more carb at lunch and that will then make bg a bit higher mid afternoon, you can then reduce the carb in the snack you eat a tiny bit and then yr dinner bg will be lower than 7-8. Its all about getting the balance of carb that you eat in your meals so that your bg levels stay ok. Its a bit hit and miss just eating food and hoping for the best so start to count the carb and then you'll be ok and will be able to sort out your bg levels. Get DUK to send you out info sheets with carb content of basic food..........like 1 slice of bread is 17g carb, 1 small potatoes is 10g carb, 1 biscuit is about 10g carb. All this stuff is listed on the nutrition info on the food packaging so try to think what you have been eating and work out the carb value ;)

https://shop.diabetes.org.uk/store/managing-your-diabetes/healthy-living/carbs-count-e-book.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people