Type 2 Dazed and confused help please

dizzydiana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm new 3 months on metformin 2 morning 2 evening and just started one new tab in the morning dapagliflozin + I'm obese have to lose weight my blood sugars are high in the morning what's best to eat before bed ??

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean dinner or a snack before bed? It might be the dreaded Dawn Phenomenon where your liver dumps glucose into your system, I know it got me for well over a year.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I think people get a little confused about what dinner is.
Breakfast dinner tea supper is the reality.
It's why schools have dinner ladies :cool:
We need more information about what you're already eating and when to give us some idea where to start.
You could already be eating what's best we simply don't know and what's good for one maybe isn't for another.
The low carb hight fat approach is very popular on here for losing weight taking control of sugar levels lowering blood pressure improving cholesterol outlook but we aren't all the same.
You have arrived at the best place you could have so hang around and you too will be improving your health I'm sure.
From Jack T2 almost turned it around to none diabetic status .... thanks to this place.

dizzydiana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya gosh thanks for the quick support amazing site I didn't. expect replies so soon! I was talking about a snack to see if that helps to bring my morning levels down as they are around 10/11.3 now

dizzydiana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think people get a little confused about what dinner is.
Breakfast dinner tea supper is the reality.
It's why schools have dinner ladies :cool:
We need more information about what you're already eating and when to give us some idea where to start.
You could already be eating what's best we simply don't know and what's good for one maybe isn't for another.
The low carb hight fat approach is very popular on here for losing weight taking control of sugar levels lowering blood pressure improving cholesterol outlook but we aren't all the same.
You have arrived at the best place you could have so hang around and you too will be improving your health I'm sure.
From Jack T2 almost turned it around to none diabetic status .... thanks to this place.
Low carb sounds good but high fat doesn't sound good as I'm obese

dizzydiana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb sounds good but high fat doesn't sound good as I'm obese
The last 2 weeks I've cut out biscuits choc sweets cakes , down to one Chinese take out a week using virgin olive oil no frys. I invested in the nutri bullet ( my eating is now breakfast and dinner juiced 50/50 greens and fruit 200mls a meal then tea I have my main meal potatoes veg meat even got almond milk to subsitute milk and drink herbal tea now snack I use ryvita sesame crispbread light Philadelphia cheese spread water about 4 pints a day and fat free yogurt w/watchers and my levels are not great mornings and before bed

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it sounds counter productive but it does actually work for lowering BS and loseing weight. It doesnt suit everyone but it is well worth a shot. On diagnosis in Feb '14 I was 115kg and my HbA1c was 100 and as if last week my weight was down to 86kg and my HbA1c was 34 so it can definately help with both. I keep a food diary and test 2 hrs post meals so I stay on track. If you find you need a snack before bed try some cheese or nuts maybe. For myself I make low carb muffins, fudge and cheesecake slice that I can grab out if the freezer if I feel like something yummy to eat. If you dont mind me asking, what do you generally eat in a day.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops sorry I forgot to mention I was talking about LCHF in the post above.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The last 2 weeks I've cut out biscuits choc sweets cakes , down to one Chinese take out a week using virgin olive oil no frys. I invested in the nutri bullet ( my eating is now breakfast and dinner juiced 50/50 greens and fruit 200mls a meal then tea I have my main meal potatoes veg meat even got almond milk to subsitute milk and drink herbal tea now snack I use ryvita sesame crispbread light Philadelphia cheese spread water about 4 pints a day and fat free yogurt w/watchers and my levels are not great mornings and before bed
The high fat bit sounded bonkers to me when I first heard it.
Decided to try it and lost three stone in around four months and got my blood sugars right down.
Bad cholesterol down good stuff up blood pressure down too.
I know it sounds craZy but it has worked for so many of us on here.
Full fat yoghurt lots of butter and cream and full cream milk.
Even fry ups.
Haven't got the time now as I have to hit the sack but have a read of this .... this was my starting point and I haven't looked back .... in fact I've been reintroducing carbs slowly and seem to be doing just fine.
My surgery can't get their heads round it.
LCHF Means low carb high fat.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't worry about fat ("fat doesn't make you fat") as it's the carbs that do the harm. Keep them down as low as you can make yourself and have enough protein, fat, veg and non-tropical fruit to keep you feeling full. If you have to snack then have nuts, cheese, berries etc. Be careful with fruit juice as it can be very high in natural sugar and watch out for any added sugar in low-fat yogurt. Be aware that many branded diets still work on the low-fat mantra and have too many carbs, so read the labels. Set yourself a daily carb limit of, perhaps, 150gm/day and see how you go.

Merrylizard1314

Hi,@dizzydiana,
One tip that I found useful when starting LCHF, was -

don't eat processed food, but if unavoidable, read the label, and if there are more than 5gr carbohydrates per portion, don't eat it.

Making small changes to carbohydrate intake will help you to begin using your fat stores for energy.

Best luck