what do you guys suggest for breakfast?

howie

i'm currently having porridge for breakfast, but my levels are going above 7 afterwards so gonna opt for low-carb brek, any good suggestions?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Howie. Here's some of my low carb brekkies.

1. 2 rashers back bacon,fried egg,1 sausage,grilled or fried tomatoes,fried mushrooms. Tea with S/S milk and a milky coffee S/S. Total carbs 13.3

2. M & S Timperley Rhubarb Yoghurt, handful of dry roasted peanuts, tea with milk.
Total Carbs 18.4

3. 1 Large flat mushroom,3 rashers of back bacon-grilled or fried,2 mugs of tea with milk.
For a treat as Bg was ultra low. A slice of Co-op Date and Walnut cake :D
Total carbs 25.6

I'm sure you will get loads more tips. That is what I can tolerate each morning, but carb intake varies dramatically throughout the day. Overall, I manage about 60 - 70 g Carbs per day.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I obviously eat less than Ken and rush out to the sports centre early in the mornings.
I usually have a couple of slices of cold meat, ham or chicken. On days when i have time a couple of eggs scrambled with butter and cream in the microwave are delicious.

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
Cheese Omlette! Sometimes with bacon or gammon. Mmmmmmmm.

Omlette (3 eggs, 50ml s/s milk, 50g cheese) = 7g carbs.
Cup of Tea (5ml s/s milk) = 1g carbs
Gammon Steak / Bacon = ~0g carbs.

So usually 8-10g carbs :)

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
Normally either scrambled eggs or an omlette of some description(ham & cheese or chicken, bacon& cheese).

However, I do enjoy a nice big fry up!

Reactions: 2 people

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Eggs are a breakfast staple for me too. Scrambled with cream and cheese, or poached on home made low carb bread, or in an omlette. Add to that some bacon, mushrooms, tea with a little full fat milk or coffee with cream.
Tough life.

fergus

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Eggs for me too! Either scrambled/poached/or omelette. My favourite at the moment is baked egg with ham and a little creme fraiche and topped with cheddar cheese (all done in a ramekin dish in the oven) - surprisingly filling especially with a slice of Fergus's bread.

Or an egg on a large portabello mushroom topped with a little creme fraiche and crumbled crispby bacon. Lovely.

Rita

howie

cheers guys, i'm starving after reading those! sounding well nice!

i've been feeling like i'm on drugs after having porridge for breky each day. its what they recommended for me at the hospital lol.

scottishkate

Weekdays is always an omlette for me - sometimes with mushys or a little cheese but more often than not just plain. I'm a dab hand now - I can rustle up the perfect omlette in 2 minutes flat!

Oh and Fergus my dear - any joy with the gluten free, low carb cereal production you mentioned a while back?! :wink:

katie.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't think the gluten-free loaf is a goer, but I'll keep you posted on the cereal. :wink:

All the best,

fergus

Pozzie

Dont mind the eggs bacon etc a couple of times a week but couldnt do it everyday. I dont like Yoghurt. Any more ideas?
I am not keen on cooking first thing in the morning either

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
pozzie.

We could go on and on. Much of it could be not to your tastes.

Why not take a look at the previous Topics which all mention breakfast in the posts. You might find something there to suit YOU. Food is such a variable thing. You have to sort out what YOU like and how it affects YOU.

Ken.

Ooops ! Here is the link.
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=breakfasts

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I don't get hungry too early, but my breakfast of choice now is soya milk (unsweetend, natch) with soya protein powder chocolate flavour, and frozen berries all mixed up in the blender, mmmmmmmmmmm

Zero carbs except the berries. If I want to up the fat for satiety I add soya cream :D

m_cooper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast?

what on earth do you have for breakfast without carbs

ChocFish

Howie be careful with ready-brek, the oats are too processed I think, well do your testing and see how it works for you.

I have always loved oats, I was probably a horse in a previous life, hmmmm, yeah I like the thought of that, a beautiful, glossy, sleek, ever so successful top race horse, yeah, definitely!!!

Ok the porridge used to send my bg sky high, I played around with it, I changed ready-brek to steel cut oats, you know those large flakes, and made it with soya milk, add a generous glug of double cream and sprinkled with cinnamon and sweetener of your choice, oooooooooooooohhhhhh so wicked and luxuriously creamy and it did not upset my bg at all. I had a few berries with it too.

Also do remember that you dont have to have the traditional breakfast foods at breakfast time, you can just about eat anything, I sometimes have the leftovers from the evening before.

All the best

Karen

Spiral

As well as greek yoghurt, double cream, flaked almonds and some kinf od berry (blueberries or raspberries, usually), I also do scrambled eggs with a dash of cream

I often have a veggie fry-up at weekends, but have recently discovered that the recipe or size of my favorite veggie sausage has changed and is now higher than it was, so I have reduced the number of sausages from 2 to 1

I have also discovered tofu based shakes which are higher protien and higher fat and quite low carb. My favorite is a Rose Elliott recipe for a lemon cheesecake shake, which also happens to be vegan. I plan to try a coffee frappucino type of shake tomorrow morning.

I also have nuts to hand in the event that I'm too disorganised to make something. Usualy macadamia nuts, almonds or walnuts, but often the Julian graves mixed nuts because they may be on special offer.

I used to eat porridge for breakfast before I started low carbing. I made my porridge with jumbo oats and oat bran, usually stirring in flaked or ground amonds and some raspberries. It didn't make me spike unacceptably high, but I had different sandards in those days (about 3 months ago) I think I may need to re-test.

Morning readings may be affected by liver dumps tho... or Dawn Phenomeon, mine often are :( I tend to have my highest readings in the morning if I don't eat quickly enough.

Pozzie

cugila said:
pozzie.

We could go on and on. Much of it could be not to your tastes.

Why not take a look at the previous Topics which all mention breakfast in the posts. You might find something there to suit YOU. Food is such a variable thing. You have to sort out what YOU like and how it affects YOU.

Ken.

Ooops ! Here is the link.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=breakfasts

Ok...sorry :oops:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hey Pozzie.

No need to be sorry. Like I said we can suggest anything but at the end of the day it is personal.

I couldn't face one of Spiral's breakfasts even if I was starving...... :lol:

Ken.

Spiral

cugila said:
I couldn't face one of Spiral's breakfasts even if I was starving...... :lol:

:shock: :roll:

Well that's you crossed off my breakfast list. I'll have you know my breakfasts are the talk of Darkest Buckinghamshire.