What Say Do I Have in my Medication?

pmtbrew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, bathing the children so a bit distracted, the carbs on a typical day is two slices of bread (22g carbs) 125g brown rice (38g carbs), salad, raspberries, blackberries and a total yoghurt (6.5g carbs), the rest of the diet is protein or fat

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, bathing the children so a bit distracted, the carbs on a typical day is two slices of bread (22g carbs) 125g brown rice (38g carbs), salad, raspberries, blackberries and a total yoghurt (6.5g carbs), the rest of the diet is protein or fat

Don't let them drown!

Was that what you ate when you were off Gliclazide? I do appreciate I'm being persistent.

How much protein are you eating? That can have an impact on your numbers.

pmtbrew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Typically between 200g and upto 300g in a day (mainly chicken and egg)

Fat ranges between 90g and 250g (oily fish)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Typically between 200g and upto 300g in a day (mainly chicken and egg)

Fat ranges between 90g and 250g (oily fish)

Still more questions. :D It's what I do best!

So, asking again. You have told me what you typically eat, but was that what you ate on the day without Gliclazide, or had you increased your carbs a bit to see how it would go without?

If you increased, what did you increase to?

Are those quoted figures for protein and fats the measured weight or protein and oily fish, or the protein and fat elements of that weight of food, as per the nutritional breakdowns?

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
raspberries and blackberries are full of sugar.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Going back to the original post where pmtbrew uses the words "body composition", I'm getting a body building vibe? I'd suggest you check into the work of John Kiefer on low carb ketogenic diet with carb backloading and resulting natural insulin spike used strategically after exercise. There's some great interviews/lectures on Youtube.

pmtbrew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an element of body building but only because the lower the body fat and the higher the lean body mass the more sensitive the body is to insulin.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is your 200g - 300g protein weight or food weight? If protein weight, you are almost certainly converting a portion of that to glucose.

pmtbrew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
It's protein weight (chicken, fish, pork), I have used protein as a 'filler' as I get the body off the carb crave

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I suggest you use fat as a filler. Any excess dietary protein for me gets converted to glucose over night and I get an elevated fasting. So this is likely to be the driver of your morning levels.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm not type 2 but know the issues of body fat... My body fat has stabilised with lashings of olive oil dressings, avocado and olives...lots of walnuts/pecans/brazil nuts. My weight and body fat has stabilised.

As a T1 I would never advise thinking that insulin could be an answer. Its a pain in the neck compared to tablets....

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would say you have every right to refuse to take a drug/medication. You have every right to request one as well. However, your doctor has every right to refuse that drug for your use just like they refuse to provide test strips etc.

pmtbrew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I'll try upping the unsaturated fats to see if that helps the sugars

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Ideally all doctor-patient discussions about drugs should involve the doctor providing info about the drug's goals, and pros and cons, and other ways to achieve the same goals, and the patient saying what they want and how relevant symptoms and drugs have been for them. Patients can request or decline drugs for any reason. Doctors can recommend drugs or decline requests for them, but when declining they have a duty to explain the reasons, answer questions, and offer alternative approaches where possible. If your doctor doesn't do this, try asking them to, and if they don't do it to your satisfaction, see a different doctor. They are being paid to provide a service to you, not to treat you like a child because you have less general medical knowledge than they do. That is the old approach, and not all doctors have caught up yet.