Wanting to go travelling for a year. Worries about medical supplies.

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Just wanting to get some advice regarding travelling for long periods of time and being a diabetic. I've travelled before but only ever for 4-5 weeks so I ensured I had enough supplies for this time and haven't had a problem.

However I'm starting to get the travel bug and I'm thinking of possibly travelling for a year although where I'm not a 100% decided as I'm unsure if it's possible.

I was wondering what experiences people have had in this situation and what the cost of supplies has been as I am clueless what money I would need to save for this. Currently I am on humalog vials which I use in a medtronic insulin pump. Obviously I would need to take humalog pens and lantus pens as a back up, alongside needles, test strips, back up meter, back up pump, glucagon and hypo stop gel. On top of that would be my medtronic pump supplies to.

Any help or advice would be brilliant as there doesn't seem to be much on google other than advising to take enough supplies with you which just isn't possible if going for a year.

Thanks

Helen

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no experience with traveling this long, but i would ensure that my medical coverage would allow me to fill prescriptions in countries along my travels, and just bring what i need and plan days where i would refill in pre-determined locations.

I don't know if you would be given a loner backup pump for an entire year though, you should check with your rep.

If you are staying in, or spending lots of time in developed countries this shouldn't be a big deal, just make sure you have supplies, and places to get supplies when you run out... I would think every 2-3 months or so you might want to pop into a developed country and fill up, and then be on your way. I would also think pens would be the lightest method - pump supplies could take up a lot of room without frequent fill ups.

I think i would do Pens, and my dexcom...

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes i was thinking that my pump may not be the easiet to manage but I would be concerned about my control with lots of changes to my routine and heat etc if I were to go back to injections again.

I would plan my journey around developed countries where I could access supplies but any ideas on costs? Obviously I know this would depend on the country etc but if anyone has done this and knows how much it cost that would be really useful. Perhaps Australia, New Zealand?

It feels so daunting but I've never let diabetes stop me before and I don't want to let it stop me now.

Thanks

Helen

Last edited by a moderator:

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have done it . It takes some research of course but I was able to find which countries have a Medtronic office and which don't . Insulin is really easy to get ( not like in the states lol ) and relatively cheaper. I also have an insulin pump.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also bear in mind that you probably won't have access to a fridge, and if you're travelling through hotter parts of the world you'll need Frio packs or similar to keep your insulin cool. Even with these insulin only lasts about 4 weeks, so you wouldn't want to stock up too much.

I hope you find a way to make it work though, I'm sure you'll have an excellent time!

Heatherlou18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wednesdays
Hi!!

I went travelling to oz and had my meds Fed ex'd by my Mum! The frio packs are great too. In an emergency BUPA centres can provide you with supplies as long as you have registered with whatever system they have set up over there - you can regisiter with australias version of the NHS where you get the meds at a lower rate

Reactions: 2 people

Dannypb81

Hi all,

Just wanting to get some advice regarding travelling for long periods of time and being a diabetic. I've travelled before but only ever for 4-5 weeks so I ensured I had enough supplies for this time and haven't had a problem.

However I'm starting to get the travel bug and I'm thinking of possibly travelling for a year although where I'm not a 100% decided as I'm unsure if it's possible.

I was wondering what experiences people have had in this situation and what the cost of supplies has been as I am clueless what money I would need to save for this. Currently I am on humalog vials which I use in a medtronic insulin pump. Obviously I would need to take humalog pens and lantus pens as a back up, alongside needles, test strips, back up meter, back up pump, glucagon and hypo stop gel. On top of that would be my medtronic pump supplies to.

Any help or advice would be brilliant as there doesn't seem to be much on google other than advising to take enough supplies with you which just isn't possible if going for a year.

Thanks

Helen
Hi there like you I wanted to go a bit a travelling so went to Oz and Thailand I have type 1 so had to think how to keep my insulin cool and have a supply for a year at least, because getting it posted was not a safe wat to get it.
So I went to BMW the car place and got a mini fridge it a bag that the mini car has in it cost about 150 but work so good all my insulin was cool and safe all u had to go was plug it in to w socket at night and charged it's cooling system.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could try for a private prescription for your meds, you can only get 3 months supply on NHS scripts.

Another problem could be that if you're out of the country for more than 3 months you're going to have to prove you intend to live permanently in the UK.

Try looking at this, it has lots of useful info. http://www.independentage.org/factsheets/moving-to-and-returning-from-abroad/

And all the best if you do decide to go. :D

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-5_17-42-28.png
    upload_2015-8-5_17-42-28.png
    232.8 KB · Views: 209

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm fairly sure that Humalog is not nearly as readily available in SE Asia as Novo, in fact I seem to remember it's very difficult to get due to the licence or something. If you are planing on a long SE Asia trip it may be worth seeing about changing over to NovoRapid before you go so you can be sure of picking up a supply without any issue (a lot of drugs in this part of the world don't need a prescription, just pay a pharmacy a visit!)