what do you guys suggest for breakfast?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Spiral.

That's what I heard ? Seems I have been saved from a fate worse than death. :D

Ken.

Actually Spiral, I did try Tofu once. It mended the hole in my shoe a treat !! :lol:

Spiral

harumph....

Off to bed now to better prepare myself for the delights of a coffee frappuccino tofu protien shake for breakfast in the morning.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
So I'm off the guest list then. :(

Just as I thought we were getting on so well.....I blow it in a moment of madness. :cry:

Sorry Spiral. Night, night.

Ken. x

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
Spiral said:
harumph....

Off to bed now to better prepare myself for the delights of a coffee frappuccino tofu protien shake for breakfast in the morning.

oh my good lord... I don't even want to imagine what that tastes like...

I stick to either meat of dairy products in the morning...

Spiral

For anyone interested, the coffee frapuccino tofu protien shake was really nice, I might adapt the recipe a bit to thicken it up, but as it was it was less than 3 carbs.

inwales

curlyheadfreak said:
I have just munched my way through a pint of freshly juiced green veggies and a bowl of avocado, pumpkin seeds and tomato yummy :D

Green juicing is ownderful. Raw is the law as they say!

What greens did you have?

Spiral

scottishkate said:
Spiral, I'm interested (even if no-one else is!)

Share the recipe please...

Katie :D

This was out of one of Rose Elliot's low carb veggie books, she calls it Fabulous Frapuccino. I teasp of decent quality instant coffee, 1 scoop of soya protien isolate powder, 150ml water (although I replaced the water with soya milk), 55g tofu, 2 tablesp soya cream, sweetener of your choice to taste. Whizz it all up together until smooth and creamy, drink it staight away. Only 1.7 carbs if you use the water and just over 2 if you use soya milk, higher protien to with the soy protien powder. It was really nice.

red

If you have 2 eggs and bacon every morning, will too many eggs cause a problem in the long term, I think I read this once, or is this a myth?

Spiral

red said:
If you have 2 eggs and bacon every morning, will too many eggs cause a problem in the long term, I think I read this once, or is this a myth?

A lot of the conventional wisdom is a load of old rubbish, red :?

There has been some fairly recent research, which was reported on the BBC website (my oracle) that said that eggs contain the "good" cholesterol and the advice to limit eggs was reversed :roll:

You only need to look at some of the numbers posted in the signatures of some of the long term low carbers to see how good their numbers are on rejecting a lot of that conventional wisdom.

The other thing is that, usually, normal = male and there are different norms for women, especially in relation to cholesterol and normal for us is higher than normal for men.

What are your numbers?

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Red,
The following confirms Spirals post:

Over 30 years of prospective epidemiological surveys of CHD risk have consistently found no independent relationship between dietary cholesterol or egg consumption and CHD risk1 . In addition, there is strong evidence showing that the effects of cholesterol-rich foods on blood cholesterol are small and clinically insignificant in comparison with the effects of dietary saturated fatty acids (SFA). SFA influence the level of circulating low density lipoprotein (LDL)-cholesterol to a much greater extent than dietary cholesterol in foods such as eggs.2

http://www.nutritionandeggs.co.uk/chole ... erol1.html

Graham

red

Hi Spiral
my hba1c last week was 7.3. this was low carbing fo rthe last 3 months at 40 carbs. have also lost 2 stone in last 3 months. I didnt have an updated hba1c b4 that to compare to but my numbers were in the 20.s when I have no holds barred on eating. I cant beleive that i have only just found out that it is only by lowering, or restricting my carbs that I can have any control whatsoever on my eating. Ive not been to the doctors a lot and sort of gone it alone over the years, probably denial I guess and also was 21 stone, but looking back now after reading up on this forum, I realize now that I was probably quiet ill a lot of the time from high bg and was a b......... carb freak addict. I think sometimes it felt like I almost eat myself into a bloody coma. anyway getting away from your question.

I had lots of tests on the blood test last week and only know what the Hba1c means from reading on here, i asked my nurse what about my other levels and she said that they were all fine for kidney and chlosteral, she said she would send me a copy, but probably wont. I dont think they want you to understand things or discuss it. they also took off me my testing strips off my presecription.

Most of my readings on my own machine are between 6.5 and 11, the mornings and evenings are when it goes up, between about 10am and 3pm Im usally about 7.

Spiral

red, you have done really well to get it down to 7.3% from the readings you were getting to start with :D :D :D

Over the last few weeks, since I cut the carbs, I think I have learned the difference between carb cravings and real hunger. I always felt hungry when I was eating carbs, so I overate :?

What justification was given for removing your test strips? My understanding of the NICE guidelines are that diabetics using diet alone are entitled to them. My next project will be to get my GP to tell me how many I am allowed - I have used hundreds of the darned things and had only 150 on prescription :?

Regarding your actual numbers, you need to know what they are. I have developed an "interesting" relationship with some of the staff at my surgery in relatin to getting my test results :roll: I went in one day to collect the fasting test results and was told 6.9, I was very pleased and the receptinist told me that wasn't a good number - it was for me, down from 8.4 :D I rang in for my last HbA1c and was told it was "satisfactory" after having to wait for it for 2 days while doctor looked at it first :roll: when I asked what the number actually was I was told 7%, which made me feel quite dissapointed as I'd hoped for a better result after all the changes I'd made.

Ask your GP or nurse for a print out - the test results are about you. My GP offered me a print out when he saw me writing them down. If you don't get one contact the Practice Manager (I love Practice Managers) and s/he will arrange for you to get one.

If your medical team have seen the results you were getting at the start they will see what a major effort you have been making to reduce your readings, also evidenced in your weight loss. You are the kind of patient they want and they should support you. The NHS has very low expectations of a change in behaviour in its diabetic patients, you can evidence why they should be supporting you with test strips and accurate information about your numbers.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
It Is a myth, bring on the eggs ..................... :lol:

Spiral

Red, did they also do your cholesterol? You were asking about that as well. I posted my lipid numbers here when I got them and got a lot of reassurance that they were okay and so refused the statins again, much to my poor GPs consternation.

I think the other thing you need to do, especially as you are diet only, is tell them what kind of support you want from them. Because I had reduced the HbA1c to 7% they were satisfied and I got the impression my GP didn't want to see me again for 6 months :shock: I want a 3-monthly HbA1c until I reach what I find acceptable control (normal readings and a seat on the 5% couch) and have managed to sustain it for at least 6 months.

If there are problems in my control I will consider medication to get there and keep myself there. I am considering medication at the moment as it would be nice to get the benefit of the weight loss associated with metformin and make the numbers get to where I want them a bit quicker. Metformin also has the advantage of being a gateway to free prescriptions...

I bought a pre-pay certificate a couple of months ago, I have tuned in to a bit of a wreak over the last 6 months. I hardly ever saw my GP, but over the last year and a bit I have practically lived in the surgery and now have 4 things on repeat prescription :shock: I think this is a right of passage for a middle aged woman :roll:

red

hi spiral :D ,
the nurse said 'all' my levels were in the normal range apart from the 7.3 hba1c, including cholestral was normal or fine. She didnt seem to want me to look at the numbers or really go into it, and Idont know the hell what I am asking about, so I just left it. she did say she would post them so ill see.
Yes I am too considering taking the met. to help with the numbers and with the weight loss. do you have alot of weight to lose if you dont mind me asking? I am still 19 stone so have a long way to go. I think I have more or less decided that I am going to diet for one more month and try to loose another stone, and see if I can get my bg under 7 by then, as loosing the 2 stone does seemed to have helped already. It will be interesting know if you choose to take them. Its seems like a hard decision. I dont know if I have got wonky logic, but the threat of having to take more tablets is something that helps me stay on track!! I dont really understand about drugs, or an awful lot about diabetes, but I thought that as I was trying to get used to responding to my body that this would be clearer for me to achieve without drugs, if it is at all possible. but of course I dont want to sustain any ,damage as I go along (with the high bg numbers).

Spiral

red, the NHS has very low standards for acceptable and normal, especially in relation to diabetics and very low expectations that we will change our behaviour.

I have a massive amount of weight to lose - similar to you. I have to be half the woman I was at diagnosis. I think I have lost somewhere between 1/4 to 1/3 of the weight I need to lose since February. I don't get anywhere near so many headaches, I have more energy and my posture has improved. I am very resistant to "diets" and jumping on and off scales several times a day, which I don't think is healthy. I get weighed when I see my GP. But this isn't a weight loss diet, the weight loss is secondary to normalising my blood sugar. This diet is for the rest of my life, I have to normalise my blood sugar if I want to grow old disgracefully. I can't afford to fail.

I am also amused by the irony of the food I'm eating, it isn't exactly a hardship and it contains more fat than I have porbably eaten in the last year :lol: :lol: :lol:

To take control of our condition we must educate ourselves and understand what the numbers actually mean and what we can do to improve them and know when we are at risk, especially as the average low carb breakfast looks like a heart attack on a plate to anyone who sees the conventional NHS wisdom on diet as the One True Way.

We can't do that if we don't have all the information. Especially if what we are doing is not with the blessing of our health care team :? This is what informed decision making and choice is about. I have had the same GP for 20 years and I have an excellent relationship with him, but I am not the world's most compliant patient and I have rejected the advice given by my GP in relation to managing my diabetes.

Because of this, I have to educate myself so that I will know how I'm doing on the course of action I have taken. My GP would like to get me back on to a more conventional path :| I have to find a way of working with him that means he keeps supporting me with the blood tests I want and the repeat prescriptions I need.

red

Hi spiral,
thanks for your response, I think we do sound similiar in several ways.
from reading you posts I see it is a good idea to understand the 'numbers' from results,
which is what you have set out to do. Question is the way you learn what the numbers mean
by reading on the forum? I hate to sound awkard but I just dont think I would get any explaination
at my gp surgery. the gp just mumbles and never wants to tell you anything, and if you ask
he says things like. You dont need to know or just loose weight, and then I feel like killing him, so I dont ask becuase it just makes me angry and I dont want to feel that way and you still dont find anything out anyway. Ive not even really discussed ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING with him about this diabetes, I fear that if I even brought it up he would say take meds, and then when he has said something that is most certainly the end of the conversation. there is no conversation.

There is a nurse at the surgery who is very nice, I have spoke to her recently and she gave me my 7.3 hba1c result, but she did sort of say eat rice and potatoes!!!!!! and so I just though yikkes! so I then just come back to this forum.

Anyway thats enough of that, is there anything already on this posts that anyone can point to that helps you to self help you undestand the results, or a book.
regards red