what made you chose your meter

shellyj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
drugs,achool,smoking,
I got chose my mine meter as it was giving to me at the diabetes class I go to I have a bayer contour

Marky74

I have the Optium Xceed, as it was given to me by my DSN as it tests keytones as well..

Although I love gadgets so if there is a betetr one, I am open to suggestions.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
My 10 yr old has 2 lifescan one touch ultraeasy, 1 brown and 1 green, there small and funky and look like MP3 players. Plus a few Bayer ascensia contours, both are excellent and Bayer are bringing out a gadget that connects to a DS or DS Lite for a fun way to bs test, it rewards through testing and play. Designed for children in mind, but i'm sure a few adults wouldn't mind one, theres a link somewhere for it on the forum.
All testing kits were given to him by DN and reps at kids Diabetic weekends, plus i bought one at the chemist as a back up in the early days.
Suzi x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
They were free. Drug companies fall over themselves to hand them out.

I have 2.
An Accu-Chek Aviva which I use every day and is just perfect. Clear display and easy to use. Finger pricker has to be the best around. Uses test strips and needs a coding chip.

An Ascensia Breeze 2 which is a disc strip machine and needs no coding. I keep this in the car as my device to test when I am out driving. Compact and again easy to use. No handling of the test strips. The finger pricker is like some medieval torture instrument so has been replaced with an Accu-Chek Multiclix device. So much better.

Ken.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I use a Bayer contour, chosen because it never needs recoding or calibrating with control solutions.

ShyGirl

First one was given to me in Hospital three years ago.
Second one was given to me by clinic in December.
Third one was free.

richieh

Hi,
I've used Accu-Chek Aviva for about 5 years now mainly because they were one of the first to offer the management software and PC connection for free(call to register). In that time I've had 3 which I tend to bin 1, demote 1(backup) and use the new as the primary meter. This means I need to keep the strips the same.

Unfortunately mine got stolen so I had to replace it with some degree of urgency and found the Aviva Nano... Which is awesome....
For me I have several things I like in a meter:
1) It must have a carry puch which contains everything in 1 place, but be small enough to fit in my suit/jacket pocket

2) It must be quick(most are less than 5s)

3) It must be able to download to a PC and be able to print out the log book

4) Recently I got frustrated whilst in bed as I had enough light to do the test but not enough to read the result(didn't want to wake the wife by turning on the light). So I wanted a light up display.

I'm happy to say the Nano does all this and more. I haven't checked all the features yet(read a manual....) but you seem to be able to tag readings presumeably, this can then be output in the log(lunch, hypo etc).

I was offered a meter by my nurse for Ketones but she advised that you shouldn't go looking for these things unless your ill(micro management yadedada)

Also I've just been on a continuous 72 hour monitoring system which was interesting to see 3 days worth of results on a graph, well worth asking about.

Hope this helps..

stuart bilbey

I chose an abbot free style because software cost nothing and i keep all my results on computer it
is very good system to have easy to use S.E.Bilbey

Spiral

I have 2. Both were free.

I got the Accu-chek Aviva when I called Roche customer services and I got the Bayer Contour from the competition on this website

The strips cost so much that I'm not planning on spending a penny more than I have to.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
I was given a Compact plus on diagnosis from the DSN, I also have the Aviva Nano free, a Contour which like others I got from the forum "competition" I did not win but they gave me one anyway, I also bought a Freestyle Lite from Asda for £4. The reason I keep all four is it gives me more options when buying strips from Ebay :D

Graham

Stunning

Dislikes
The so-called Diabetic team at the hospital!!!
I have two meters and both were free from their respective companies.

My main meter is the FREESTYLE LITE and I have used this for some time now. 5 sec. test, software etc etc.

My back-up is the ACCU-CHEK COMPACT PLUS, which i also find very good.

BTW, does anyone still use an EXACTECH meter? (Sp.?)

DS

Dobbs

There was a special promotion on at the chemist. (Honestly.) The Freestyle Lite was about £1 off, and claimed it needed less blood to work than any other meter, so I bought it. I like it, but then I've no experience of any other.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I used an Optium+ for years, and still have it in reserve as it will test for ketones. My main one is a Bayer Contour, handy with my pump as it beams the test result to the pump, so is great for the bolus wizard feature and CGM sensor calibration. But why do neither of them have a backlight for the display? An irritating omission.

stuart bilbey

my meter is the abbot freestyle lite is easy to use and costs nothing to work on my computor and
given to me by practice nurse. stuart bilbey.