Tamiflu and diabetes

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
At this stage, swine flu antiviral Tamiflu is considered the first-line response to swine flu cases. Although Tamiflu has been linked to side effects amongst children, does Tamiflu have contraindications and cause side effects amongst people with diabetes?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
TAMIFLU [Oseltamivir]

There are side effects of this drug but none appear to be specific to Diabetics according to the BNF.
However there does appear to be some other evidence that it may be linked to aggravation of Diabetes. I am still looking for valid information regarding this ?

The known side-effects are:
nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea; headache; conjunctivitis; less commonly rash; also reported, hepatitis, arrhythmias, neuropsychiatric disorders (in children and adolescents), visual disturbances, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and toxic epidermal necrolysis.

There are cautions and contra-indications for the following groups.
Cautions: Those suffering renal impairment, who are pregnant. Breast-feeding mothers.

Ken.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Further to the previous post there is not much evidence out there. I found this validated information: ( Roche)

Observed During Clinical Practice for Treatment
The following adverse reactions have been identified during postmarketing use of TAMIFLU. Because these reactions are reported voluntarily from a population of uncertain size, it is not possible to reliably estimate their frequency or establish a causal relationship to TAMIFLU exposure.
1. General: Rash, swelling of the face or tongue, toxic epidermal necrolysis
2. Digestive: Hepatitis, liver function tests abnormal
3. Cardiac: Arrhythmia
4. Neurologic: Seizure, confusion
5. Metabolic: Aggravation of diabetes

So. I think it's a definite maybe. :? You should discuss with your GP.

Hope that helps ?

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
In any case since it affects the digestive system, There are implications for insulin users. My GP did tell me that one of the other doctors in the practice had taken it and it was worse than the flu.

TheScribbler

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
The Health Protection Agency did a small survey (not published, I think) of schoolchildren prescribed Tamiflu as a preventative measure when the virus first hit schools. It found that a fairly high proportion of children did not finish the course because of the side effects. Unless someone persuades me that the flu will put me at serious risk of complications because of my diabetes, I would rather avoid Tamiflu. The potential side effects, which appear to be quite common, seem to outweigh the benefits for most people. As the medical profession is well aware of the side effects of Tamiflu, I'm surprised that they are so willing to hand it out. I think I would rather take a couple of paracetamol.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I have read that Tamiflu has the side effect of vomitting and diarrohea so if you combine this with a temperature which is normal with influenza then the risk of upsetting blood glucose levels and dehydration maybe more than not taking the anti-viral, I think. I am not sure I want to take it especially as the benefits don't seem to make such a big difference to people with the virus.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
According to what I have read, Piggyflu is a less severe illness than Seasonal flu. Most of us don't use antivirals for seasonal flu. Although many diabetics are immunised.
One thing we do need to remember that flu ISN'T just a BAD COLD. I'm not even sure that a stuffy nose is part of the symptoms, although Sore throat is.

pip

Hi, although not yet diagnosed (waiting on second fasting test, first was 7mmol) I believe I had swine flu last week, our GP does not do the official test but I had all symptoms and for a few days I did feel awfu, it was nothing like a coldl. I decided against using the Tamiflu and rode out the virus, My levels did jump up and were sitting between 9 and 14 no matter what I did (not on medication) for a few days, a couple of days rest in bed and over the counter painkillers were enough. Everybody has to do what they feel is best for them but I believe the media has blown it out of proportion and for most people it is an illness which they will recover from on their own given time and rest.

lionrampant

I wish I had the links handy, but I recall reading that Tamiflu can leave you more vulnerable to secondary infections - and that's far worse than the flu itself. Additionally, Tamiflu only shortened the duration of symptoms by one day.

Methinks I'd just stick with Flu Plus and/or a hot toddie.

moggy

on the 3 rd day with swine flu and on tamiflu no side affects so far,apart from everything that goes with swine flu just beinging to eat some solid but has not affected my b/s/ counts very much, which is very uncanny, it is very nasty and i would avoid if at all possable.worn me out writing this message time to rest.

take care moggy :(

Jasmin

Im concerned as I also have Myeloma, so far the talk has been re:diabetes as a complication no mention of how th Flu effects those with various cancers. After reading the possible side effects I think I may take a chance on the flu. Jasmin

lilibet

Our practice is treating non risk patients as per any other flu - rest, fluid, paracetamol

I was told that I would be a priority for Tamiflu and irrespective of side effects (given you only take it for a week at a time) its better that than a potential admission to hospital for uncontrolled BG and therefore high risk of DKA

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
Moggy wish you to recover fully and that you don't get any horrible complications.

peppiB

Have been in bed with swine flu since Tuesday. This is my first (part) day up. As a diabetic my GP did not give me tamiflu just kept me on codine and imodium to ease the inevitable 'runs'. BG levels have been raised all week (averaging high nines) and I stopped taking metformin as bowel was already suffering. Now I am feeling better, I will re commence metformin tomorrow. Hope all other sufferers feel better soon

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
im starting to just get over swine flu and chose not to have tamiflu , i tend to have allergies to many meds and a friend who had it felt extremely ill so i chose not to, altho i do feel like pooh lol :D