glucose strips

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
How many glucose strips am I entitled too as my doctor is only giving me 100 a month which seems very little due to me using 7-8 a day through been very active,some people might think 7-8 might be a little extreme :)

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
How many glucose strips am I entitled too as my doctor is only giving me 100 a month which seems very little due to me using 7-8 a day through been very active,some people might think 7-8 might be a little extreme :)
Most people only get about 50 I think, if you are type 2 then you are very lucky to get any as most of us can't. Think way back in the post somebody only got 25

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To my knowledge there's no set number of strips, but you should be given what you need. Strips for people with Type 1 shouldn't be restricted.

Have you spoken to your GP about it? Some GPs simply don't understand the number of tests necessary. As you've recently been diagnosed, it'd make sense you may have to test to ensure your insulin is correct, but i wouldn't say 7 or 8 tests was excessive.

I get 250 a month.

Reactions: 2 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ty for that no i haven t spoken to my g.p about it but 250 sounds about right :) otherwise i ll change my GP

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Most people only get about 50 I think, if you are type 2 then you are very lucky to get any as most of us can't. Think way back in the post somebody only got 25
type 1 :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hopefully you shouldn't need to change your GP. I suggest you phone and explain how often you need to test and suggest an appropriate amount of strips per month, explaining that 100 isn't enough for you.

There's guidance that says test strips shouldn't be restricted for people like yourself who use insulin. But just try a polite explanation and request first maybe and see how you get on :)

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
100 a month isn't anywhere near enough, as poohtiggy and azure say have a word with your gp and if they won't increase the amount ask your DSN/Consultant to write to them saying that you need at least 200 strips on each request.

In 2013 all gp surgeries were sent a letter from the Dept of Health warning Dr's not to restrict test strips for people with type 1 diabetes, here is the letter:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../Safe-care-of-people-with-type-1-diabetes.pdf

Reactions: 5 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ty guys for the info I will be speaking with the nurse on wednesday :) have a good day guys ;)

iHs

Hi

Looking at Dr H's letter to GP surgeries, look at paragraph 8

'In summary, it is essential that people with Type 1 diabetes are prescribed sufficient SBGM testing strips for their clinical needs.'

Remember to make a point of getting enough bg teststrips for your clinical needs and not what the GP thinks your clinical need should be.

All type 1s using bolus basal and pumps should be getting approx 200 to 300 strips per month and anything less greatly jeopardises the safety of these regimes.

Reactions: 6 people

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would think that you should be testing at least 6 times per dy, morning, lunch, evening meal and bedtime as a minimum. Then if you are driving test before you start driving. Of course if you ave either high or lows and have adjusted your insulin or are feeling poorly you may need to test more often than that

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
I think 7-8 sounds fine and is in line with what I use. I was told to test every half an hour when doing exercise, so an hour's workout is 3 strips on top of the basic 4 if you are not say eating a meal straight after your workout. I also test every time I feel 'funny' and I like to test before I leave work too - I don't want to be that person who delays the train as passenger taken ill if I can help it!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was given 150 per month at my current GP surgery, but was starting to experience days of not enough strips. I wrote to my GP saying how many tests I'd done over 4 weeks, demonstrating that I needed 200 strips per month, not 150. My prescription was changed without any problem.

Amsjadee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
sports, reading
I get 100 every time I put a prescription into my pharmacy and I don't think I have a limit to how many times I put in a prescription

HaroldC

As this is the type 1 forum, I assume you're type 1. 7-8 seems fine to me. Your GP is getting confused between type 1 & type 2 diabetes (I regularly have to explain this basic medical fact to GPs, they don't know much. We just need them to sign the paperwork, OK?).
I get 200/ 28 days. I tell the GP I need more. They say, "oh no". I tell them, "when I need more, I will order more, and that will mean that occasionally I shall order a new batch in a fortnight." .
If you're clear, decisive and forthright, they'll realise they've no choice.
You could ask them if they'd be prepared to act as a witness in court for you to defend the fact that you can't test your blood sugar before driving because they advise that you don't need the test strips, and so refuse to prescribe. That'd make 'em think.
Another trick I've got up my sleeve is suggesting to a recalcitrant GP that if I changed GP surgeries every 3 weeks, and shuttled between a couple of doctors, I could get a prescription more often and get the number of strips I require to maintain a healthy HbA1c. I've not had to pull that one yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and being given 50 a month! I'm having to request more every fortnight and each time I do I have to explain why to the GP receptionist!

S

Shar67

I spoke to my GP and went through my testing routine, I now have a prescription for 200 and I can ask for more just have to put script into chemist

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'm type 1 and being given 50 a month! I'm having to request more every fortnight and each time I do I have to explain why to the GP receptionist!
That's terrible. Print off that government letter that is in a post above, and take it to your doctor, who should tell all staff what to do.

M

mammamia2006

I went through a phase of getting 100 per month but spoke to GP and explained that to get tight control, 100 strips would barely last a week. I now get a prescription for either 500 or 1000, depending on the mood of the gp that day.

Aginoth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get 200 every 28 days.

Testing 7 times a day for 28 days is 196 strips. So means I have 4 spare for when I do something stupid like put strip in upside down and then add blood....D'OH

I'd go for a freestyle Libre but not so keen on the 10 minute BG accuracy delay, nor the fact the meter doesn't do carb/dose counts like the Insulinx.