Type 2 What might I eat gluttonously that won't cause a blood glucose spike?

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are these 9 Bars low carb? Can't find the breakdown on their site.

If you go into the 'Shop' and look at individual items you can get the nutrition info. The newer recipe super seed bars are between 10-14g each, but incredibly filling and lots of healthy fats. My personal fave at the moment is the peanut one, reminds me of a snickers :hungry:

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recommend an 80, 85, even 90% cocoa solids chocolate bar to be resident permanently in the fridge. I never can overdose on this, it's quite overpowering, but one or two squares now and then can be a great thing, because, yay, it's chocolate.
Grated, it's a useful addition to cream and a few berries. Or to home-made low-carb ice-cream.
A cheese slice (for ease, a plastic pack of cheese slices of which there are countless varieties in the supermarket) on a romaine lettuce leaf, with or without marmite and/or peanut butter.
Celery and cream cheese.
A cup of vegetable stock.
Coffee with cream.
These are my main go-to snacks or elements. All yum.

Reactions: 8 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Search for "fat bombs" - there are heaps of recipes out there.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The carbs look quite high on 9 bars. Perhaps I'll give them a miss.
Whilst I'm not a T2, I find that 9bars do have a similar bg profile to apples so I need to use insulin with them. Some t2s find the seed content reduces the spike.

olala

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm type 1, but I'm trying to keep my carbs low, so let me share my way with it:

I don't know if it's available in UK, but here in Bosnia we have my favorite, almost no-carbs (yet, as full of calories as normal) stevia-sweetened chocolate. I don't like how stevia tastes, and this is the only product I can eat that contains this false-sugar. It's delicious and almost like real milk chocolate. I also saw some lactose-free ice cream (thous relatively low-carbs), but it was too hot to carry the whole box from the shop to try it. I bet you can find something similar in shops around you.

Also I recommend any smoothies with berries (fresh or frozen). Based on a bit of low-fat or full-fat yoghourt, you can add something green. Add peanut butter. For sweetness I'm adding half of a banana. My favorite recipe is take some low-fat yoghurt, add half a banana, few almonds, two full spoons of flax seeds, at least one big spoon of peanut butter (i prefer the crunch one) and frozen raspberries. Blend and in the end, since it's the season add some fresh raspberries. In fact any fruits will do. It's my favorite either for a full meal either as a dessert after a light lunch. With frozen fruits, now it's like ice cream almost.

When I was particularly desperate in the winter time I was doing kind of a warm jam from frozen berries and xylitol, just by heating it for few minutes, sometimes making something pudding-like by adding almond flour. You can also use it as a sauce for almond-flour omelet or pancakes. It can be very fulfilling.

Hope it helps! Good luck with finding something you will enjoy as much as the full-carbs treats!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Gill0912

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I especially am now unable to turn to food that I find comforting to soothe the sting of a challenge with blood glucose control, I was wondering if there is any tasty ingredient or combination of them available in a refrigerator or pantry in which I can consume in mass quantities until the space of that emotional void feels a little fuller?
POPCORN, salted is good, doesn't taste as good as salt n sugar tho ;-(

Reactions: 8 people

MarMar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Beanitos chips and salsa! Crazy yummy. Low glycemic. And they have protein and fiber. You can get them on Amazon if they are not in stores near you.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Beanitos chips and salsa! Crazy yummy. Low glycemic. And they have protein and fiber. You can get them on Amazon if they are not in stores near you.
12 crisps is 16g of carbs! I would rather eat it as a bar of 85% chocolate

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make low carb brownies, cheesecake slice and muffins that I keep in the freezer. It took me a bit of time to find LC recipes that I liked but it was well worth it. You should have a look on Pinterest, its a great place to find LC swaps for whatever you might be craving.

MarMar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
12 crisps is 16g of carbs! I would rather eat it as a bar of 85% chocolate
The carbs in a high fiber food like beans will not raise your blood sugar. That is what he was asking about. Beanitos and other bean chips are low glycemic so you can eat a bunch without spiking your blood numbers.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The carbs in a high fiber food like beans will not raise your blood sugar. That is what he was asking about. Beanitos and other bean chips are low glycemic so you can eat a bunch without spiking your blood numbers.
That's a pretty bold statement - I find that beans and legumes spike me just as high as any other food with the same amount of total carbs (noting that our labels have fibre already deducted from the total carb count). It's like anything else with this weird and wonderful disease, you need to eat to your meter and find out what spikes you as an individual. I have to be very careful with the amount of beans I add, so usually I don't bother with them, except for small amounts in the occasional chilli.

Reactions: 10 people

bmorgen

I really like avocados a lot. I read this recipe on a website that suggested making a chocolate pudding out of an avocado with stevia and cocoa. I followed it exactly, but was shocked to discover that it tasted like a practical joke.

The good news is that nearly all the carbs in cocoa are fibre, and so don't count. Fruit sugar, aka fructose, can be used to sweeten cocoa without spikes. But the anti-fructose people will guilt you into an early grave.