Winning A Diabetes UK Inspire Award

george895

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On April 25th I was awarded the London Region Supporting Others Award. The award was presented to me by Richard Lane. The award was given to me for the amount of time and effort I've put into supporting people living with HIV and diabetes.

On 8th October 2014 I became the founder of the first HIV and diabetes group H.A.D we also have a website.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 72,945
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: 6 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's absolutely amazing, George. We'd love to feature you on the DCUK blog (diabetes.co.uk/blog) - please drop an email to [email protected] to discuss this further :)

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations George :smug:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done.. Its lovely to get recognised for the invaluable voluntary work that you do

I'm proud that my GP Patient Practice Group got a runners up award and 'highly commended" after being the Chair for 1 year of it. This was from all the Practices in England and Wales. We helped with 45 imorovements last year for our patients and had only 2 members regularly attending. We now have up to 17 attending meetings and over 100 that are in our group as participating or virtual.

It is great to help people... And lovely to hear of people getting recognition for their help. Well done you..

george895

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done.. Its lovely to get recognised for the invaluable voluntary work that you do

I'm proud that my GP Patient Practice Group got a runners up award and 'highly commended" after being the Chair for 1 year of it. This was from all the Practices in England and Wales. We helped with 45 imorovements last year for our patients and had only 2 members regularly attending. We now have up to 17 attending meetings and over 100 that are in our group as participating or virtual.

It is great to help people... And lovely to hear of people getting recognition for their help. Well done you..

Well done you as well. It was a big step for me approaching Diabetes UK and being so open about my HIV status and then to go up on stage and get an award that was even a bigger one and yet I've had no come back. Everyone I met was so supportive.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A great post to read, so pleased for you and congratulations :)

With my very best wishes RRB

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done you as well. It was a big step for me approaching Diabetes UK and being so open about my HIV status and then to go up on stage and get an award that was even a bigger one and yet I've had no come back. Everyone I met was so supportive.

I think most rational people have now moved on from their "HIV phobia". I recently read an article which stated that it was worse to have diabetes than HIV!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Congratulations George, you must have been a great help and an inspiration to all those suffering with these two awful conditions

george895

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think most rational people have now moved on from their "HIV phobia". I recently read an article which stated that it was worse to have diabetes than HIV!
That's true...the people I've spoken to who are living with HIV and diabetes have said the same thing.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't know you George but this is such a lovely thread to see. Congrats and well deserved. Thank you.