Camp 'coffee'
Ingredients:
Sugar, Water, Chicory (26%), Coffee (4%) :p

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks rowan:)

It was all we could afford when kids so we didn't know any better, its years later when you taste real coffee that you look back and reflect how awful it was.

I grew up not liking coffee and didn't drink it for years, all because of Camp, or the cheaper version of coffee and chicory essence that my mum used to get! Can't remember the name of it but it was bad! :yuck:

We did have a percolator that got used very rarely, but it used to boil the coffee, you could see it bubbling through the glass top! I'm sure coffee isn't meant to be boiled?
It was still better than the other stuff though ;)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks rowan:)

It was all we could afford when kids so we didn't know any better, its years later when you taste real coffee that you look back and reflect how awful it was.

I used to think it looked like something you'd shake over chips, but I liked the picture on the bottle! :)

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to work at Kenco in the 1960/70s when it was a small concern. Had a big commercial coffee maker in the office and used to go down to the roasting floor for refills. It ruined it for me when out and about if I wanted a cup of coffee, it always tasted inferior. I now use a Krups machine and Lavazza coffee.

Reactions: 6 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lofbergs Lila Harmoni or Lofbergs Lila Serenad both are ekological (organic) ground coffees from Totally Swedish. We make it in a cafetiere. I only drink it at weekends usually, black, nothing else.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The Swedes, who REALLY love their coffee, have been doing really high-quality research on coffee and its health benefits, or otherwise, for decades (even centuries), and have also researched its affect on diabetics. They have some research that even suggests that lots of coffee is good for diabetics - ie one sees health benefits with more than four or five cups a day, I think it was, but it might even be higher - I'm just going from memory here. And no benefits, but not bad for you if its a more humble 1-3 cups a day.

In fact, in Sweden they practically call coffee a health drink! (Saying it positively affects as in prevents cancer, nerve diseases, and heart diseases, as well as good for BG control.)

I too understand that there are other issues with coffee - ie the fungi that Brunneria mentions, and lots of its affect on adrenals and cortisol levels (which one would imagine affects diabetics), ditto on sleeplessness, as we know sleeplessness is not good for anyone let alone diabetics because of the cortisol-big belly-diabetes connection. (And I say this as someone seriously prone to a big belly - had one off and on for years - and as a serious coffee lover!) (Yeah - I can't drink coffee after 5pm without staying awake past my bedtime. But no worries if I stick to that.)

But being diabetic means so many beloved foods and so on are now on the 'off list' - I would get seriously sad if coffee was on it too! Especially when the Swedes keep saying - hey - go for it! :).

There would be a revolution in Sweden if coffee was seriously on an 'off list'. Imagine living in greatly reduced hours of daylight without a lovely fairly-if-not-entirely-benign liquid drug?! (Coffee is great in greatly increased hours of summer daylight too!)

Yay Swedish coffee researchers! Yay for this fabulous liquid drug!

(all the research and findings come up with a simple google of 'swedish research and coffee'. There's a ton of it.)

This article says that coffee may not be good for those diabetics on insulin:
http://www.caffeineinformer.com/coffee-and-diabetes
but beneficial for those using diet and exercise as treatment.

But this is the big piece of research back in 2004, and is why drinking coffee is even suggested to treat T2D in Sweden -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15147528 :
CONCLUSIONS:
The results of this study indicated that high consumers of coffee have a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance. The beneficial effects may involve both improved insulin sensitivity and enhanced insulin response.

Reactions: 4 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I love love love my stove top stainless steel 6 cup espresso maker....it has seen me through the last 10+yrs. Couldn't part with it now, lasted longer than my marriage, ahem.
I use single estate coffee from wherever and its gotta be Strong. Used to drink the full 6 in 2 mugs, with either soya milk or soya cream. At night would have it with a healthy glug of Rum, on occasion of course.

In May when my D symptoms made themselves known and my thyroid started acting up, I made an executive decision to cut out coffee cause of the adrenal stuff and soya connection. Not gonna lie, the withdrawal was miserable.

Recently I brought my baby out of the cupboard and brewed a cup of goodness, all in the name of experimentation. Black coffee with butter and hazelnut milk.... dear lord it was good.
Now I'm eyeing up the lactofree cream, mixed with butter, a bit of vanilla essence and my dear love, coffee, only one cup, once a day. Just might make this life on planet diabetic, ok....

Reactions: 4 people

alantat61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ok coffee I would say I drink quite a lot with semi skimmed so is this going to affect my blood sugars ?? Completely confused

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok coffee I would say I drink quite a lot with semi skimmed so is this going to affect my blood sugars ?? Completely confused

Hi alantat61,
the only way for you to be absolutely sure is to test blood sugar before and after.
most low carb sites advocate cream instead as there is less sugar in that.
hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 people

alantat61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you I just find the whole thing about foods carbs what to eat very confusing

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I

I am entertained when in coffee bars, I ask for an Americano or a black coffee and am asked if I want milk with it.
"It wouldn't be an Americano if it had milk".

I often have an Americano with hot milk when out. It's just espresso with hot water as opposed to filter coffee. Similar strength but different taste. I like adding my own milk. Sometimes I'll have a small cappuccino. After a meal I like it black - I've always liked my tea black anyway. Never had sugar in either. As long as I don't go wild, coffee doesn't spike me. At home we have a Krups filter coffee and a digestive biscuit mid morning and my BG is about 6ish an hour later when I test pre lunch. I prefer fresh coffee but will still drink instant if that's what I'm offered! As was already said on this thread - we have changed our eating and drinking habits enough for this condition. If we can tolerate the things we like it makes the rest easier. I hope this tolerance lasts - but after reading posts on here I realise that things may change. I shall make the most of what works for me now and keep my fingers crossed! LOL!

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I was bought a tassimo coffe machine as a present. I really enjoy the cafe noire petit dejeuner black with a sweetener.

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do very few people only just have normal random Nescafe gold instant etc coffee? with a dash of semi skimmed milk? and 2-3 sweetners?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do very few people only just have normal random Nescafe gold instant etc coffee? with a dash of semi skimmed milk? and 2-3 sweetners?

I do.. But no sweeteners... If your sweeteners have aspartame in you would be best to try n give sweeteners up...

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely, whatever's on special offer preferably, so it's Nescafe Alta Rica atm but I've just treated myself (and why not?) to some Azera as well. With double cream, no sweetener.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
black gold..:)

Like that too.. We buy wither black gold or gold wben it goes to less than £4 a jar.. Then we buy 20 jars at a time. Normly clearing the shelves inone swoop.