Type 1 and dealing with a cold

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have a cold and im type 1 diabetic and im coughing alot and i dont know why any help

C

catherinecherub

Coughs are usually part of having a cold. Go to a pharmacy and ask for something that is suitable for diabetics.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have a cold and im type 1 diabetic and im coughing alot and i dont know why any help

I go for Robitussin cough mixture. Comes in various types...........dry cough, chesty cough, etc.

Doesn't raise my BS and works very well. ;)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Try rubbing Vicks onto the soles of your feet before bed, it helps stop the coughing during the night (that's my favourite mum tip!!)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi. I started with a sore throat + cough at the weekend - was using stressful + lesions. Now on Antibiotics cos I have Upper Respiratory Infection. Gone off my food - eating lots of toast + fruit + lots of fluids. Feel drained of energy. Still taking Insulin, Metformin + other meds + checking my blood sugars.

HaroldC

I found I was coughing and wheezing for years. Colds really affected me badly. EVENTUALLY (after 5 years) I found the culprit. Ramipril. The 'prils, ACE inhibitors are dreadful things. I also found they're responsible for the repeated UTIs, and the leg swelling.
Now I'm on 'sartans for blood-pressure (losartan) my wheezy breathing & persistent cough is GONE.

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi HaroldC, Thank You for your comments. I am Type 2 (15 years now) on Insulin, Metformin and Dapagliflozin. Also take Ramipril and Doxazosin for Blood Pressure. Plus I am Asthmatic and use Preventer and Reliever Inhalers and take tablet at night. I also have an injection (Biologic drug) every 3 months, the side effect is that it lowers my Immune system. I am almost at the end of a 7 day Antibiotic Course and only feel a little better.

Reactions: 2 people