Confused about carbs

Dr H

Dislikes
- People without manners
- Being interrogated about non-low-carbing
I think your body is reacting the same my does. I think, the best advice is to keep with the diet you've got now which is obviously working (the high starch, low-sugar/fat) and only if you start to have problems you should change.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

BIGAL

Bigal I test every morning on waking usualy 6.9-7.2 at 6-00 oclock then at 10-00 oclock usualy 6-6.5
I was asking because my doctor says low carbs MY BOOK says i should be on high carbs for the kind of work i do . low carbs leave me feeling hungery. As i work in the countryside alot i have to take sandwiches + fruit my doctor says cut out as much bread as pos .has anyone any ideas what i can eat instead. Please no pasta !

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
BIGAL: some diabetics would be quite pleased with those numbers you're getting! If your current diet is working for you, why change it? Those who choose low carb only do so because a higher carb diet doesn't work for them. If you're testing regularly, getting good numbers - even WITH sarnies for lunch - and only changing things because you need to, then you can't go far wrong despite what your doctor might say...

bunty

One's choice of diet and personal b.g goal is specific to each indivdual but i have found this site particularly useful as it offers alternative suggestions for control.

On diagnosis i was told to ditch all white carbs in favour of whole brown carbs and to limit those and, more, to always eat some form of protein with whichever carbs i did eat.

Currently i follow a much reduced carb regime but in no way is it a low-carb diet when compared to the low-carb version very popular with many members here. My blood glucose levels are usually pretty good, though.

I think it's a matter of testing, adjusting, experimenting and tweaking until you hit upon something you think you can live with and enjoy whilst maintaining acceptable b.g. levels. And even then, some days those levels can go all over the shop for no apparent reason! Exercise and general health seem to play a role here but even so, there are days when the body literally seems to have a will all its own!

Testing is the way forward - and gaining an understanding of how you feel at various levels - at which point do you start to feel 'low', for instance? Are you aware of feeling 'high'? It's good to try to discover that, if possible.

And as with everything, research, practice and ultimately, make an informed decision on how you want to control this disease. It's your body and you have responsibility for it, LOL. The only right way to deal with it is the way you feel happiest with.

bunty

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Bigal I test every morning on waking usualy 6.9-7.2 at 6-00 oclock then at 10-00 oclock usualy 6-6.5

Hi Bigal,
I presume you ate breakfast, if so you really need to test 1 and 2 hours after to see the effects on your BG, this is far more important in regulating your BG levels than 4 hours after a meal. The 1 and 2 hour test will show up any spikes and will help you understand more about the effects of carbs on your Blood Glucose levels. You seem to have been lucky with your choice of Doctor I would discuss this further with him.
As for your BOOK it’s probably the same one most of us were issued with on diagnosis based on a high proportion of starchy carbs with every meal, there’s very few who have been able to follow that advice and achieve a satisfactory HbA1c. My advice would be to bin the book and listen to your Doctor.
With the physical nature of your job you may get away with a certain amount of bread, but the only way is to test to find your level, alternatives could be boiled eggs, cheese, nuts, deli meats and salads, these will not have a big impact on your BG.

The following is a good site that will help you understand more, Alan is also a member here and posts occasionally.

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

Regards
Graham

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Everything hinges on the word"nomal".
For an Australian Aborigine, eating traditionally, normal includeds grubs and maggots. For an Inuit, it includes fat meat, fish and blubber. for many British youngsters, normal means Take away chips from the F&C shop or home delivery pizza. For subsistence farmers wordlwide, it means whatever they can grow thmselves.
Normal is individual to your community.

mabis4

5 grams[ a tea spoon] of sugar raises how much the blood glucose level from 100 mg to ? [if you dont have any insulin to act].

I'll offer an alternative opinion. You can eat carbs but eating the right type of carbs is what is important. (slice of white bread vs chunk of multi-grain whole wheat) I follow the low glycemic index diet. It's a balanced diet of foods that release slowly so as not to spike your blood glucose.

You can find information on this diet at your local library, website or your dietitian. It is highly recommended for all types of diabetics.

Exercise is also important. If you can start adding small amount of some sort everyday especially cardio you will also notice a huge difference in your bg levels.

Good Luck!

PS: I have type 1 diabetes (LADA-latent auto-immune diabetes in adults) diagnosed type 2 in 2007, properly diagnosed June 09 (GAD antibodies) as type 1

I take 3-5 units of NovoRapid in AM
M-W-F - none at noon- weights at gym- hypo if I take my insulin-level runs 6.0 w/o insulin
T-TH-S-SU 2-3 units-noon
Evening -5-6 units
Lantus-12-14 units
My average levels are 5.8 to 7.0
My hypo level starts at 4.5-w/shaking

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Thistle
For me ANY carbs are a problem. If I want to continue on minimal medication, I can't afford to eat more than a very few carbs of any kind per day.