shocked at the price!

greenp3

the other day i decided to buy my own test strips as i no longer get them free and was gobsmacked that they cost £26.63 i was quite angry as well because i dont think i should have to buy something that i need for looking after my health,as i only get tested yearly at my doctors and have been unwell lately.

Spiral

Shocking isn't it? Did you ask to get the VAT removed - you are VAT exempt as a diabetic - for anything you use to manage you long term condition.

You might want to shop around for a meter that is cheaper to run. I think my meter (Accu-chek Aviva) is one of the most expensive to run :roll: However, all the manufactures keep it going for you once you have it - they provide replacement batteries and all the other gubbins, as well as replacing it if it breaks, for free.

I have supplemented my NHS strips with ones bought on eBay - shop around for a reliable seller by checking feedbak and making sure it has a long shelf life. Decide what proce you will pay, including postage and then don't go above it. My limit is half the price of the strips in the shops.

Why are you no longer getting strips on prescription?

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi,
you're best to buy them directly from the manufacturers than from a chemist- a lot cheaper that way.
I'm a type-1 but a couple of years ago when I was having trouble with my GP, I bought Freestyle strips, they cost about 15 quid per pack, but a lot cheaper than any chemist.
It's a damned outrage that anyone with diabetes should pay for test strips. There's a petition somewhere on this forum you can sign. If enough people speak up about this, maybe things will change.
Jus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Spiral
i looked up the prices of strips and they are all pretty similar.
I had thought of getting a different meter.
However, I investigated further and found the manufacturers are better value and ebay better still. I've got my last 6 packs there and no problems.
I've also looked into Glucoflex-R, which are visual strips. they are cheaper . Get them on the WWW.

Spiral

hana, when I spoke to Abbott Diabetes Care customer services the price given to me there was about £10 less for the over the counter prices for their meter.

I have found eBay very competetive. My last lot of strips came out at £9 a tub, but I did buy in bulk, which is why I have not changed meter.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Abbott quoted me £14.33 including p&p when I last asked them,( months ago :) which is almost as good as ebay.
I have had my trusty Freestyle mini for about 3 years. It is a free replacement for the one Ihad before. Abbott replaced it with a mmol/l ONLY reading one. The first one had a choice of mmol or mg/dl. It also had AAAA batteries which are hard to get. The present one has coin batteries which Abbott provide. All in all Abbott's servie is excellent.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
This is more than likely a non starter for many reasons, but what would be the consequenses of those of us that are able to get the strips on free prescriptions "donating" the odd pack through this site to those who cannot? I don't expect the doctors or manufacturers would like it but it's a thought. It'd be a bit like running a car pool! Sharing is caring or so they say.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Mrburden.... I get mine with no problems at all, military base.

If someone could clear it up, i'd interested :)

greenp3

hi spiral i no longer get the strips because im a type 2 and my doctor no longer provides them only for type 1 after reading everyones comments next time i need any i will get them from somewhere else thanks everyone.

m100

greenp3 said:
hi spiral i no longer get the strips because im a type 2 and my doctor no longer provides them only for type 1 after reading everyones comments next time i need any i will get them from somewhere else thanks everyone.

Then change your doctor or show them/the PCT the NICE guidelines on testing that clearly say you are entitled to them. It's completely irrelevant what type of diabetic you are and what treatment regime you are on.

iHs

Can someone post the link regarding NICE guidelines for Type 1's using teststrips please?

I might show this to my GP if she decides to reduce my prescription for strips down from 150 which isn't nearly enough to just 50.

m100

http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG66NICEGuideline.pdf

Page 12

1.4.2 Self-monitoring of plasma glucose should be available:
• to those on insulin treatment
• to those on oral glucose-lowering medications to provide information on hypoglycaemia
• to assess changes in glucose control resulting from medications and lifestyle changes
• to monitor changes during intercurrent illness
• to ensure safety during activities, including driving

yingal26

Dislikes
Patronising doctors mainly. Taxi drivers.
I got stuck once and had to buy advantage 2 test strips which cost me £25. I had to buy them but I was so appauled at the price! Hope you get a better deal green!

Yingal26

colecraft

I'm living in Turkey at the moment and using Abbott strips in a Boots meter. Out here they're about £15 for 50, which is about £9 cheaper than in the uk if I recall correctly ??
When diagnosed, my GP said he didnt think I needed a meter, and due to recently published info wouldnt prescribe strips at all, as evidence said there was no benefits being seen in the profession in doing so. Hmmmmm
Since joining this forum I see I'm not the only one am I ,!!!!!!

I tried to access the link to the NICE guideline, that's shown in this thread but it keeps saying the link is broken , any advice on this please, because I will definately be showing it to my GP when I return.
It seems alot of people still have them prescribed, that some have been restricted, some cut down or like me refused.
The more comments I read on the Forum the more obvious it is that some of us received the most rediculous GP/Healthcare advice , from those who are supposed to know more about it than we do !

Dinky

I was told by my GP that I didn't need to be monitoring my blood. After speaking to my Uncle and a few friends who are also Type 2 they were shocked and appalled that I was told this. And some of them have the same doctor as I do!

I'm feeling like I'm going to have to suck it up and just buy the strips but I just cannot work it into the budget at the moment. Sucks.