Lump on taking canula out

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
So as anyone who followed my last thread will know I've been having trouble with sets. I tried the silhouette (20-45 insertion) with a barrier spray underneath as I had all these red patches every time I put one in even though while it was in it was painless. The set had been painless and had delivered fine. When I took it out there was much less pink but one big pink lump and a slightly bent canula. It's still hurting intermittently now the canula is out. Any ideas?

I'm going to call the helpline too but wondered if anyone here had had this issue.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't use those sets, but occasionally I have a pink, slightly raised lump around the cannula entry point. It itches sometimes too. I haven't worked out why it happens, but some reasons I suspect are leaving it in a liitle too long, or that it's in an awkward position where it's got pressed by me sitting down or while I'm asleep.

If it's happening a lot, you may need to investigate further. With me, it's only occasional so I don't mind. I a.so get occasional reactions to the adhesive (redness and itching) but again, these are infrequent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am allergic to the adhesive and have found the barrier spray useless. I do use tea tree oil which I like to think helps the sites heal better, but I have perfect images of the inset sites on my skin for as much as a fortnight after removal. Like you it is usually painless when in, although occasionally it can be very painful and I have to change the site. That is usually when I get a very red lump in the shape of the inset that will often itch and sometimes open and scar my skin. After 7 years I have several scars and numerous marks at any one time in various stages of healing, I haven't tried any other insets (I use the inset 2) I expected this reaction because of my allergy and still find the positives far outweigh the negatives. I hope you get some relief.

iHs

SkinSafe or Silesse (there are others) might work. The companies that produce these products might send out free samples so no harm in trying them

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for all the responses. The guy on the helpline said I had to ask the DSN and suggested using an IV skin to put underneath the set. He's sending me some samples so we'll see how that goes. The new set I've got in isn't feeling quite right so I'll change it when I get home. Maybe the longer tube for the silhouette will mean the sure-t in my leg won't feel too stretched.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I get a small red lump after removing the cannula but it usually disappears after a day, when you think about it we've got a foreign object penetrating the skin that sits there for 3 days and it no wonder it leaves a mark behind.

Reactions: 4 people

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It's disappearing now and is just a bit pink with no lump. @noblehead do you get that every time?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes most of the time @tigger, it's only around the site where the cannula goes in but it does disappear after a while, I've taken to using a Sterets wipe to clean the site after I remove the Pod.

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
So as anyone who followed my last thread will know I've been having trouble with sets. I tried the silhouette (20-45 insertion) with a barrier spray underneath as I had all these red patches every time I put one in even though while it was in it was painless. The set had been painless and had delivered fine. When I took it out there was much less pink but one big pink lump and a slightly bent canula. It's still hurting intermittently now the canula is out. Any ideas?

I'm going to call the helpline too but wondered if anyone here had had this issue.

Hi Tigger, I used to get lumps under my sites when I was using plastic/Teflon cannulas. The sites became red and painful after only a days wear. Switching to stainless steel fixed all my problems and they are much less painful, actually as close to painless as you can get and no lasting marking upon removal.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks for all the responses. The guy on the helpline said I had to ask the DSN and suggested using an IV skin to put underneath the set. He's sending me some samples so we'll see how that goes. The new set I've got in isn't feeling quite right so I'll change it when I get home. Maybe the longer tube for the silhouette will mean the sure-t in my leg won't feel too stretched.....
To stop the stretched feeling besides longer tubing a simple solution is to put a bit of tape a couple of cm from the cannula on the tubing. No pull on the cannula so no irritation or sores :)