best sweetner

shellyj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
drugs,achool,smoking,
Hi I just wondering if any of you have any ideas on a good sweetner as I use spendia and sugar twin for my tea but I would like to try soming new thanks :p

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
ATSBod
There's probably more rubbish on the WWW about Splenda than any other subject.

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
I second that, Hana, 100%. I had a look at that site and if you read to the bottom you will see that it is promoting a weight loss programme. 'Nuff said. There also a lot of junk science in the article - chlorine is a carcinogen we are told. That, of course, is why it is used as a purifier in swimming pools and in drinking water. Therefore, the amount of chlorine in a spoonful of Splenda is a fraction of what you would get if you went for a dip in your local swimming pool.

Serial45

Lord god, I use splenda day in day out, i've just followed that link and I can't believe what i've just read.
I have rashes on my hands and arms, have heart palpatations occasionally (although I put that down to excercise). Shocking read, got me thinking now :(.

I prefer the more "normal" tasting sweetners e.g. splenda, silver spoon. Does anybody know if silver-spoon falls under this category as well?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Anybody ever try just doing without ? :?

I used to have 3 sugars in tea and coffee etc but gradually cut down to the point where I just gave it up altogether. It's not that difficult. Just needs some will power and determination. :D

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Silver Spoon is a brand name used by the British Sugar Corporation. Do you mean their half sugar mix?
As to the chlorine in Splenda. This is chemically bound in the molecule and not separated from it by digestion. Chlorine gas is dangerous, but you won't get it from Splenda. you know there's no "free" chlorine. [Free Chlorine is a greenish gas] because it doesn't smell of swimming pools.( which chlorine gas does)
The chlorine in salt( Sodium chloride) is less firmly bound than that in Splenda. It isn't the more dangerous component of salt, Sodium is.
these kinds of web sites prey on people who are not confident in chemistry knowledge
Splenda moleculeas are made up of Carbon, Hydrogen, oxygen and Chlorine molecules. In the chemically combined molecule, none has the characteristics of the same atoms in an element.
Elemental Carbon is either, Graphite,or diamond. Elemental chlorine is a greenish gas, elemental hydrogen is a light explosive gas. Elemental oxygen is also a gas. One which supports combustion.
You might as well say that Spenda contains diamonds

Spiral

indeed...

I have found that my tastebuds have changed over recent weeks. I rarely use sweetener and find that some things that i sed to eat are simply too sweet now.

However, perspective is everything. Sugar is not good for you, "Pure white and deadly" and it is hardly an essential food group. Even that wonderful raw molases or muscovado sugars I used in baking.

Based on that piece of information I am willing to experiement with sweeteners because I don't use that much and sweeteners/sugars of any kind are not actually good for you. If it is sweet it qualifies as luxurious junk in my eyes, but everyone needs a treat every now and then :roll:

I have not made a proper cake in ages, but will at some point and will use sugar when i do. I'f I'm making an occasional thing intended just for me I will use a sweetener. I have Splenda and Xylitol in the cupboard at the moment!

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Hi all,

Bernstein recommends Da Vinci Syrup - anyone every used this and what for?

Rita

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Hello again,

On a post referring to Cheesecake, Fergus metioned a sweetner called ZSweet - I went on to their website and have ordered some to try. About 20 minutes later I received a 'phone call from the guy who runs the company in Dublin (Cormac Walsh) who was a lovely man and sent me some recipes.

Should you want to investigate this sweetner the website is:

http://www.zsweet.eu/

The peanut cookies look gorgeous!

Rita

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Interesting! Let us know what it's like.
I only use sweeteners (currently Splenda) in cooking - anyone who can eat stewed rhubarb without it isn't normal :? - so if it can be substituted directly in recipes, that is useful.

Chrisp

Hi,
As a very newly diagnosed type 2 this is not the voice of experience.
However I have been using Hermasetas granulated and was very pleasantly surprised by the taste.
My memories of olden days associate Hermasetas with tiny little pills that you put in your tea instead of sugar which make the tea taste awful but this sprinkled on my weetabix is fine.
I don't have sugar in tea or coffee so cannot comment on how it tastes in drinks.
I plan to try it in cooking in the coming weeks so I'll keep you posted.
Hope this is of some help.
Chris

( P.S I have no connection with Hermasetas and hope that none of the more experienced members pop up and tell me just how bad it is for me! :+) )

Sweet3x

Canaderel here. Always have used it. Dad used to use saccharin, I remember the pot in the cupboard when I was a kid, and loved the taste on my tongue when I tried one of the tablets.

Ceedy

Dislikes
On TV .soaps, most manufactored poip groups, all reality shows, most usa RUBBISH.

Drivers on mobiles, most politicians
I'm using a few different sweeteners , but gradually getting rid of my sweet tooth.

Currently using one sweetener called Slimmer Sweet, from a compay called Healthcare products ltd. in Berkshire, but can't find any info about them or the sweetener.. as it has no info on the label, just a note about allergy.. "contains Lactose".

Anyone else heard of this stuff .

take care
All

Chris..

scottishkate

I don't use sweetener often but on the odd occasion I make a cake or a desert for a dinner party I use Stevia which I find works very well and has a good taste when cooking with it. My sister sends it over from Canada for me :)

I also use the Da Vinci SF Vanilla syrup (which I believe is sweetened with splenda) to sweeten cream and mascapone for cake fillings!

Mmmmmm, I want some cake now :lol:

Katie.