DESPERATE NEED OF ADVICE WITH MY GIRLFRIEND!

harvey19

hi, my name is jason and i have a gf with type 1 diabetes her blood is always high and has been for most of the time we have been together (nearly 4 month). for the past 4-5 days she has had really bad pains in her lower abdomen and in her back as well. i would like to know if anyone could shed some light on to what this mite be? as im very worried for her and the pain she is in scares me!

many thanks jay!

harvey19

she is 18 and her sugars are always between 20-30s sometimes her bm will just say high and a few month i spent the night in hospital with her because they were too high.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As all the previous posters have said. Hospital ASAP.

Ken.

harvey19

well u aint met my girlfriend she stubborn like that, she wont even do abit of exercise too try and help her blood sugar she knows she is a diabetic but hasnt really excepted it

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You're obviously a caring person, your girlfriendis lucky to have you. She needs medical help ASAP. Perhaps a chat with a counsellor too. She's storing up trouble with numbers like those. Her eyes, kidneys, feet and nerves are at great risk. Do you know her parents? can they help?

harvey19

last check on here bm was 16.9, a few month back she got changed to 4 injections a day 3 novorapid n 1 levemir she has 54 levemir at 5pm and 14 of novorapid with breakfast lunch n dinner shud this be changed with different size meals? she was doing alot better on 2 a day of novomix 70 flex pen

lionrampant

The very nature of novorapid means you have to change the amount you take depending on the size of meal you have! I'm going to bet she's not counting how many carbohydrates she eats at each meal either?

My best advice is to tell her you're worried, and try talking to other around her. What do her parents think of all this? Are they involved in her life much?

Running at those levels will put her in hospital eventually, but she may not have to be admitted if she takes control right now - so make sure she doesn't think you're trying to get her to go stay in the hospital. But she has to do it now. Like... this very minute.

Even if she takes a compensating dose of insulin this very instant, it could improve her health wonders. Point her to this place if you can.

harvey19

no she doesnt count carbs we were living in wales and she was getting referred to the diabetic team in the hospital but we now moved and waiting for her to be referred here so she doesnt really know about carb counting, where she is injecting she is getting very lumping but she does inject in different areas all the time, she cant inject in her belly nomore as she has done this to much so giving that area a break, but she complains that she has pains in her arms and the legs get very lumpy could anyone give advice on this as well it would be very much appreciated! as my gf doesnt really want to exercise apart from insulin what else will help with getting bg low and controlling it?

lionrampant

Okay the pains in the arms and legs are most likely because she's not keeping her blood glucose levels down. The pain is probably the nerves screaming for attention due to the damage they're suffering. This is a very, very, very bad thing. Chances are if it goes on much longer she could do permanent damage.

The lumpy injection sites are sometimes caused by people not injecting properly. She should use one hand to "pinch up" (a whole hand's worth) the area she's injecting in to and use her other hand to inject.

There is nothing else other than insulin (correct doses, changing for differing amounts of food, using blood monitoring to determine patterns), exercise (simple stuff like walking would suffice), and diet (count carbs, limit how much you eat etc). There is no special option.

I will post links (or others might) to carb counting info later. I will also find info on injecting and blood monitoring after dinner. Just make sure she's taking more insulin, doing blood checks, etc.

lionrampant

Officially no one on here can give advice about injections (we're not medical experts, blah blah) - however whenever I'm that high I do an injection of Novorapid. For a multitude of reasons again I shouldn't really start talking numbers but if I was that high I'd do about ten or fifteen units and see what happened after two hours (but I would also do blood check every half hour to make sure I didn't go hypo).

howie

i think everyone's already covered what to do.

some blood glucose monitors can test for ketones so have a check if hers does. don't think anyone's mentioned that ideal levels a are between 4-7 incase your not sure, but she might want to aim for 10 for a while. i have heard of people causing damage when dropping too low too fast. but i'm not a doc so check that out. i started to get some abdomen pain before diagnoses, think cos your body's not getting the energy it needs to function properly + ya bloods probably quite toxic. when your use to being that high it can feel quite normal, i know i did. i was just drinking and napping more.

you could give NHS direct a call (08454647), they are usually quite good especially if your diabetic they take ya seriously.

let us know,
all best,
howie

lionrampant

howie said:
. i have heard of people causing damage when dropping too low too fast. but i'm not a doc so check that out.

That's true mate. I needed an eye lasered because my average blood glucose dropped too fast - weakened the blood vessels, etc. That being said, she's doing damage either way - more if she stays high. :|

Spiral

NHS Direct can be wonderful in these situations.

People seem to take it more seriously because they are talking to someone medically trained and concerned rather than somenoe who is concerned because they now those numbers are waaaaaaaaaaay too high. Medics carry more authority than the rest of us with stuff like this.