Exercise With Prolapsed discs for Diabetes???

spiritguide

Hi All

As mentioned in my previous posts, i have just been diagnosed as Diabetic, Im guessing at Type 2 hopefully, as Ive not yet had my 1st appointment which is on the 10th of this month!

I know i will have to lose weight, i am ready for this now, but its not going to be easy, as i have 2 prolapsed discs L1 & L2 i believe! So other than walking, I thought id ask what other sensible exercising i could do?? Would it be worth my while purchasing a Motorised Treadmill??

And there's no way on this earth i am going swimming until ive lost at least 2 stone lol (im 18stone and 5ft 6inches tall), Ive never been this heavy in my life before and i hate it, and also just starting to go through the big "M" so any helpfull advice is welcome! Thanks in advance!

Karen.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Karen
Exercise alone won't get weight off. You have to change your eating at the same time too.
With a diagnosis of diabetes, Reducing your carbs should work well and quite quickly. Have you been given any medication?
If not,at your BMI and with disc trouble too. You could try asking for Byetta or Victoza. these are meant to help a lot with weight as well as Bg control. Some PCTs don't allow them, though, because they cost quite a bit.
For exercise
I'm afraid I'm one of the aqua folk, which I can heartily recommend.However Ican see that you might not wish to be in your swimsuit yet. Keep it in mind for your slimmer self. (I am NOT Slim)
For resistance exrcise, I can also recommend resistance bands. Cheap, effective and don't hurt when you drop them onto your toes.

spiritguide

Thank you for your response! Yes the swimming will have to wait, until ive lost at least 2 stone hehe! But thank you for your advice!

Andy A

I have a couple of prolapsed discs and cant swim so that saves me wedging meself in a bikini :lol:

I've lost 3 stone through reducing carbs in my diet and just making sure I walk the dogs for half hour a day (one of the dogs has bad knees so cant go further) and I tend to go on my trusty exercise bike 3 times a day just for 5 minutes at a time, I'm hoping that when I get my dizziness issues sorted I can get out on my pushbike as we've got mile sof country lanes near me in Norfolk :D

ChocFish

Hi Karen

I lost weight through my low carb diet, I weighed 23st and did not exercise apart from walking, I built up on that though, gradually doing more, if you wanted to do something else though then you could always sneak into a gym, they are very discreet in there and are used to people that weigh more than they should, and they could give you advice on which exercises would be safe for you to do and you could possibly join a group of other people/women with very similar problems to yours.
You would get encouragement and guidance there.
If you are too shy to do this, then see if your doctor can refer you to physio and you will be given some exercises to do, you have to be careful with a back problem so that you dont make it worse, your spine must always be supported, a motorised treadmill is expensive and then you might not even use it very much, if I were you I would consider other options before spending so much money.

Also did you know that fidgeting around, making a 'fist' with your toes and relaxing, flexing your ankles and relaxing them, arm movements, etc maybe with some weights or something like cans of beans or small bottles filled with water, all done while you are sitting down comfortably with your back supported at all times can also be really beneficial and keep circulation going and use up some calories? Get a ball and while you are sitting down squeeze it between your knees and let go, and so on, loads of exercises that you can do either sitting down or even lying down.

All the best

Karen

Pozzie

Hello

Can i join in? I am also a big lady. I am having real problems with exercise too.
I have been recovering from pnuemonia (spent 3 weeks in hospital last year)
I have a problem with my hip which makes walking difficult, and now, to top it off I tried going for a walk on Saturday and ripped my right calf muscle!! I think i need to go to the vets and be put down LOL :lol:

I am glad i am not the only larger lady on here. I was beginning to think that this place was full of skinny athletic type 1s! I read a thread yesterday where a couple of people were quite rude about us larger people. A bit offputting i must say :roll:

I have gotten over the embarrassment factor regarding swimming. I just try to pretend i am invisible and go for it. Luckily for me, I am new back in UK after living in Australia for a few years so i dont actually know anyone where i am living. This means the chances of seeing someone i know is practically zero. I cant go as often as i'd like, but i try to make it at least once a week. I figure that my fitness is far more important than what someone i dont know thinks of my body.

Dont disregard the treadmill idea. When in Aus I bought one. I found it a great help when i first tried losing weight. It felt good because i could hop on and off as and when i felt like it and no one would see me. Out there it was also too hot to go outside walking. I managed to lose 3st in 3mths then joined a slimming club and went beach walking. I lost another 2st. Sadly, due to the pnuemonia, injured hip and moving back to England, i have put back all the weight i lost which has made me very sad.
I am determined to get back the fitness i had gained, but its just so **** hard when you have pain trying to move.

Best of luck to all of us i say!!

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
I didn't know there were overweight people in Australia (I toured with Ireland U18s last year, and I didn't see anyone who I would've called obese, there were a few overweight... But not many).

Anyway, I think for a newly diagnosed person it's best listening to your doctor's advice and not doing anything too rash. Low-carb dieting works great for me, but so did just reducing portion size (I got lazy at uni and decided to go down the much cheaper low-carb route). However, start off with simple exercise (30 minutes walking everyday) and cut out snacking. That'll give you improvements in both weight and blood sugar levels, it's what most people do and it'll give you a start into expanding your exercise regime and improving your diet.

Pozzie

Hi Niall

You must have had your eyes shut :lol: Australia has one of the worlds highest obesity rates! Hard to believe i know, but true. They have the same problems we do.

Handyníall

Dislikes
Really? Admitted we spent most of our time on the Bondi Beach...

Some real stunners there :wink:

Pozzie

Aha!! :D

That'll be why. You dont seriously think us poor overweight women would be down at Bondi beach competing with THOSE women do you? :lol:

I lived 5mins drive from there. Preferred Coogee myself.

Sorry to hijack the thread Spiritgirl

Handyníall

Dislikes
I'm sorry to...

Although we did compete with the beach bums... They might have their surfboards, but at that point I had abs you could bounce a tennis ball off... *reminisce*... It was only 7 months ago as well...

Anyway, a treadmill is an excellent investment. Since it'll let you exercise even when it's wet... Although I find stationary machines kind of boring cause there's not a lot to do... You can't see the scenery or anything...