Which meter do i trust?!

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, i have 3 meters, the bayer contour, bayer contour XT, and the Lifescan onetouch verioIQ.
I've noticed the VerioIQ reads higher than the Bayer contour, and the Contour XT is in the middle!
For example, just to check this morning, first thing i tested with all 3 (i don't normally waste strips like this btw!)

Contour - 4.9
Contour XT - 6.1
Lifescan VerioIQ - 7.4

Now thats a big difference?! Thats a difference between a normal reading and a diabetic reading.
Which one do you think is accurate? Should i go for the one in the middle?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You'll never get the same bg reading twice, just stick with the one meter and if you doubt the accuracy check it using the control solution that came with the meter.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I trust my Freestyle Lite 1st, Glucomen LX Plus 2nd and as a backup Aviva Accu Chek and SD Codefree last call.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I have the Accu-Check Aviva which is the one I started with. As the strips were expensive I bought a Codefree a few days ago and have been using that and was wondering why my levels have suddenly shot up by a whole 2 points every day- :roll:

I was down to the 6s but now with the Codefree I'm up in the 8s every day. It really is a big difference isn't it? And I haven't been eating any more carbs than I was before. I must admit I'm put off by the Codefree higher readings, my heart does a little 'huumph' when I see anything 8 or above. So it makes me wonder whether the cheaper strips are actually of any benefit. But then again it could be the expensive strips that aren't doing the job. How can we tell the accuracy of a strip?

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone, its soo confusing! The contour seems to come up lower on a google search, but i also have the XT contour which seems slightly higher, similar to the Onetouch VerioIQ. I tested on all three within a minute or so, just seems a big difference between 4.9 and 7.4 :crazy:

Grazer

Comparing meters is the quick way to madness! You need to stick with one, accept the readings aren't correct but are consistently incorrect, and use the meter to spot DIFFERENCES that tell you when you've eaten something you shouldn't, or eaten too much of it.

Reactions: 3 people

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Grazer said:
Comparing meters is the quick way to madness! You need to stick with one, accept the readings aren't correct but are consistently incorrect, and use the meter to spot DIFFERENCES that tell you when you've eaten something you shouldn't, or eaten too much of it.

Yep. I'm sticking with the Codefree cos the strips are cheaper. It's the differences between readings on the SAME meter that show us what's made us spike.

Reactions: 5 people

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Fab article, thanks! :) i think i will stick to one then, that makes sense, even though they are abit inaccurate at least they aren't like they used to be in the 80's (found out they were like a colour coded brick from the book "think like a pancreas" now i'm glad i don't have to carry one of those things round with me! :)

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Revieved my new freestyle insulinX today, must say i like it! So it seems bayer contour are lowest, bayer XT slightly higher, freestyle insulinX slightly higher, and Onetouch verioIQ highest! Think i will ask my doc to change strips to the freestyle.. :)

ssooty53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't know if my choice is strange or not, but I have tried loads of different meters and lancing machines. The best choice that I can find is to use the ACCU-CHEK Multiclix for stabbing myself and a BAYER test meter - the BREEZE 2 METER for the results.
This allows me to use a lancer and a tester - both with MULTI USE.
Lancer has six needles on each insert
Meter has ten biosensor strips on each insert
I like it because there is less handling involved - less chance for contamination.

Must admit I don't pay for mine - in UK both the machines, needles and strips are free if you have Type 2 Diabetes.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Must admit I don't pay for mine - in UK both the machines, needles and strips are free if you have Type 2 Diabetes.

Ssooty53, You may wish to revise this statement as machines, needles and strips are most certainly not free to an awful lot of Type 2 Diabetics in the UK. Please follow the link in my signature if you are in any doubt.

Reactions: 4 people

Norton

In my opinion i prefer FREESTYLE LITE strips!
In both Lite and insulinX, they are the most accureted of all. I´ve tried to compare them in more than 20 tests, in the same moment and in the same finger samples. It uses only 0,3uL of blood sample so...it`s very easy to make some fast tests in the same blood sample!
I´ve noticed that in recent Internacional Diabetes Reviews freestyle Lite strips appears to be the best in comparison with Accu-chek aviva, bayer countour XT and One touch verio. The technology in the strip is the most important thing in order to compare meters.

And the INSULINX is the REAL DEVICE! Fantastic!

Grazer

ssooty53 said:

Sorry, but not correct at all! Only free if you are on insulin, or certain other meds that can cause hypos, which you are. Most people on diet only, or metformin, have to pay for their own. Even many on gliclazide don't get strips, it's down to the GP.
That's why we had our e-petition for "free strips for type 2s", http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/
You're one of the lucky ones!

Nada

Like Grace I had same experience in reverse with the SD Code Free - just posted this on a similar thread (sorry don't know how to link to it so have cut and pasted) :

I bought a code free monitor while the docs sorted out what they were going to do - took them a couple of months to give me a free Ultra One monitor and free strips on prescription. I thought there wouldn't be much difference but found the SD code free kept giving higher readings than the Ultra one. I queried the Ultra assuming it was wrong with the manufacturer. Have compared readings for four weeks and the same difference at all times. I have tested the Ultra one and all passed muster so now going to check what might be awry with the code free one. Will update when I have tested it.

And one query - why do I get the strips on prescription but no mention of the lances? Aren't we supposed to use a new lance every strip or is that wrong?

glenmoray

I too had that trouble with the verio iq.Mine was reading 1.7mmols higher than my other meters. I mentioned this to my dafne nurses who told me just to use either the Glucomen LX plus or the Abbot Freestyle insuLinx. Both of these are more accurate than any of the other monitors and they also test for Ketones.I complained to the verio IQ suppliers who sent me a test solution. When I did the test it was within its parameters. I think this is bad as I was having a hypo when the verio IQ said my sugar levels were 5.1mmol.if I had just used the verio IQ I would have thought I was safe to drive !

anthonyghiara

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had the same experience with the Verio IQ. The manufacturers said that it was within their limits. An over reading monitor can be very dangerous. I have stopped using it. Anthony Ghiara

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
In several test against high and medium control solutions I found all the meters I own were in the "acceptable" tolerance band but only my SD Codefree returned results that were dead centre of range for both solutions.
I have two Freestyle Freedom Lites both gave repeated high readings particularly against the high range solution.
My Bayer Contour Next gave readings that agreed with Code free against medium control solution but gave slightly high readings against the high level solution.
My TrueResult Twist generally gave low results more so against the higher range solution.

When testing against real blood samples the pattern was similar but with greater variation.
Also note the control solutions used were manufactured by SD I intend to repeat the tests against solution from a different manufacturer. .

Marchticus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Arrogant people who don't think diabetes is a serious condition, and that think type 1 and type 2 diabetes are similar. They are in-fact VERY different.
I use the accu-Check mobile. It's brilliant. No strips just a cartridge contains 50 test and the finger prickes AttAtched to the side which contains 6 pins. Look it up I think you'll like it

Reactions: 2 people

Marchticus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Arrogant people who don't think diabetes is a serious condition, and that think type 1 and type 2 diabetes are similar. They are in-fact VERY different.
Look up the Accu-check mobile i've used it for years!