Extra Carbs & More Insulin for Bodybuilding - need advice!

John506

Hey,

I have type 1, and want to start lifting weights, I went to my local supplements shop for some protein powder which helps in muscle repair and growth.

The man recommended me to get a high carb protein powder as my goal is to bulk up.

Lets just say there would be 40g carbs in every shake I have, would it be safe if I just take 4 units of insulin everytime I drink a shake? As that would cover the carbs, and as long as I kept my blood sugars within 4-7?

Thanks

John.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Muscles are made of protein, so why eat more carbs?

John506

Carbohydrates provide the energy for weight training sessions as well as play an important role in recuperation as well as muscle growth.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
John506 said:
Hey,

I have type 1, and want to start lifting weights, I went to my local supplements shop for some protein powder which helps in muscle repair and growth.

The man recommended me to get a high carb protein powder as my goal is to bulk up.

Lets just say there would be 40g carbs in every shake I have, would it be safe if I just take 4 units of insulin everytime I drink a shake? As that would cover the carbs, and as long as I kept my blood sugars within 4-7?

Thanks
John.

Hi John.

Not an exercise expert. Here is a link to a site with particular emphasis on nutrition when exercising.
http://www.runsweet.com/CarbsAndExercise.html

There is another tab labelled Diabetes and Sport with sub-sections of which one is labelled Bodybuilding. This may be of some use to you as the subject is also a T1 ?

Ken.

John506

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the link it was a bit of interesting reading :)

I've come to a conclusion instead of having shakes with alot of carbs in everyday about 3 times a day, which you are supposed to, I will just have one pre-workout.

Cheers.

Iambackwards

I'm not an expert, but I body build and have T1 diabetes. I think if you're trying to bulk up, increasing your insulin is fine, as you will need to have a higher calorie diet, especially carbs and protein, so you're going to need more insulin.

Taking those protein shakes after weight training is by far the best time. After weight training your muscles are in desperate needs of nutrients and these shakes are perfect for helping your muscles repair.

Weight lifting makes your muscles more sensitive to insulin, but adding in some intense cardio will also help a lot. I find it's really important for me to be as insulin sensitive as possible, as a bulking diet will be higher in carbs, meaning higher doses of insulin. Too much insulin can cause fat gain, but if you are sensitive and taking a reasonable amount of insulin you will get a lot of lean gains quickly, as insulin is one if not the most important hormone for muscle growth.

bmtest

Check out Diabetic Tim Belknaps tips and related articles, I remember in the 1980's when I was knocking back the protein shakes that he was a T1.

Not sure it is good for the heart at competition level though I gave it up when I could no longer fit through doors and Burtons did not do shirts with a 22inch collar.

http://www.muscle-build.com/tim-belknap.html

Good luck with the training