I fell off the wagon.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a practical level, one of the greatest motivations i have found is my blood glucose meter.

I have found that if i allow myself a 'treat' without testing, i go completely off the rails and binge.

But if i allow myself a 'treat' with the commitment that i WILL test, 30 mins, 1hr, 1.30, 2, until i return to normal...
It is a brilliant reminder of the harm i am doing to myself.
Seems to work in two ways - i take smaller portions, and i'm less likely to do it again.

We went out for 'afternoon tea' about 18 months ago. Special celebration with my partner.
I had 1 round of sandwiches and 1 scone with cream and a smear of jam. Left the crisps (chips), the 3 cakes and the rest of the jam (he ate them all for me. :D)
My bg went up by 10.4 mmol/l (thats about 180 US bg units) and it took 5 hours to return to starting point.
I've never even been tempted to do it again!

Reactions: 17 people

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a practical level, one of the greatest motivations i have found is my blood glucose meter.

I have found that if i allow myself a 'treat' without testing, i go completely off the rails and binge.

But if i allow myself a 'treat' with the commitment that i WILL test, 30 mins, 1hr, 1.30, 2, until i return to normal...
Seems to work in two ways - i take smaller portions, and i'm less likely to do it again.

We went out for 'afternoon tea' about 18 months ago. Special celebration with my partner.
I had 1 round of sandwiches and 1 scone with jam and cream. Left the crisps (chips), the 3 cakes and the jam (he ate them all for me. :D)
My bg went up by 10.4 mmol/l (thats about 180 US bg units) and it took 5 hours to return to starting point.
That makes incredible sense. I understand that sooner rather than later is the demand for facing up to my fears about eating for my meter as these bouts of self imposed diabetes denial are not safe for the long haul in this journey.

Reactions: 10 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Pasha, your wisdom amazes me. Thank you for a very meaningful reply. I have a psychotherapist's couch of despair, which does help for now but I do obsess over the past, which I know leaves me with more obstacles to move away from it. I have one quick question regarding your advice. May I eat in front of the Internet? And does Netflix count as television? I think I know what the answers are already.

You got it right all in one.

Reactions: 4 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food management for diabetes is a very tough battle. There should be a program with sponsorship for diabetics in junk food recovery.

Such a program exists and you've found it! I know that I can come here for help, advice, support and most importantly a laugh whenever I need it. My 'sponsors' haven't officially signed up for the role but they provide ongoing wisdom and common sense - and in return I try to be supportive of others :D

Reactions: 10 people

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Such a program exists and you've found it! I know that I can come here for help, advice, support and most importantly a laugh whenever I need it. My 'sponsors' haven't officially signed up for the role but they provide ongoing wisdom and common sense - and in return I try to be supportive of others :D
That is really good news and I really do find tremendous strength in the idea of it all. I hope that my fellow sponsors of this forum don't cringe too hard by my particular foibles along the path towards control of this crazy insulin challenge.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That makes incredible sense. I understand that sooner rather than later is the demand for facing up to my fears about eating for my meter as these bouts of self imposed diabetes denial are not safe for the long haul in this journey.
@Type2Guy: Does your meter allow you set targets -i.e. acceptable high and low readings? I initially used this feature on mine as a mini "Beat Your Meter" challenge when I first got it, so that I could aim to keep my test results within these margins. I was fairly lenient and flexible so that I was in control and my challenges were attainable, and if I could consistently reach them, then I set myself a new slightly lower level, and if I was struggling then I'd raise the target level a little until I could manage to keep within or below it. It was a good incentive, and helped me a lot to get things under control. It may be worth a try - and give yourself a small treat or reward of some sort if you can keep within your limits.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow so much sound advice and so beautifully put. Being a woman of simple words I just say this....Diabetes is a word that defines my future. How it defines it is up to me. It can make it hell or I can make it better. NO is my watch word....no matter how hard that is to say, I still say NO. No to all the things that's will now have to be confined to my past way of eating. YES is the word for the new challenges ahead. Until someone comes up with a cure I simply have no choice. I don't want my limbs to tingle or go dead or painful...I don't want my eye sight affected or to live in fear of losing a limb. Quite simply, I want to live as normal a life as possible and a long and healthy one. So....I have to give up the bad foods and find new ways to satisfy my cravings which is in itself a challenge but I see it as just that.....a gauntlet thrown down and I have a choice....pick it up or walk away. The defiant side of me says ''to hell with it...I don't want to pick it up''.....but the feisty, common sense side of me says ''you have no choice girl so suck it up and get on with it''. Time and common sense kicks in and you realize that you really don't have a choice if you want a healthy, long and comfortable life. Pick up that gauntlet Type2Guy and run with it.....YOU can control IT not the other way round :)

Reactions: 6 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

Type2Guy!! I too had a falling off wagon day. Started with a humble slice of toast leftover from son's afternoon snack, to going under cover during my son's swimming lesson, to the vending machine to buy a....I can hardly admit it....snickers. yeah I wrote it. It was very sweet, I don't remember it being that sweet, but goooooood it went in around 3 bites, oh man the guilt. Made sure I hid the wrapper and everything. Never felt like this over food before; over a relationship a time or two but not food.

I even shied away from testing today because I couldn't face the meter readings, very cowardly behaviour. I am not THAT person, or rather I refuse to be THAT person. So I pledge here and now that like Brunneria I may fall off the low carb train BUT I will face my meter every 30 -40 mins until those numbers fall to decent territory.

It's a bit old testament and probably painful with all that blood letting, but hopefully it will halt the gravitational pull of the carb spiral....

Just done my bed time reading of 5.8mmol.

Reactions: 11 people

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Type2Guy: Does your meter allow you set targets -i.e. acceptable high and low readings? I initially used this feature on mine as a mini "Beat Your Meter" challenge when I first got it, so that I could aim to keep my test results within these margins. I was fairly lenient and flexible so that I was in control and my challenges were attainable, and if I could consistently reach them, then I set myself a new slightly lower level, and if I was struggling then I'd raise the target level a little until I could manage to keep within or below it. It was a good incentive, and helped me a lot to get things under control. It may be worth a try - and give yourself a small treat or reward of some sort if you can keep within your limits.

Robbity
I think that is a very good strategy. Unfortunately, my meter doesn't allow me to play within that challenge system, but I can create an appropriate infrastructure with the ideal targets. Control is so vital at this stage as I hope to avoid having to take metformin and/or insulin.

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type2Guy!! I too had a falling off wagon day. Started with a humble slice of toast leftover from son's afternoon snack, to going under cover during my son's swimming lesson, to the vending machine to buy a....I can hardly admit it....snickers. yeah I wrote it. It was very sweet, I don't remember it being that sweet, but goooooood it went in around 3 bites, oh man the guilt. Made sure I hid the wrapper and everything. Never felt like this over food before; over a relationship a time or two but not food.

I even shied away from testing today because I couldn't face the meter readings, very cowardly behaviour. I am not THAT person, or rather I refuse to be THAT person. So I pledge here and now that like Brunneria I may fall off the low carb train BUT I will face my meter every 30 -40 mins until those numbers fall to decent territory.

It's a bit old testament and probably painful with all that blood letting, but hopefully it will halt the gravitational pull of the carb spiral....

Just done my bed time reading of 5.8mmol.
I take great inspiration from your honesty and resolve. Thank you for opening up about this. It really helps me.

Reactions: 6 people

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality shows and people who wear sunglasses on top of their heads especially indoors.

I had 1 round of sandwiches and 1 scone with cream and a smear of jam. Left the crisps (chips), the 3 cakes and the rest of the jam (he ate them all for me. :D)
We looked at self testing but found it was going to be too expensive unfortunately

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Ayrshire Dave Have you looked at the codefree meter from home-health.uk.com? The strips and meter are very reasonable?

@Type2Guy I wouldn't worry about the occasional step down from the tracks as long as you get straight back up and carry on. I plan to have one of those blow out days today and I will not regret it, but I will pay the piper for the next few days

Reactions: 11 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We looked at self testing but found it was going to be too expensive unfortunately

I use the SD Codefree.
Got it from Amazon. £7 for the meter. £6.50ish for 50 strips.
I think it is worth its weight in gold!

Edited: Sorry-i mis-remembered! The meter cost about £13

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was much younger I served in the reserves as a combat soldier. We used to called up at least twice a year and for quite long periods of time. One of our ways to cope with being torn from home each time ,was to manage what you may say in English as "table of despair". ie we constructed a table of the days and dates and one by one ticked them off as the days past. ie we took on the challenge to keep sane one day at a time.

Its the same with food, take it one day at a time, feel a sense of accomplishment and pride each day as you mark the table with another cross. If you sit around thinking of food, you will soon find yourself moving to the kitchen to take yet another snack. and another day will be lost.Make a stand ,watch the days pass ,very slowly in the beginning and before you know it a week will have passed, then a month etc.

You can always get up and drink water, go for a walk, anything to divert your attention from comfort eating which seems to be your biggest enemy. Never eat watching TV, because it will then become second nature, you will associate watching TV with snacking.

Think ahead and dont dwell on the past, after all, what was,was. Now you have a new life ahead of you and you want it to be as full healthy as it possibly can. Good luck.

I like that.! "Table of despair." Mine is an app on an iPad mini. Ticking off the days with records of BS results, insulin units administered, carb counts, comments on why the lows... That sort of thing? ;)

You soon notice more good days than bad..!

Ayrshire Dave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality shows and people who wear sunglasses on top of their heads especially indoors.
I use the SD Codefree.
Got it from Amazon. £7 for the meter. £6.50ish for 50 strips.
I think it is worth its weight in gold!

Edited: Sorry-i mis-remembered! The meter cost about £13

How long does 50 strips last you. I was told I would need to test 3 to 4 times a day so would need roughly a hundred a month so very expensive, thanks Dave

Mary Morton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s been more than a month since being crowned a diabetic and my head often feels far too heavy from the weight of it all. The monotony of a low carbohydrate diet with portion control and my forced participation in The Hunger Games has left me constantly wanting to retreat to a life before all of this culinary restriction. This afternoon, while working from home, I could not stave off the panic of collapse from setting in as I explored my kitchen cupboards for remains of the past like an alcoholic in contemplative recovery perusing the liquor cabinet, initially as a measure of my success before very quickly devolving into a dangerous game of just-a-taste.

I came across a seemingly impossible forgotten can of Pringles that was being blocked by a concerned Quaker on a large drum of oatmeal like a Just Say No to Drugs bumper sticker on the lamppost of a dealer’s corner. And like any fiend in desperate need of a score, I wasn’t going to let age old wisdom create an obstacle in my self-destructive path towards the Pringle Guy’s sacred starch offering.

I had purchased what seemed like a crate of cans of my favorite ersatz potato chip snack while they were at a very special price about a year ago in a big box store, which I distinctly remember visiting just to walk through their cavernous aisles as exercise to push through the exhaustion and unfortunately not the irony that most of its food was causing me to feel. Fortunately, for their corporate shareholders and unfortunately for their customers, that retail establishment not so subtly plays both sides of a profitable game by providing their everyday low prices on most of the junk food that sends too many like myself directly across the aisle into the pharmacy where they corner the market on the cheapest diabetic supplies anywhere in the country. And even when the vicious cycle eventually peters out for good, it's reassuring to know they have unbeatable prices on caskets.

That first bite of pringle was the miniscule size an anorexic mouse might nibble off just to appease her rightfully concerned mother, but still guiltily enjoyed by allowing the complexity of flavor to echo far beyond the dissolution of its form. And then I took several gluttonous handfuls, the size equivalent of the poor anorexic mouse, her mother, father, twenty siblings and the entire overpopulated neighborhood of Mouseville, shamefully stuffing myself into a state of nausea, delight and for once in a long time a feeling of being full.

I am going to start over again tomorrow. This is really hard at times.
It’s been more than a month since being crowned a diabetic and my head often feels far too heavy from the weight of it all. The monotony of a low carbohydrate diet with portion control and my forced participation in The Hunger Games has left me constantly wanting to retreat to a life before all of this culinary restriction. This afternoon, while working from home, I could not stave off the panic of collapse from setting in as I explored my kitchen cupboards for remains of the past like an alcoholic in contemplative recovery perusing the liquor cabinet, initially as a measure of my success before very quickly devolving into a dangerous game of just-a-taste.

I came across a seemingly impossible forgotten can of Pringles that was being blocked by a concerned Quaker on a large drum of oatmeal like a Just Say No to Drugs bumper sticker on the lamppost of a dealer’s corner. And like any fiend in desperate need of a score, I wasn’t going to let age old wisdom create an obstacle in my self-destructive path towards the Pringle Guy’s sacred starch offering.

I had purchased what seemed like a crate of cans of my favorite ersatz potato chip snack while they were at a very special price about a year ago in a big box store, which I distinctly remember visiting just to walk through their cavernous aisles as exercise to push through the exhaustion and unfortunately not the irony that most of its food was causing me to feel. Fortunately, for their corporate shareholders and unfortunately for their customers, that retail establishment not so subtly plays both sides of a profitable game by providing their everyday low prices on most of the junk food that sends too many like myself directly across the aisle into the pharmacy where they corner the market on the cheapest diabetic supplies anywhere in the country. And even when the vicious cycle eventually peters out for good, it's reassuring to know they have unbeatable prices on caskets.

That first bite of pringle was the miniscule size an anorexic mouse might nibble off just to appease her rightfully concerned mother, but still guiltily enjoyed by allowing the complexity of flavor to echo far beyond the dissolution of its form. And then I took several gluttonous handfuls, the size equivalent of the poor anorexic mouse, her mother, father, twenty siblings and the entire overpopulated neighborhood of Mouseville, shamefully stuffing myself into a state of nausea, delight and for once in a long time a feeling of being full.

I am going to start over again tomorrow. This is really hard at times.
This really goes to show that you're human. One episode shouldn't affect your willpower long term. I've been Type 2 for 5 years and I'm still diet controlled. I put this down mainly to 2 things: Fear and Knowledge. The Fear was due to my dad's diabetes which resulted in the amputation of both legs and a young death. Knowledge came from Diabetes UK cookbooks which did not advocate starvation but balancing the right foods to fit with the GI. I lost 2stone + very quickly, the sugar levels dropped drastically and I stuck to it because I discovered new and enjoyable ways of eating. Recently I've been"naughty" chips and larger carb portions than I should, and the weight's built up. But I know how to sort it and I will. Can I suggest you try an Anthony Worrall Thompson/DiabetesUK cookbook and learn what delicious food there is for people like us. Don't be bored or half starved. Enjoy good healthy food!

Reactions: 7 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
How long does 50 strips last you. I was told I would need to test 3 to 4 times a day so would need roughly a hundred a month so very expensive, thanks Dave

Dave I use SD codefree as my GP surgery doesn't provide T2 with meters unless on insulin, unfortunately, so I bought an Accu-check avvia as the meter was £10 from Asda. However the cheapest strips were £21 for 50 from Amazon including pp. I use approx. 6 per day, as I've managed to keep my numbers in single figures with LC eating and exercise. Fasting BG, pre meal & 2hr post meal. With an extra test thrown in cause I'm testing a new food. This would mean 49 strips a week or £21 per week. Like over a piano a year (a grand, my attempt at pigeon cockney) ain't gonna happen bruv.

SD Codefree is not as comforting as the Accu-check, but like most things in life, it's how you use it that counts. Your trying to see what affects food/exercise and other stuff has on your BG... you can only do this using a meter.

So Home Health UK has the meters and the strips..... 50 strips if bought in a 5pk bulk buy with the code 264086. Works out as approx. £5.10 per week, using 49 strips. No contest.

As the cost of Diabetes complications can effect so many people, not just the Diabetic, £5+ per week with dietary and exercise effort we can take on the beast and have a real modium of control over our destiny. I for one find that exhilarating. Weird I know.

Hope that helps Dave.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
under cover during my son's swimming lesson, to the vending machine to buy a....I can hardly admit it....snickers. yeah I wrote it.

Oh GC, that did make me laugh!! Many times in the past when I was 'on a diet' I sneaked these kinds of foods and hid the evidence. Of course, I couldn't hide it from the diabetes so I knew I was only ever fooling myself. Using @Brunneria 's test and retest process sounds like such a good way to stay safe when falling off the wagon :oops:

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too find iit extremely difficult when the house is full of goodies I am not allowed, I would find it much easier if I lived alone. I constantly fall off the wagon, especially as I am not working and the temptation to eat constantly is overwhelming most days, just boredom but it does not help.
Dave
I think that's how I came off the tracks. My other half's is carb loaded: magnums, choc ices, quavers, crisps, noodles.
If I'm upset because I have had row with son or OH, I head for these. Like you, if I was on my own it would be so much easier.

vicjord

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I love sweet treats too so much so my husband has got a lockable box for his chocolate in the fridge, I don't have any will power at all. Even though I say I'm not going to eat that again I always do and hate myself for it, it's a vicious circle that is so hard to break out of, even though I have diabetes it's pushed to the back of my mind.

I really need to get back on the wagon, I've put a stone on of the 3 stone I lost last year:(. Hope you get back on your wagon soon.

Reactions: 5 people