Type 1 Diabetes and ME! Its NOT that bad!

Gem_Gems

<font color="purple"><font size="3"><font face="Book Antiqua">I've had type 1 diabetes pretty much all of my life.

And I don't give a sh*t what anyone thinks!

I'm always in posh restaurants, and I do my injection at the table. I don't care what anyone thinks! This is part of me.

I'm more ashamed of my tattoo than my diabetes.

But I'll admit it, I've been very fortunate with my diabetes care in my hometown. It is brillant. Apart from wanting a pump (but that's PCT's/NICE guidelines fault).

Be happy :) After all we are lucky if you think about it! x</font id="Book Antiqua"></font id="size3"></font id="purple">

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Gem,

Much as I admire your courage, I'm not sure that there's much to be gained by being quite so in-yer-face about it. There are some people who faint at the site of a needle. I was one of them until I had to go onto injections! :D

Mandarin

I used to hide when I injected but then I went to a music festival and I WASNT going to inject in the loos!!
So I started getting my kids to hide me which meant I had to have them right by me whenever I ate.
Then I decided that I had as much right to enjoy myself and not to worry about eating as every other person there.

There are much worse things than watching a diabetic prepare to eat.

If I am out I will inject myself as discretly as possible , but I will not hide.

Gem-gems - I admire your boldness

Innocent

Dislikes
Moaning. Its a pointless excercise if you dont like something find a proactive way to make it better, moaning gets ya nowhere but down.
I absolutely agree, I used to feel self conscious about going off to the loo in a restaurant to inject which sometimes raised even more eye brows and funny looks. I did that for ten years then realised if I was going to enjoy life being as outwardly normal as possible and not have to excuse myself to do a bloodtest or injection, then I had to be discreet and inject in situe.

Dont get me wrong I dont want to offend other eaters, or put them off their food. Many people are very squeemish about needles, and blood. That's not their fault and not related directly to a problem with diabetics per se, and I wouldnt wish to for any other people to feel uncomfortable around me. I cant bear the sight of needles or blood, when they're not mine. :lol:

When out eating, I usually inject discreetly through a t-sht or lift my top a tint bit to inject my tummy. Its all done so quickly that the converstaion is rarely interrupted, and most people wouldnt even notice what I had done. Every body happy. :D

Sweet3x

Innocent said:
When out eating, I usually inject discreetly through a t-sht

ok, didn't know you could do this! thought there was something about the fibres of the t-shirt not being good? And doesn't going through material first blunt the needle? Cool, though :D will solve a lot of problems for me - using the loos in any restaurant in France is a highly dubious affair, and I really don't trust them to be clean. Now you've mentioned this, I'll give it a go :) thank you.

Innocent

Dislikes
Moaning. Its a pointless excercise if you dont like something find a proactive way to make it better, moaning gets ya nowhere but down.
Indeed I wouldnt recommend injecting this way for every injection, but in times of need it comes in very handy.
I have injected through clothes on occasion for the past 15years and have no dodgy side effects re fibres etc but I see the point.
Do be careful though, if injecting through white as occasionally you may bleed a little from injection site. If this hapens and you have white on, and hadnt realised there was a drop of blood there it will soak through and stain the clothing. :oops:

Katharine

Steven tests and injects at the table too. I think with the growing number of diabetics and type twos using insulin more it won't be long before restaurants provide test strips and cin bins. :p

Tell me more about your tattoo.