Sore throat recommendations please

Romola

What would you recommend to suck for a very sore throat?

I was going to have the occasional Strepsil extra - as I can't think that the small amount of sugar will make much difference - but I'd be grateful for you comments.

Thanks

Romola Type 2. diet and exercise only.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Romola.

I would recommend that you go to your Phamacy and ask the Pharmacist what he/she recommends. Tell them that you are a Diabetic and you will get the best advice. You need sugar free and any other medication you take will also be taken into account. Best to use your regular Pharmacy.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
plenty of sugar free sore throat remedies about

issigonis59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I must admit, I swear by a tot of whisky or two !

It soothes the throat, and kills the bugs ! :wink:

Rachel

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Dissolving a paracetomol in warm water and gargling with it can ease a sore throat, though a hot whiskey is a lot tastier,
Suzi x

ally5555

yes ask your pharmacist but I am prone to sore throats and one of the best remedies is to gargle in salty water - it is really soothing!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Try gargling with ice cold water,no problem with interactions and numbs the back of the throat for a while giving relief,also can repeat as often as required.

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One Old fashioned remedy is Gargling with TCP - 1 part TCP diluted with 5 parts warm water which is quite soothing.
Yep it sure smells and folk will probably smell you before they see you but it is good at knocking any bugs dead. :lol:

Difflam Sore Throat Rinse can be used as a gargle – Difflam contains glycerol which some people worry will elevate blood glucose levels – technically it does not and as you are gargling with the stuff not drinking it it should’nt affect blood glucose levels.

Your blood glucose levels may be elevated anyway due to the sore throat.

The other option is Difflam Throat Spray – numbs the back of the throat – we use it a lot with children because then it encourages them to drink & eat.

Drink plenty of fluids and eat food that is crunchy – sounds really cruel but any sloppy foods coat a sore throat making it an even nicer breeding ground for bugs. :shock:

Personally I would opt for the whiskey :!:

All the best

Txx

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
Covonia throat spray is really effective and is marketed as suitable for diabetics. It's also effective if as an emergency measure you spray it on an aching tooth! Not half as much fun as whisky though :lol: , which also helps if held over the offending tooth :D
Val

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Warm (not too hot) Really Light Ribena blackcurrant is very soothing on a sore throat. (Get your slave to) make it stronger than if drinking it cold.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
im getting over flu and ive been sucking ice cubes and gargling with salt water :D

Romola

Thanks for that - I really just wanted to know about lozenges. We are lucky enough to be going to Stratford upon Avon next week for three plays, and if I end up with one of those annoying coughs that hang on after colds, I need something in my handbag to prevent being murdered by irate fellow play goers (not to mention the actors as we are near the stage).

Have now got some sugar free Strepsils - so those plus a bottle of water should do just fine.

Best wishes

Romola

Romola

Meant also to add that those throat sprays are very good - haven't tired the Covonia one yet, but OH bought me a Vicks one.

I would also like to add a favourite remedy of my own - an infusion of thyme, lemon balm and mint. Let it steep for a couple of hours and use as a gargle - you can swallow it too.

Oddly, I haven't found that my bg has been affected at all - nor is it by changes in temperature.

The one thing that seems to make a difference is exercise - even fairly gentle peddling on my pedal exerciser for 15 mins.

This fast and furious virus infection is already getting much better, so I may not need the Strepsils with any luck.

Thanks again :p

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
Bradosol sugar free anti-bacterial lozenges are suitable for people with diabetes. I prefer the cherry menthol flavour. You are able to purchase them in some chemists.