Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It was a brilliant read :)

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
That was the most brilliant article I've ever read. He should be applauded for standing up against diabullying :)

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
An excellent piece, thanks for posting. I'm just curious as to how people know whether the author is male or female? I didn't read any indication of that in the post. Granted, given the author's likely age they are more likely to be male, since 50 years ago most doctors were male, but I don't think we are told their gender in the post.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi folks,
I'm Type 2, and to be honest, get judged for being so regularly. Media & public perception is a factor in the blame game scenario. But, I had NO idea that Type 1's were judged so harshly until I read the Facebook link comments. To be bullied by other Type 1 Diabetics or/and health care professionals is plain evil. What arrogance that they consider what they think, feel or have to say is more important than you & how you manage your own disorder. I have had my eyes opened. To any Diabullies who may be reading this.....back off & find something else to do with your time, you sorry, sad, little person. Respect & best wishes folks. Good health to you all. X

Reactions: 10 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
An excellent piece, thanks for posting. I'm just curious as to how people know whether the author is male or female? I didn't read any indication of that in the post. Granted, given the author's likely age they are more likely to be male, since 50 years ago most doctors were male, but I don't think we are told their gender in the post.
If you read the comments, the author is named as Dr Stephen Ponder.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Great read but sad that it had to be written.

Reactions: 9 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great ! Funny how I recently noticed how much diabullying comes from fellow diabetics .

Reactions: 10 people

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
I agree Anaelena. It opened my eyes to a work colleague who continually criticises what I eat/drink. Yet they eat continually throughout the day (diabetic t2 as well) stuffing herself with anything and everything anybody brings in. A big shopping bag with containers of food, chocolate, crisps, biscuits and several cans fizzy drinks. Her excuse? My doctor says I should eat 6 small meals a day!!
Sorry everybody, rant over.

Reactions: 5 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree Anaelena. It opened my eyes to a work colleague who continually criticises what I eat/drink. Yet they eat continually throughout the day (diabetic t2 as well) stuffing herself with anything and everything anybody brings in. A big shopping bag with containers of food, chocolate, crisps, biscuits and several cans fizzy drinks. Her excuse? My doctor says I should eat 6 small meals a day!!
Sorry everybody, rant over.

Aha! I know that excuse :) . They are the perfect projectors aren't they ?

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
True Anaelena. And she's good at it. Also with the 'poor me' act

Reactions: 4 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Brilliant.
I've liked the facebook page so I can get updates when he posts from now on!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have experienced a lot of bullying from healthcare professionals other than my GP. I have ended up crying, several times. A consultant shouted at me for wearing low heeled closed-toe slingbacks, a nurse tried to prevent me leaving a room, physically. I've been told not to eat cakes and biscuits (I didn't before diagnosis anyway) by umpteen nurses and to eat porridge also, even if they are way fatter than me.

I don't tell people that I have diabetes in real life or social media other than here because people are so judgmental. I get really annoyed with my mother for telling people, especially when her friends start recommending diets to me !

If I test away from home and some one asks I tell them I have carbohydrate intolerance. That works, I get sympathy without judgment.

Reactions: 8 people

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I have experienced a lot of bullying from healthcare professionals other than my GP. I have ended up crying, several times. A consultant shouted at me for wearing low heeled closed-toe slingbacks, a nurse tried to prevent me leaving a room, physically. I've been told not to eat cakes and biscuits (I didn't before diagnosis anyway) by umpteen nurses and to eat porridge also, even if they are way fatter than me.

I don't tell people that I have diabetes in real life or social media other than here because people are so judgmental. I get really annoyed with my mother for telling people, especially when her friends start recommending diets to me !

If I test away from home and some one asks I tell them I have carbohydrate intolerance. That works, I get sympathy without judgment.

It sounds like they're doing their job, but not exactly being sympathetic with a chronic illness. My advice to you is to stay away from such people and socialize with rational people with a heart. Maybe they will end up with a horrible disease and regret their attitude one day.

Reactions: 3 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP says that sometimes healthcare professionals forget that the collection of symptoms in front of them are connected to a person. He's brilliant though.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been lucky in being retired when I was diagnosed and so far have only had polite or concerned interest in my health and my low carb diet from my friends, and one of the (rather plump) practice nurses. The only possible diabullying has actually come from my husband who's spouted the usual "you shouldn't be testing " and occasional heated arguments about what I should eat, and I've ended up yelling at him that I'm not effing eating food with extra carbs in, etc, etc. (But he can also be a bully in other areas, so nothing new...) I think although I've generally been unwilling to be confrontational most of my life, I'd now be telling any critics of my way of handling my diabetes or diet where to put their ignorant and unwanted "advice"; diabetes in this respect has improved my assertiveness, and made my tolerance fuse somewhat shorter.

Robbity

Reactions: 9 people