Folic Acid Deficiency / Anaemia

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

I was diagnosed yesterday with a folic acid deficiency and have been prescribed folic acid supplements. I'm wondering if the change is likely to affect my blood glucose as I know folic acid affects red blood cells. Does anybody have any experience with this, or perhaps anaemia which I believe has very similar effects on the body?

Thanks for reading,
Beccy

ps. the symptoms are very similar to under-active thyroid - so if you've been tested but told you thyroid is fine it might be worth asking to have your folate level checked...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @BeccyB, not sure if the supplements will have an effect on your bg levels, I'll tag a lady who might know as she recently had a baby and may have taken Folic Acid @azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, @noblehead

Hi @BeccyB

I took 5mg of folic acid for many months. It didn't affect my blood sugar at all as far as I'm aware, nor did it have any other side effects that I noticed. My HbA1C remained around the same level and improved when I became pregnant and my control was tighter. So that shows the folic acid didn't affect it.

Hope that reassures you :)

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have also been recently prescribed the same (not pregnant) been taking them for approx 2 weeks and have noticed no impact on blood sugars at all :)

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

I was diagnosed yesterday with a folic acid deficiency and have been prescribed folic acid supplements. I'm wondering if the change is likely to affect my blood glucose as I know folic acid affects red blood cells. Does anybody have any experience with this, or perhaps anaemia which I believe has very similar effects on the body?

Thanks for reading,
Beccy

ps. the symptoms are very similar to under-active thyroid - so if you've been tested but told you thyroid is fine it might be worth asking to have your folate level checked...

There are some studies ( I am not saying it does or doesn't for the naysayers ) just pointing out the facts that show it may even help some people control and lower their blood sugars. I have anemia and supplement as well. I don't notice any changes unless I stop taking the supplements. :)

I was part of a study while pregnant that was testing for differences in blood sugar control, folic acid usage and the effects of them on the fetuses of type 1 pregnant women . I can say from my personal experience that control from my first pregnancy and my second was much different. With second being much more strict and easier to control.

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
There is currently no strong scientific evidence that folate supplementation lowers blood sugar. There is some evidence that it can slightly reduce the risk of stroke, though. I am going to ask my doctor about it, thanks for posting, BeccyB.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-HealthProfessional/

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks ladies, I might look at some of the studies at the weekend, could be something interesting...

@Curly604 have you seen an improvement in your original symptoms yet? I can't find anything online to tell me how long they take to start working and I'm desperate to get better now I know what the problem is!!

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They gave it to me as levels of the vitamin was low and I had issues with numbness and tingly feet - this has now significantly decreased so I think it is having a positive impact

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess I just need to be a bit more patient then :)

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It did take a good 10days for me to notice the difference but it has helped so I hope it will benefit you too :)

Reactions: 2 people