Really struggling. Type2

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
CatLadyNZ, theirs is just so much of your post I disagree with, so I’ll address each point in turn.

“…. but it is better to be on the safe side and start out at least on Metformin, then if the patient improves they can look at reducing or stopping ….”

Why is it better to start on Metformin? My personal view is it is better to start without meds, and see what we can do for ourselves. The mental and physical benefits of self healing are massive, and, in my view, far better for my mental health than being told I have a long term condition and take these tablets. If you are like me, taking no medication whatsoever, the prospect of meds for life was far, far more depressing than the prospect of having a condition I had to learn to control. And that’s before I even consider the impact of Metformin’s toilet tethering potentials. How many people do we see coming onto the forum who are more concerned about their medication side effects than their diabetes?

How will one ever learn what our own bodies can do if we immediately start flooding them with chemicals? How do we know what’s actually making the improvements? Especially when we hear, anecdotally, so often of DN’s saying “we can control that with mdes”.; and especially chemicals that can themselves add unpleasant symptoms.

“…. If they start going back up again, meds will be needed again…..” I would just say, not always. Most people I see coming on here where their numbers have degraded, admit to at least a margin of slippage in their control. Of course, I’m not saying everyone can stay meds free, nor am I saying that going onto, or back onto drugs is a terrible thing, I just don’t think it should be the base line assumption. It isn’t on Planet Breathe.

“….all the current scientific indicators are that when a person has diabetes that long, insulin will be needed later in life….” I would like to see your scientific evidence to back that up, but that said, I could believe it being said today. But. And it’s a very big but, diabetes management; particularly the understanding and treatment of T2 has come such a long way in recent years that I am hoping the percentages of T2s requiring strong medication will significantly reduce over time. I am currently 58 and I hope I can live the rest of my life in my current state; that being running in non-diabetic levels, meds-free. Of course, I may not achieve that, but that is my absolute aim. I do not have any expectation of needing insulin, even if I reach over 80, but I daresay if I had a proven physical deterioration, rendering control impossible without chemical assistance, then I would weigh up the option. I consider my life is likely to be overall healthier and happier if I am able to avoid chemical interventions as much as possible, never mind the fact that introducing any management regime introduces the potentials for a whole new set of side-effects and complications.

Doctors have to work on a worst case scenario and take the conservative approach. Not in my world they don’t! If my Doctor wants to treat me along the lines of the lowest common denominator, then she/he will have a few tough conversations coming along her/his way. A fundamental part of any consultation is listening as well as talking – for both parties. Patients who feel their Docs don’t listen have to work out a way of communicating their concerns in such a way their point gets home. Before any appointment I have with my doctor, I do my preparation. I know what I want to discuss (yes, discuss), the questions I want to ask and the things I want to tell her/him. Where necessary, I make notes or a list, and share that with her. A Doc/Patient relationship is not a Master/Servant relationship, in my view, and we all have a part to play in managing how our Doctors view us, and the level of service we receive.

Most people do not have the desire to lose a large amount of weight and heavily restrict their food choices. I would say most people have the desire to lose weight, but not restrict their food choices, long term. I do worry about the current EatWell Plate, but again, I do hope this is becoming old-fashioned. Where the patient is told they have diabetes, they’re going to have it forever and probably end up on insulin, where is the real incentive to make a seismic change? Patients should be informed of the options available to them, and the pros and cons of each approach, so that they can evaluate their preferred route to living with this condition. Sometimes those choices will be around the best of a bad lot, but to assume the person in front of them is going to do nothing borders on abusive, in my view.

But they have work on the assumption that most people won't make it, in which case it is cheaper for the taxpayer in the long run that those people take meds to avoid complications. I think my last response covers this too.

CatLady, all in all I found your post to be very depressing. If those are your beliefs, then I’m unlikely to be able to change them, but I feel sad for you.

Finally, before writing any of this, I looked at your profile to understand a little more about you, but it doesn’t hold much to help me with the context, relating to this post. Could I ask how long you have been diagnosed?

To avoid contributing to this thread getting derailed, I've responded in a new thread:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...s-often-prescribe-meds-for-t2-diabetes.81421/

Good luck with your progress Tina321. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tina

I don't think that is too radical at all - although I think a lot of it is just a lack of keeping up to date / maintaining an interest in latest research etc!

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How you doing new man, I've been at my daughters for last 2 days and we have had a good conversation about diabetes which I think has helped. I am A friends tonight and she has cooked paella I though the rice would send me over 10 but it didn't 9.2 so although higher than it has been this week I'm happy with that.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats not a bad number after eating rice. Im glad you and your daughter were able to have a good conversation, Im sure it would have helped you both to talk about your diabetes.

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I am s little baffled by the last two days as although I thought I had conquered dawn phenomenon it seems to be back with a vengeance! 9.7 yesterday morning and 9.1 this morning! Sets me up for a bad day and I am doing absolutely nothing different to the last few weeks when my readings were so good I couldn't believe it! Oh well just have to grin and bear it and keep on trying! Glad to hear your results are going well!

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New man , I wonder if a good half hour walk might bring it down ?

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone advise me please , I went for a walk this morning and when I git back I felt shaky in side and slightly sick like when your too hungry. I tested my sugar and it was 4.6 is this a slight hypo ?

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tina

It is probably a false hypo based on your usually higher numbers! But still feels like a hypo I know! It will take you a while to adjust to the lower numbers but you will get there!

I may well have a walk tonight to try and address my own rising levels - although I got a 5.2 before lunch so getting back to normal slowly!

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, I've never had a hypo so I don't really know what one is like.
Glad your sugars are lower now, well done you , mines gone down to 4.6 , is this good ? It's never been so low !

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats not a bad number after eating rice. Im glad you and your daughter were able to have a good conversation, Im sure it would have helped you both to talk about your diabetes.
Thanks 4ratbags, it was good to talk. Thank you for your encouragement over the last week, I feel South better than this time last week

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
4.6 is great! Keep in the mid fours and fives and you won't go far wrong! Usually a couple of numbers up after meals so mid 6s and early sevens are ok 'post prandial' as they call it

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New man you have inspired me to go for a walk after tea. Thank you

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I managed a very small jog last night and the result was a 5.9 this morning and a 5.5 just before lunch so hopefully I am back on the straight and narrow!

Reactions: 2 people