Type 1 Diabetic With NEW Tattoo

yipster29

Well I did nearly point out that aint aint in the dictionary ain aint.... but thought better of it!!!

:lol: :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ooooh, my sides hurt !!

Ken. :D

RebeccaSmith

How is the healing process with a tattoo of a diabetic?
I really want one and there is a place that does it underage that is clean in my area...very tempted but obviously dont want it to go all wrong - particularly as if I state I have diabetes they will ask for a doctors note and I won't be able tog et one as I am 17...
Does it affect your blood sugars as well, because when I get piercings (I have quite a few...) I always tend to have a sudden sugar drop and faint, but I'm fine after a biccy and my legs have been raised above my heart...
That discovery news tattoo article looks awesome! If it ever comes out, I will definately get one without a second thought :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The only advise I'd give when getting tattoos is DON'T GET ANY LITTLE ONES!!! Tattooing is adictive - and you'll want more. Make sure you spend a suitable amount on a decent peice of art work. Don't get a tattoo for the sake of getting a tattoo.

This is the voice of experience. I got a tattoo of a bulldog (!) when I was 16, thena tattoo of a panther when I was 18. Wish I had the space on my arm and shoulder to do over again, but hey-ho...

Derek27db

Hi

Long time lurker, first time poster but this thread caught my eye.

I too thought that it was about was the effects of healing etc from having a tattoo done :mrgreen: Very nice design and idea.

I've always just wanted a simple thistle on my upper arm with my kids names across it in scrolls. But I thought that because we (diabetics) are supposed to take that bit longer to heal it was a bad idea and wasn't recommended. Am I right in thinking that if I get one done on my upper arm I couldn't inject there anymore?

Interestingly when I did DAFNE last year they told me injecting in my upper arm should be done underneath i.e the 'bingo wings'. I had never been told this in my previous 25+ years as a diabetic and just added a bit of confusion.

Do you have to go through a health questionare if you go to a respectable tatooist. or any other things? I'm only now convinced about getting one after reading this thread and haven't a clue what to expect.

Sorry about all the questions but I suppose thats how you get answers :)

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Rebecca - if they don't care about the legalities of your legal age, why should they bother with all the hassle of the sterilising if they can't even be bothered to check your ID?
Honestly, Wait. Please. Tattoo's are a serious, long term thing, don't let idiots loose on your body.

I have one on my lower back, and a fair more planned. The healing seemed better than everyone said it would be, i didnt really scab over, colour retained wonderfully.

The design looks fabulous. I really want one of those kind of things myself, but it's hard because the rest are planned to be sci-fi themed....
Looks great. :D

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On that subject.

There is tattoo ink that reacts to BG: http://www.neatorama.com/2009/02/13/diabetes-monitoring-nanoparticle-tattoos/

Now think on some cool designs you could do there :)

Tattoo azz

Hi, i have 6 tatts down both arms and am considering more. I have one on my forearm very similar to the pic on the previous page. Rebecca- as was said before, don't get a tatt if the studio doesn't check your age because they are more likely to only care about your money rather than your health. If i were you i would spend the time until you turn 18 looking on the web for designs, inspiration etc, go to your local library and look at the books on the subject. Finally, you don't have to have a note from your doc saying you're in control just tell them you are a t1 diabetic when you go in to arrange an aapointment, test before you leave your house and then before you have it done, if the studio is any good they will even let you test during the process itself and always take something with you to boost your levels if neaded. My tattoos took abt 1-2 weeks longer to heal than if i weren't a diabetic, but the advice is still the same WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T PICK THE SCABS!!

jskaife

In regards to Derek27b question

When I went to have the tattoo done they did make me fill out a questionnaire / health form and make me sign it to say they couldn't be held responsible etc.. On the form there was a box which i ticked to say I was diabetic.

I'm on 22 and initially wanted to get a tattoo but couldn't decide what, then i saw some designs on google and decided to get the caduceus which is a simple design and just the words type 1 diabetic underneath.

Initially i wanted more detail in the snake however because of the location and the size they said it was look rubbish because to small so was quite happy to keep to the original caduceus design.

I'm glad that the post has taken people by surprise in regards to it not being about the healing process however there are some important factors that should be taken in mind: -

If you get an infection worse case scenario is you could lose that limb.

I thought about getting a tattoo very carefully and although my diabetes isn't extremely well controlled I felt that I'm young and probably well enough to heel fine.

I thought it would take me ages to heal but after 3 weeks of putting Savlon on 3 times a day i was completely healed.

I don't regret having it done at all and would love to see one day other T1 members posting there pics soon too!!!!

yingal26

Dislikes
Patronising doctors mainly. Taxi drivers.
Branding and Tattoos

sugarybibs said:
When we are diagnosed we should be tatooed and have a choice of type of tatoo etc.
:lol:

Just as well we don't get branded with a hot iron when we're diagnosed! :shock: I have been contemplating a tattoo for a long while now but I keep worrying about how painfull it will be! This is coming from someone who has peircings lol. How painful is it to get a tattoo exactly?

Yingal26.

Marky74

It is a lot less painfull that piercings... I have 2 tats and a few piercings... I prefer tattoos :)

I will be getting one on my wrist as I can't find a meditag I get on with!!

jskaife

Marky74

If you decide to get one on your wrist please please please post pictures.

As for the pain, its a little hard to describe, I suppose its like someone drawing on you with a pen but pushing quite hard. Its when they go over the lines over and over in the same place, thats when it starts to hurt. lol

I love my tattoo, I look at it everyday and think its great... But I understand what people say when they say once you have one you will want more

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I must be a wimp - because I've been in absolute agony when I've had all 4 of my tattoos done! After a while you can just kind of shut the pain out of your head - but for the first 15 or 20 mins it's the devils own torture!!!

yipster29

I must be a bit weird as I enjoyed having mine done!!! :shock:

I'm very tempted by a wrist 'diabetic' one so backing up the previous post... please put up pics if you get one done!!! :D

khristina.b

I have recently had a diabetic tattoo on my wrist, and can honestly say it didnt hurt at all, and I have skinny wrists lol :D I would post a picture but I have no idea how to go about it :?

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I have 1/2 dozen tatts. and asked the various Diabetes companies for a well known design but none would help as they can't condone tattoos. Like your's but I don't want anything quite so big. Anybody out there with designs, etc. I'd be interested in looking at them.
AL,
Type 2 for 11 yrs ish Tablets /Diet

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I "doodled" my own design of tattoo.
Took me 3weeks to get it exactly as I wanted it to look .
Played around with the sizing of it also in my doodles !
Spent hours on this, doodles plus rummaging through internet .

Worth the all time and effort as I 'LOVE' my own unique tattoo ...

Got it very small , feminine , and dainty in size and design .
Despite being sick of writing 'Diabetic' hundreds of times over and over again !

Visted ryan [my tattoist] 4 times prior to having it done.
We discussed at length my own design and the safety of my wellbeing.

As he was so professional and clean and knew his bumpf etc...
I knew I had found the right tattooist :D :thumbup:
This is the most important thing - to find the right tattooist .
As the tattoo is for the rest of your life .

Hope this helps.
Anna.