To Low Carb or Not to Low carb

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Maybe someone should tell my body that, since the EXACT opposite has happened. Increased my saturated fat consumption = increased HDL, decreased LDL and decimated trigs...

I've had the same results as Doc as have many more who choose the LC diet, an added benefit is being able to keep off the statins. :)

Doczoc

graham64 said:
I've had the same results as Doc as have many more who choose the LC diet, an added benefit is being able to keep off the statins. :)

Good to get off those Statins, I'm not anti medication, there is obviously a need but for me, personally, less is definitely more.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Kegstore
I'm not saying that we shouldn't believe any textbooks, just that when they conflict with the evidence, we re-evaluate the evidence.( and the textbook 8) )

chrissieworne

I love my carbs but am tring to reduce them, trouble is I get sooooooooooooo humgry and tired without them, how can I replace them? I am not a big meat eater and am trying to be low fat as I need to lose weight, I am really confused.com !!

Chrissie :roll:

Doczoc

chrissieworne said:
I love my carbs but am tring to reduce them, trouble is I get sooooooooooooo humgry and tired without them, how can I replace them? I am not a big meat eater and am trying to be low fat as I need to lose weight, I am really confused.com !!

Chrissie :roll:

Have you tried Amazon for some low carb vegetarian cookbooks. I'm not promoting low carb here but you can use the recipes as a basis and then adapt them accordingly. Unfortunately when you reduce carbs there is a need to replace that energy. I have chosen to up my fat intake instead of carbs and it has worked for me. I have lost four stones in weight and have never gone hungry. I no longer have those mood swings I used to have and have more energy than ever!

Other people adopt a low GI strategy and portion control. I know Mulleander (I can never remember how to spell that) has had good results using this method. If you feel low carb is not for you why not give him a PM. You can find him in the non low carb section.

Aadrgon

chrissieworne said:

Chrissie, follow the low carb route to start with by cutting out bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. Don't worry too much about low fat. Give yourself a few weeks to stabilise and to get used to the low carb then, if you want to, try introducing various foodstuffs back into your diet and testing to see what effect they have on your BG. Low GI foodstuffs will give you better results.

Following the recommended diet from my surgery my BG's were around 12 -13 on average. Following a low carb ( with an occasional bit of backsliding ) my BG's are normally around 6-7 but I still have problems with the dawn phenomena. And I've lost 2 stone in weight.

your body does not need carbs other than those from green leafy vegetables, it is capable of making glucose from fat or protein if necessary.

However some people enjoy carb and if you can get away with having extra in your diet without it causing any problems then good for you. unfortunately I'm not.

Doczoc

Aadrgon said:
your body does not need carbs other than those from green leafy vegetables, it is capable of making glucose from fat or protein if necessary.
I think a variety of veg is important, although starchy root veg should be avoided or eaten in small amounts. Green leafy stuff dominates my salad intake, with a dresiing of olice oil, red wine vinegar and salt, yum. Also your body can certainly make glucose from protein but not fat I don't think. this is why fat has minimal effect on BG. Glad you are doing so well on the low carb!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Chrissie
you should be able to get used to doing without carbs and adapt to not being hungy. I did a 4 mile hike in the rain with another diabetic this morning. He just couldn't understand how I kept going on a breakfast of German salami and nothing else. I am used to it and it's what I normally do. For lunch I had green salad and mushroom omelette. Again minimal carbs. For dinner I've cooked mince. I shall have mine with a few runner beans. I will have a bedtime snack of crispbread( 1 piece) with cheese.