New to the forum...

eabhamurphy

hi again,

yeah i was only diagnosed about 11 days ago..so def think im in what they call a honeymoon period...think what happened at christmas was a hypo, doc thought it was just to do with anxiety and gave me some beta-blockers for my next set of exams, which went well despite having an average H1Ac of 12 for that period! obviously i didnt know at the time.

Anyways im feeling so much better, just bought a measuring scales so im going to figure out my carb:insulin thingy this week. Im currently experiencing a hypo of 2.5, i injected 2 units novorapid with a meal of 80grams cooked rice (20grams carbs)..but then i went walking around town so serves me right for using up the glucose on exercise!

In response to Howies 'how do you manage partying?'...well to be honest ive had problems with anxiety and depression so i made a decision to give up drinking over a year ago and Ive not touched a drop since, so im not best placed to tell you what i do or would do. It would scare me to think of being too drunk to know how to take care of myself (which incidently happened alot back in the day) especially with the diabetes to think of now! Obviously you have to live the lifestyle you want to..so id say moderation is key but i suck at moderation...all or nothing kinda gal!

Eva :)

howie

hey,

do you think the onset may have been linked to the depression/anxiety? i got no family history of anything. i'm the only one ever to get ill or have a 'condition', so i'm certain my diabetes was triggered by a very stressful and anxious 18 months i had. i was all geared up to graduate and go and chill/party for a few years to make up for it. but obviously gotta take it easy now and be responsible so guess i'll just get my 'career' on track instead. maybe leave the partying till there's a cure (if i'm not too old) or till 'smart insulin' comes out.

i wish i'd got onto this forum as early as you did, especially as i spent the whole weekend in hospital absolutely petrified that i was gonna be impotent and lose the feeling in my feet by the time i got home.

partying doesn't have to involve drink/drugs, what about just staying up all night and lying in, stuff like that?

howie

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
howie said:
+ how do you guys find partying since diagnosis?

We love it! We got fired from the Student Bar after a month working there for trying to set fire to some shots... But we're at another bar working (although not at the mo. We're involved in a clinical trial for a Parkinson's drug now)... <- Easiest work ever... I (Níall) sit there with flashcards asking people if they can remember the pictures and to say the colour of the word when the words are 'red, blue, yellow etc. etc.).

And Eoin just tests people's hand-eye co-ordination... By throwing balls at old people...

Yeah, we're living la vida loca...

Also... No problems with feet falling off... I hope, because I didn't check this morning...

lionrampant

Handyníall said:
howie said:
+ how do you guys find partying since diagnosis?

We love it! We got fired from the Student Bar after a month working there for trying to set fire to some shots...

:lol: I like these guys.

eabhamurphy said:
Anyways im feeling so much better, just bought a measuring scales so im going to figure out my carb:insulin thingy this week. Im currently experiencing a hypo of 2.5, i injected 2 units novorapid with a meal of 80grams cooked rice (20grams carbs)..but then i went walking around town so serves me right for using up the glucose on exercise!

lol, enjoy it while it lasts, believe me. :)

howie said:
hey,

do you think the onset may have been linked to the depression/anxiety? i got no family history of anything. i'm the only one ever to get ill or have a 'condition', so i'm certain my diabetes was triggered by a very stressful and anxious 18 months i had.

I'd say this is as plausible as any other current theory. Anyone else?

howie said:
i was all geared up to graduate and go and chill/party for a few years to make up for it. but obviously gotta take it easy now and be responsible so guess i'll just get my 'career' on track instead. maybe leave the partying till there's a cure (if i'm not too old) or till 'smart insulin' comes out.

partying doesn't have to involve drink/drugs, what about just staying up all night and lying in, stuff like that?

howie

Hell no mate. Just go and have fun. You can still party you just need to keep an eye on your BG levels at the same time. Little more responsibility, but you still get to go out and enjoy yourself. As for staying up all night and sleeping... you can sometimes screw yourself up because you don't do injections at the usual times. But meh, it's manageable.

Handyníall

Dislikes
Anything that'll wake us up before noon on a weekend...
Yeah, we were making absinthe shots when we wondered what would happen if we did it in a yard of ale glass.

Our ILC (Irish Leaving Certificate) chemistry should've taught us that a rapid expansion of liquid was only going to head in one direction... Fair play to them though, they left our scorch marks on the ceiling...

clarentina

Dislikes
Not having peanut butter
Partying with diabetes is not too hard :) I often find I go low the morning after so I reduce my morning insulin accordingly. Sometimes I get takeaways but ususally I just have a piece of toast and some soup when I get home (Cream Of Tomato, enough fat to line the stomach, enough sugar to keep you going overnight!!)
My last GP said to me, 'you're a student, i know you'll drink. if you must drink, drink wine'. and that i did do.

Clare