Prediabetes who's right?

millymitz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you PhilJay and Suzie, am I right in thinking popcorn IS ok people? I don't eat bananas, do miss honey on greek yogurt but I can live without it. Bread and spuz I cannot!!! :spitoutdummy:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to be a downer, but i would strongly suggest avoiding fructose (which is present in agave and sweet freedom). They don't have glucose, so their impact on blood glucose is less than sugar. But it has been shown that the way the body processes fructose is not helpful to type 2 diabetics, and may even be a factor in developing T2.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025619615000403

I know! Its a minefield!

Personally, i don't get on with artificial sweeteners (different ones give me insomnia or send me hyper, or give me gut trouble) but so far i have had no problems with xylitol and erythritol)

Reactions: 6 people

Suzie Quartly

Sorry to be a downer, but i would strongly suggest avoiding fructose (which is present in agave and sweet freedom). They don't have glucose, so their impact on blood glucose is less than sugar. But it has been shown that the way the body processes fructose is not helpful to type 2 diabetics, and may even be a factor in developing T2.

I know! Its a minefield!

Personally, i don't get on with artificial sweeteners (different ones give me insomnia or send me hyper, or give me gut trouble) but so far i have had no problems with xylitol and erythritol)

I havent found an artificial sweetener I actually like, so will go with fructose based ones for the very few times i want sweetener, Afterall they are approved by D UK. I have a prob with the taste of Stevia too, I guess its the malto dextrin filler they use.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

I know! Its a minefield!

Same as Brunneria. Avoid all artificial sweeteners and also selective on any preservatives...

Reactions: 2 people

deedee

Is porridge ok for breakfast? Type 2

I think you may not get one direct answer on this. The advice given by NHS etc is that carbohydrates such as oats are fine as part of a healthy diet. However if you read a lot of the personal experiences of people with type 2 it seems that in order to reduce blood glucose eating low carbohydrates is the way to go. If you were eating low carbohydrate then porridge would be too high in carbohydrate for most people. If I were to have a bowl of porridge I would defiantly see a significant rise in my blood glucose reading.

That said I am still new to all this and I am sure someone with more experience will be along to explain it all a little better.

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for reply, it's all so confusing! Low carbing is so boring but looks like I'll have to give it a go

deedee

Thanks for reply, it's all so confusing! Low carbing is so boring but looks like I'll have to give it a go
I felt much the same when I first started looking at it, I am also veggie so even more limited. However I came to the realisation that it was the carbs that had caused the problems I have and I could continue as I was and expect my condition to worsen and medications to increase or I could try and change my habits and, hopefully, minimise the problems.

There is actually a lot more choices than I first realised. There is a thread in the low carb forum where people post what they have been eating, it is a good way to see what low carb eating looks like.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you PhilJay and Suzie, am I right in thinking popcorn IS ok people? I don't eat bananas, do miss honey on greek yogurt but I can live without it. Bread and spuz I cannot!!! :spitoutdummy:
Hi @millymitz you need to read the nutritional info as the carb content of popcorn varies. I have Tesco's Popcorn which is only 5.6g per bag and they do salted, salt and sweet and sweet (which hubby nicks!). I can eat it OK but if you have a meter try it and see how it affects you.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Evelynross it depends. Some people can eat porridge - I often have hot oat cereal with added oatbran for b/fast with no effects on my BS but many cannot. The only way to know for sure is to test with your meter.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say "no" until proved otherwise by testing. I have whole-grain presoaked organic oats with other stuff including fat, so not "proper" porridge, and it's been ok so far.

Billy Ruffian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've discovered that porridge made with skimmed milk, which was my usual breakfast before diagnosis, causes quite a high spike in my bg. I wouldn't have discovered this without metering.