Getting Better

Robanny

Hello!
I just wanted to say thank you to everybody here at Diabetes.co.uk, as with your help and advice I've finally started to get a handle on my diabetes! 10 days ago I had an epiphany, and decided that it was high time I started taking care of my diabetes and learning how to look after myself - after 9 years of living in the dark, and in denial (diagnosed in 2000, at age 10).

I just thought I'd share something I made with you all:

This is a chart I made to help me visualise my results/diabetes activity with more ease.. I started making them the day I decided to take control..

Day 1..
Day123072009-1.jpg

Day 8..
Day830072009.jpg

The chart should be pretty easy to figure out, but if not I'll tell you how to read them.. The times along the bottom is 24-hour, the numbers up the side are my Mmol/l readings. The pink numbers on the graph are amounts of Novo Rapid insulin injected, the brown numbers on the graph are amounts of Lantus insulin injected. The light blue squares are when I've had snacks, the dark blue squares are meals, and the orange squares are when I've taken Lucozade to correct a hypo (smaller squares indicate a small amount of lucozade).

Check out the difference in the results! I know Day 8 wasn't as perfect as it should be, but it's the best control I've ever had. Zero hypos and only a few high results (the highest being 11.3!).

Today's results have been a little more erratic, but I'm glad that I'm finally learning how to figure out insulin doses, etc!

I just wanted to say thanks to everybody, and keep up the bloomin' good work! Hope everybody is doing okay :)

Robyn
xxx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Robyn.

That's a great achievement in just 7 days. Well done. You know, and are seeing the improvements that just a few small changes can make. I'm glad that the people on here helped you in this.

So now you can improve even more with the knowledge and support you are getting here. Stick with us and with what you are doing. You know it makes sense.

Good luck.
Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
tThat's excellent. the differencce is very clear. Keep this stuff for your care team.

Kirsty-Marisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's a fab way of keeping it in check!
It seems you're testing quite a lot though. Sometimes it can be more beneficial to good Diabetic control to check less frequently. Ie. before meals and two hours after injecting, as this is generally the time it takes for fast acting insulin to have worked.
Also, it does no favours to the skin on the finger-prick sites!
Kirsty-Marisa

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Big improvements, very quickly. Well done!
I don't think testing less frequently is ever the answer.

fergus