Early days but....

deedee

so far so good. I started LFHC eating on Tuesday this week on Tuesday my FBG was 10.3, this morning it was 7.1 (I also started 1x 500mg metformin on Thursday). I have also lost 4lbs in weight. I have no had any big issues with the Metformin just a little stomach discomfort but I suspect that will settle as I get used to it.

I am however going out for a meal this evening and as a veggie I suspect low carb choices will be limited wherever we eat. I plan to stay as low carb as possible during the day and try and be as low carb as possible when choosing my meal this evening but it is likely to be considerably more carbs than I have had at any one meal this week. It will be interesting to see if the higher carbs will cause an issue with the metformin.

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the meal out. Is it in a restaurant or at someone's home? If the former I see if there's a menu online, and sometimes phone ahead to ask if they do variations to suit (they usually do). If a private affair I try to find out discreetly what's on the menu. Puddings are usually a complete no-no so I might offer to bring an alternative like cheeses. We have to be diplomatic but resolved, I think.
In the past I have found that deciding to jump off the wagon completely for the evening, especially at Indian and Chinese restaurants, can be a psychological setback (I feel very guilty, which is worse than indigestion).

Reactions: 6 people

deedee

It will be a meal in a restaurant, we haven't made a choice where yet. I was thinking about Indian because it would be easier to miss the rice and bread and stick to veg curry. I find vegetarian meals in restaurants tend to be pasta or pastry based. I am a bit nervous about it but I guess these are things we have to face when learning to live with our condition.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

It will be a meal in a restaurant, we haven't made a choice where yet. I was thinking about Indian because it would be easier to miss the rice and bread and stick to veg curry. I find vegetarian meals in restaurants tend to be pasta or pastry based. I am a bit nervous about it but I guess these are things we have to face when learning to live with our condition.
Indian is a good choice. I made the mistake once of ordering European vegetable korma only to find that the vegetables were potatoes and peas (which are too carby for me). Now I stick to mushroom only kormas or spinach and paneer. Also, Nando's have quite a few low carb vegetarian options on their menu that look delicious. Have fun :)

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Indian works for me too ,I avoid the beads and tend to stick to prawn main dishes.

Good luck and have a good time!

deedee

I had a very delicious tamarind paneer dish which was very good indeed. I also had a chapati and shared a starter of veg pakora which was not ideal on the carb front but was all very good. I did notice a difference with the metformin irritating my stomach so I am glad to be back to LCHF today and I am glad that things like that will very much be a rare occasion.

Reactions: 8 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I had a very delicious tamarind paneer dish which was very good indeed. I also had a chapati and shared a starter of veg pakora which was not ideal on the carb front but was all very good. I did notice a difference with the metformin irritating my stomach so I am glad to be back to LCHF today and I am glad that things like that will very much be a rare occasion.
Sounds yummy! I enjoy a bit of pakora myself. Hope the metformin settles in soon.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Mmmmm.... indian.... mmmm

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump

RESULT! :). Glad it was a good meal.

Buffdaddy123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys could anyone give me a little advice, as a lot of you here ive been doing the low carb route since diagnosis end of june, ive dropped two stone, bloods are good fasting and post meals, but i do miss my takeaways...especially the Indian,

now bear in mind i can go without chips..naan...rice...the lot as i used to just have rice and a Vindaloo Sauce extra hot... so my question is if i went for a tray of Vindaloo Sauce over a salad should i be worried..or does anyone have any positive news on this.

Im a sucker for the hotter the better, from research ive looked into on this apparently a Vindaloo may be a wise choice as its less sugar and not creamy like a Korma.. god my mouths watering now

Reactions: 3 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi mate.

Prawn jalfrezi at madras heat works really well for me, no more than 1 poppadom and half a chapati and all is rosy. ...

Never dared to go to vindaloo tbh but I guess lamb or chicken should be fine.

Avoid rice and be warry about vegetable curries -some of them veggies pack a mean carb punch. .

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys could anyone give me a little advice, as a lot of you here ive been doing the low carb route since diagnosis end of june, ive dropped two stone, bloods are good fasting and post meals, but i do miss my takeaways...especially the Indian,

now bear in mind i can go without chips..naan...rice...the lot as i used to just have rice and a Vindaloo Sauce extra hot... so my question is if i went for a tray of Vindaloo Sauce over a salad should i be worried..or does anyone have any positive news on this.

Im a sucker for the hotter the better, from research ive looked into on this apparently a Vindaloo may be a wise choice as its less sugar and not creamy like a Korma.. god my mouths watering now

My local Ghurka's do a mean staff choice whereby the sauce is to die for, so hot but tasty too. I've been known to take the lamb version (fattiest meat they do) as a takeaway. With a couple of poppadoms. Then at home do the cauliflower rice, stirfried in cardamon spiced coconut oil with toasted flaked almonds and chilli. It takes about 10mins including the grating the cauliflower (or you can buy ready grated in tesco...ahem). A pre-made tomato -onion-salad with a lot of chopped coriander.
A tall gin n slim tonic or 2, with ice n a slice. Great company/conversation or by myself, I don't feel hard done by. ;)

Buffdaddy123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So you think a Vindaloo (if i go for meat will be chicken) should be ok then, wooooo, may have a little treat this weekend, the family normally have Baltis...and i would have a Vindaloo Sauce as stated, but will have chicken to add a bit of protein over a load of salad...or may try the Cauliflower rice for my first time.

Cheers Tim...definitely wont be having rice or any of the veg.. Gravity-Carb....sounds good.

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Just keep to your plan, test before and 2hrs & 3hrs to see what rise you get. If it is higher than you expect then adjust accordingly, but don't beat yourself up.
My 1 experience of doing it was only a +2.4 rise at 2hrs and even less at 3. So I will do it again as a foody treat to participate with the family n friends. Worth it.
Most of all enjoy yourself.
G-C

deedee

I am still new to this and no expert but I think if you have the sauce with meat over cauliflower or salad you may be surprised how little it affects your blood glucose levels. I couldn't check mine after my meal out because I have run out of test strips (rookie mistake I had ordered them but they took longer to arrive than anticipated). I know it was more carb laden than I had been having because coupled with the metformin it gave me a bit of a dodgy stomach which hadn't happened previously, but I did have panoramic which would have been higher in carbs and chapatti. I intentionally chose paneer rather than veg because I know the veg often have lots of potato peas etc which would have increased the carbs further. For me it was a lovely treat and meant that I could still enjoy an evening out. It's not something that I will do often but I would do it again. As others have said test and see how you feel after.