What is the highest blood glucose level ever recorded?

kevin55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Following in my 'highest ever' posts... I also wondered if anyone knew what the highest blood glucose level ever recorded was? I've heard of some pretty scary numbers and was curious! xx
Hi all, my bg level has been as high as (HI) read by my own meter , the hospital got same on their meter in A & E a proper blood test read 56. obviously was admited. That was 10+ yrs ago now but I hav gone a couple of months at a time when the only reading I can get is HI.

bob-b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had such highs when i had just started on insulin
After starting insulin the highest i went was around 320

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
25 mmol/l when they measured it when I got diagnosed & admitted to ICU with DKA. According to the nurses, the highest they've had was 99 mmol/l - un diagnosed diabetic who tried to fix his low energy by drinking lots of Lucozade.

jpflanagan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at 23 years old at around 44...didn't feel massively fantastic at the time :)

Doctor reassured me and said you are half way to a coma....!

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Highest I remember being is five or six years ago when I was still on MDI (I'm on a pump now), got a sickness bug and was advised by a doctor of all people not to do any insulin, not even my long acting. I ended up with a week in hospital unconscious, but I only made it into the 40s, that was horrific enough! I tend to run lower rather than higher which is maybe why it hit me so hard...
And I was only 2 years old when I was diagnosed so don't remember my diagnosis level :p

Lampet77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was 21 at diagnosis. Touch wood I've never been ill in my 15 years that has meant I can't eat/test/inject myself though with colds and things I can sometimes get into the early 20s.

Some of your stories make me feel really lucky. Hope you all recovered.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My highest that I know of was 26 and that was bad enough, it put me in A&E, stuff being in the 100's.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Highest mmol 23.5
lowest mmol 1.6
Didn't know either one until I tested, being unaware is annoying

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Was diagnosed through a Glucose Tolerance Test that my OBGYN had ordered, she was thinking T2 at best basic insulin resistance T1 was not the expected result. No idea what the number was, all I know is I felt fine/normal n they kept asking how I was feeling finally was given insulin to bring me down because I was going higher and higher .

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I know of someone who had a BG in the 70s at diagnosis and spent a couple of days in the ICU. He had been quenching his thirst with cartons of juice while refusing his poor wife's attempts at persuading him to go to hospital. His father had already died from diabetic kidney failure after having both legs amputated. Denial runs very deep in some people.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Was that not a 52 HbA1c result the nurse gave you? This is a test which gives you your blood glucose levels over the past three months. Or was it a reading of 5.2 (and 4.8 ) she was referring to perhaps?

Reactions: 2 people