Carb Counting - Quick Question!

LizzieP

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure it's the net carb amount you want to count rather than the total. The net is usually the amount of carbohydrate minus the fibre which does not actually get digested. I think this is right! I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm or otherwise! :)

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Not silly at all! I find it quite frustrating that food labelling isn't clearer and more consistent. I always used to subtract the fibre content from the carb content (as written on a label) to get the net figure but constantly seemed to be tweaking my insulin dose or correcting later. Now I tend to ignore the fibre and just use the headline carb figure to calculate a bolus. It's made a huge difference. I'm still not sure I'm doing the "right" thing, but it works for me...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Blame the Americans, they list fibre in the total carbs. Chemically, they are correct, but we don't. We list what are effectively the Metabolically Available carbs. so if reading a British food label, or book, you need to think "Total carb" if it's an American reference, subtract the value for fibre.