Does 'IT' Get In The Way?

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
I was only diagnosed T2 twelve weeks ago - I wasn't surprised as my Mum had late onset diabetes so I wasn't bitter - didn't see the point in getting upset although I can understand people for whom the diagnosis comes as a shock. I like to think of myself as the sort of person who sees the 'glass half full' instead of empty so to me my diagnosis was a challenge - to get my numbers down, to lose weight and to get fit.

The only thing I have given up, like others, is the carbs and I don't miss them at all which really surprised me and like others I have lost all my cravings, even for chocolate! I have lost 2 stone since diagnosis and am now working on getting more active - I just need to lose another half stone to be able to get into my swimming costume - so hope to be at the pool soon! I feel a lot better than I did three months ago.

As chocoholic said live is for living - so got do it!

Rita

salsasue

Hi Gavin!

Though I haven't been a diabetic (type 2) for long, diagnosed May this year, I would reflect on Ken's words;

I have never eaten healthier, felt fitter, full of life and energy.

lost 2 and a half stone, a pretty drastic lifestyle change but is doing me lots good and no way do I feel that I have to give anything up for it, think it's all in the power of how you think and view the situation, with positivity or negativity? Just getting on with and enjoying life I guess.

Robanny

Hey there,
I was diagnosed at age 10 in 2000. I became depressed about a year later - sick of how diabetes had ruined my life (along with some other factors in my life which depressed me, which I won't go into here - but diabetes was a main factor in my depression). I was depressed until earlier this year when a cloud suddenly lifted when somebody entered my life who helped me see the light.

One of the things that really depressed me about my diabetes at the start was other people's treatment of it - in particular, my parents. I was forbidden sweets, bugged every five minutes about my blood sugars and insulin, and I hated losing the independance and trust my parents used to give me just because of my diabetes. Of course now I realise they were just worried about me, trying to make sure I was looking after myself, etc - which I wasn't. Last week I suddenly had an epiphany and decided that I needed to learn how to look after myself and learn exactly how to take care of my diabetes. It's taken me 9 years to come to this conclusion, but when I wanted to ignore it there was no way of getting through to me.

Now I'm 19 I can see things a lot clearer! My diabetes doesn't have to get in the way of my life. I never allowed it to, but that was simply because I ignored it. Now that I've started looking after myself, it's still tough as I'm still learning, but I'm finding it a lot easier to live my life happily. So that's my story! Hope it helped/was what you were looking for!

Take care :)
Robyn
x

OneDiabetic

Robyn, Your own personal story sounds very similar to mine, i to have only recently come to terms with my diabetes after 7 years, and now ive realised its time to make a few changes. You might be interested in keeping up with my blog, as there should be some personal sories and information on there to help you out.

Many thanks

Gavin

mikethebike

This sounds very similar to how I was ...a long time ago.
Was diagnosed aged 5 back in 1967.
I probably didnt accept my condition until my early twenties and must have really damaged nyself long term in my teenage years.

I guess I sometimes hid behind the diabetes as a reason for not doing something or possbly used it as an excuse.

However I have been married over 25 years to my fantastic wife & have 3 great sons.
I have been lucky to have had interesting jobs in some very good companies.

I also realised at work recently in my 'office there about 20 of us ages ranging form 20 to 64 and I appear to be the fittest and possbly one of the healthiest there!
Being Type 1 and it gives me the added motivation to look after myself.
That has given me a pretty good feeling in itself. :D

Take care everyone

Rushy

I think for me 'IT' wasn't the issue but more knowing that I had 'IT' was a blessing! I certainly regard myself as one of the lucky ones now because I know what the issues are and what to do. No reason to give anything up or change my lifestyle beyond what was done initially to make the adjustment. I gave up rugby some years ago because I had managed to damage the tissue of my eardrum through clashing heads in the scrum causing problems with my hearing. 'IT' hasn't given me anything as serious to worry about thus far. :D

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Heres inspiration for those newly diagnosed who are not totally convinced. I have an Aunt who was diagnose T1 about 39yrs ago. She plays volley ball every Wed night, cleans her own windows inside and out, hops on a bus into town to do her own shopping and carries it home.
She is 74yrs of age, and probably fitter and healthier than a non- diabetic half her age.
Suzi x

OneDiabetic

That is an inspiration, i just hope i can be like that when im that age, i hope the 5 or so years i had out in the wilderness without totally controlling my sugars has not caused to much irreversable damage! Hoping to start a family soon(ish) so need to be in tip top shape!

ChocFish

So you have spent a few years ignoring your diabetes, but you sound very fit and healthy right now so no damage has been done?
I was not quite so lucky at first, also rebelled and in denial I caused myself some serious damage quite quickly, but I was extremely lucky in that I was able to reverse the damage and I am now very fit and healthy.

You are now addressing your diabetes and doing your best to stay healthy and avoid complications, more you cannot do.

I am type 2, but my aunt was diagnosed type 1 when she was 17, she is now in her 80s she is an inspiration to everyone, she is still very active and alert, cycling and swimming every day and doing voluntary work at her local library and old people's home.

So there is plenty of hope out there.

All the best
Karen

WhimsicalWays

I was diagnosed at 12 years old and, happily, was never bitter about it. Luckily, I looked around and saw others dealing with far worse diseases/life situations, so I kept things in perspective.

Type 1 did somewhat alter my physical activity. When i was diagnosed I was playing basketball and then would change clothes (in the car) on the way to my dance classes (I was very active, and loved it!). I was a competitive dancer - danced about 5 times a week - and struggled with severe night-time hypos following my classes. I tried everything to prevent it, and while I got it somewhat under control, I admit that dance was never as care-free again (further, i quit baskeball b/c I found juggling both practices too taxing). I found this a bit frustrating at the time - I felt it was harder to go to all the classes and dance 'full out,' and compete in all-day competitions, b/c I had to worry about hypos. Though, I remind you, I wasn't bitter, just a bit frustrated/disappointed.

Ultimately, a knee injury prevented me from continuing with dance in the same way. But, now that I am older (27 years), I am slowly getting back into dance for recreational purposes (at local community centres). This is a more casual environment and, b/c I'm not dancing really crazy hours, I find that hypos aren't as big of a problem. This stuff still runs through my veins, so I am very happy to be returning to it.

bgowler

I know I shouldn't really be posting on this website as I haven't been diagnosed officially, but I just wanted to say I am really impressed at how you all cope with being diabetic!

I only know 1 diabetic person in my community and they have such a different attitude towards everything! I really would have liked to show them this forum as I think it would have really helped them! (unfortunately the person in question cannot and will not use a computer unless they have to!)

hypothetically speaking now (and you can all tell me to shut up if you want) - if I did turn out to be diabetic it would literally ruin my career :(

I'm being sponsered by the Army at the moment through sixth form and university, with a guaranteed place in the army as an officer once i've finished my degree. Needless to say, any hint of diabetes or anything else wrong with me I would be kicked out quicker than I can blink.
I'll stop being paranoid now and just wait it out for the test results I think!

Just want to say again how impressed I am of all of you!

Becca

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm being sponsered by the Army at the moment through sixth form and university, with a guaranteed place in the army as an officer once i've finished my degree. Needless to say, any hint of diabetes or anything else wrong with me I would be kicked out quicker than I can blink.
I'll stop being paranoid now and just wait it out for the test results I think!
I hope that your tests are negative because as you say it will probably mean an end to an army career. There is another young man on another forum (check out the forum sponsored by Diabetes UK the charity) who is actively fighting to change things and seems to have some support from Diabetes UK and his MP. Otherwise diabetes should not stop you from doing almost anything else in life . Good luck.