Type 2s: What have you eaten today?

ray2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday: after 5 years of diet only control the nurse decided we needed to run up the white flag and go for Metformin after HbA1c went up to 52 and symptoms suddenly getting worse AND she could not fault my lifestyle..
Went home...
I had sardines on low carb toast for lunch.
Quorn stir fry for evening meal
Blood sugars up above 10 most of the day so in the evening, feeling fed up with it all, I had a couple of pints. Bedtime test went down to 9.4 !!!

On the bright side I now get testing strips etc on repeat prescription............. so not all bad.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government Leaders who feel they are the owner of ME.
Yesterday: after 5 years of diet only control the nurse decided we needed to run up the white flag and go for Metformin after HbA1c went up to 52 and symptoms suddenly getting worse AND she could not fault my lifestyle..
Went home...
I had sardines on low carb toast for lunch.
Quorn stir fry for evening meal
Blood sugars up above 10 most of the day so in the evening, feeling fed up with it all, I had a couple of pints. Bedtime test went down to 9.4 !!!

On the bright side I now get testing strips etc on repeat prescription............. so not all bad.

Hi remember that Quorn is in fact a processed food, and from what i have read "All" processed foods contain lots of sugar and salt.

Jim

AllyH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bad manners, cottage cheese lol
I had a bad and egg sandwich with 2 slices of burgen sunflower and chia seed bread. Sugars were 5.7 before will see what they're like soon!

AllyH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bad manners, cottage cheese lol
Well won't be having that again the bread sent my sugars to 12.7 and I now have a headache and sweating. Never again now that I know the bread definitely doesn't agree with me

Reactions: 2 people

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
GM 2scrambled eggs with a couple of fried mushrooms

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
GM 2scrambled eggs with a couple of fried mushrooms

Barry i love eggs, Could you let us know what your meter reading is in 2-3 hours please.
Thanks

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi remember that Quorn is in fact a processed food, and from what i have read "All" processed foods contain lots of sugar and salt.

Jim
The type of Quorn used in a stir fry is 1g of carb per 100g and does not contain any added sugar.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The type of Quorn used in a stir fry is 1g of carb per 100g and does not contain any added sugar.

Can you please tell me what Quorn was used in the meal mentioned.
Thanks

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would be concerned with the "Natural flavourings" in this product, many preservatives, maybe up to 100 even, two of which is what i mentioned, salt and sugar, both of which are natural flavourings, quorn is a highly processed unnatural food, and there are thousands that have an intolerance to this man mad meat substitute.
They seem to hide lots of "Ingredience" under the guize of "Natural flavouring". hundreds of Chemicals can be produced to mimic so called natural flavourings.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@jimmyr Quorn is not a compulsory food. If you don't approve of it, eat something else.

What concerns me is you saying that all processed foods contain lots of sugar and salt. This is just not true and could be confusing to new members.

Jim

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@jimmyr Quorn is not a compulsory food. If you don't approve of it, eat something else.

What concerns me is you saying that all processed foods contain lots of sugar and salt. This is just not true and could be confusing to new members.

I must admit to not being very clear, Let me try harder lol, i know my initial comment was to do with Quorn, and it is important to know what the Natural flavourins are made up of, and they will include salt and sugar as preservatives, if not so would it not say so on the packet.
I would stay away from tinned proccesed foods again, as live foods will be free from added sugar and salt, very rarely do you find the statement "No added salt or sugars" on tins, which means that these items are added, again as preservatives, and to enhance flavour.

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tin of sardines on one slice of buttered white bread toast.BG 6.1

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hope the raw plant way of eating works out for you :)

I am not a vegetarian, you seem to have a problem with people knowing the dangers of processed foods, i am talking of non processed foods being better for us, how can that confuse anyone, anyone that does the research will find more bad than good written about them where we are concerned, thats all, why would you be adverse to that lol, it is fact that more processed foods are detrimentle than good for people in our position of health so what is there not to like when it comes to advising others of these foods.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am not a vegetarian, you seem to have a problem with people knowing the dangers of processed foods, i am talking of non processed foods being better for us, how can that confuse anyone, anyone that does the research will find more bad than good written about them where we are concerned, thats all, why would you be adverse to that lol, it is fact that more processed foods are detrimentle than good for people in our position of health so what is there not to like when it comes to advising others of these foods.
Thanks, but I am not confused. Again, I simply said that it is wrong for you to state that ALL processed foods contain lots of salt and sugar. Processed food is any food that has been processed from its natural state. Today I have consumed unsalted butter, almond flour and garlic powder. These are all processed foods.

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
Dinner last night was great,rib eye steak cauliflower and broccoli (NO CHIPS) followed by strawberries and cream and later in the evening 2 glasses of Rioja and some pork scratching so,BGbefore bed 5.6

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks, but I am not confused. Again, I simply said that it is wrong for you to state that ALL processed foods contain lots of salt and sugar. Processed food is any food that has been processed from its natural state. Today I have consumed unsalted butter, almond flour and garlic powder. These are all processed foods.

I will shorten my reply to this "The easiest way for a Diebetic to eat healthy is to stick with foods that need no Label" you never see an ingredience list on fresh meat or vegetables, well i havent anyway.

Reactions: 4 people

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a home made Breakfast Pot this morning, then cottage cheese with onion and chives with a slice of roast beef.
Tonight I'm having Lasagne made with Quorn, veg, tomatoes and wholemeal pasta.
Have drunk cold water all day.

Wish a had a monitor to test my BG.