Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Who knows what would happen if the button was pressed..!?

Oh god, how that made me cry with laughter!!!

Anyone remember "Threads"? ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_s8CrRN76M ) or "When the wind blows" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Wind_Blows_%281986_film%29 )
When I was 13, we had to go through the '3 minute warning' routine at school (Devonport Naval Dockyard was presumed a major target for a 20MT USSR ICBM!)... all my classmates would talk about finding somewhere to hide, etc. When the question turned to me, I said (paraphrased):

'Well I'd head for the city centre or the highest spot likely to get the full force of the blast so that I could be incinerated. There's no way I'd want to live through a nuclear winter, and even if there was some chance of survival, where would I get my next shot of insulin from? I'd die a pretty horrible death within six weeks, so I'd prefer to go out with the white light.'

The subject would usually move on rather swiftly. :facepalm:

Jane10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glass syringe's that you keep in surgical sprit and the very blunt metal needles and then a huge dose of animal insulin:( every injection would leave you with a big red lump, that stung for hours! Ha glad those days are behind us!

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glass syringe's that you keep in surgical sprit and the very blunt metal needles and then a huge dose of animal insulin:( every injection would leave you with a big red lump, that stung for hours! Ha glad those days are behind us!

Hi, yes indeed.

Were you given a "butchers choice cut" style diagram of the human legs, with the days of the week "marked out" on the thighs like property deeds...? :D

Jane10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lol just remember it used to take ages to do a injection because the needles were so blunt and thick, they used to bounce off my leg, when I was trying to inject! :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Piddly record books for my bs readings, always too small, and covered by aged brown blood stains. Actually, I still keep a paper record (my own home-designed A4 sheet) (and it's still bloody) as well as the data on my Accu-chek meter, AND the data on MySugr. Overkill? Yes.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Piddly record books for my bs readings, always too small, and covered by aged brown blood stains. Actually, I still keep a paper record (my own home-designed A4 sheet) (and it's still bloody) as well as the data on my Accu-chek meter, AND the data on MySugr. Overkill? Yes.
The piddly record books were much better than the silly bits of paper we'd to record Clinitest results on!

Reactions: 7 people

Jane10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank God they just download all my results from my pump, I'm very disorganised:/! Do have to remember to empty all my used strips, from my hand set case before I go to see pump nurse though! I've got a continues blood sugar meter, for the next 2 weeks, apart from the fact it bleeps loads, it's lovely just looking at the screen and seeing my blood sugar! :)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lol just remember it used to take ages to do a injection because the needles were so blunt and thick, they used to bounce off my leg, when I was trying to inject! :)
Having been sent home with needles twice the length they should have been, I used to watch them bend as I tried to push them into my thigh. I shed many tears until I got the correct size!:(

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Oh yes. I do remember "pinching up", feeling the skin resist the blunt needle. Then the sudden yielding as the rest if the length ground its way in..

I actually got a tatto on my thigh. After the session. I was told by the tattooist I "sat well". I thought the "shading in" on the design was nothing compared to the brutality of early devices... ;)

Reactions: 2 people

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
worst_lancet_device.jpg

Still brings back bad memories, who on earth though of making that device:rolleyes:
I had one of those, and I remember buying my first meter, it was a brick!! Also really expensive I paid £30 in the mid 80's for this.
xreflolux-s.mth13365_200_200.jpg.pagespeed.ic.DoU5nyg0rB.jpg

Jane10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ha! But how much, did it change your life? Used to have to buy the strips as well and disposable insulin syringes and even the Novo needles, when the pens first came out! Must of be classed a luxury not to have used a blunt nation health needle, back then! Lol

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah before the meters we needed to wipe off the strips of blood after the 60 seconds and then wait another 90 seconds . It seemed to take forever :)

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had one of those, and I remember buying my first meter, it was a brick!! Also really expensive I paid £30 in the mid 80's for this.
xreflolux-s.mth13365_200_200.jpg.pagespeed.ic.DoU5nyg0rB.jpg
I still have this meter!! I kept it all these years for nostalgia! I'm sure even then it cost more than £30, my mum saved for months to get me one!!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah before the meters we needed to wipe off the strips of blood after the 60 seconds and then wait another 90 seconds . It seemed to take forever :)
The hospital gave me one of these meters when I was pregnant and I had to borrow an old pocket watch to time the tests. My own watch didn't have a second hand. We had to rinse off the blood with water before putting the strip in the meter.

Reactions: 2 people

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yes indeed.

Were you given a "butchers choice cut" style diagram of the human legs, with the days of the week "marked out" on the thighs like property deeds...? :D
You know I had completely forgotten about that diagram! All painfully coming back to me!