Pump.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
These have all been really helpful thank you. Did any of you find it hard from doing 5 injections a day to only 1 ever 3 days?

I sometimes used to forget to take my long acting insulin and wasn't keen on doing injections in public due to bad experiences and so just doing set changes every 3 days is bliss. It was kind of weird to begin with but you get used to it and for me it was amazing not having to remember to do injections! :)

Reactions: 4 people

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only possible bad point was that, on MDI, I would think twice about eating between meals as it meant ANOTHER injection, but on the pump I only had to press buttons. It was fine at first but now I have to watch my weight:rolleyes:

I am in a similar situation, just considering the idea of going on a pump, and dancer, that is exactly what I have been thinking!! I'm hoping the novelty will wear off if I get one and my waistline won't suffer too much though!

SarahB97 - I have been given a pump by my nurse to just wear for a week and see if I got on with it. The things I was worried about were sleeping with it, and where to wear it. Sleeping was easy because the one I had just clipped to a bit of elasticated bandage that I put above my knee. It came off a couple of times when I was sleeping but I didn't notice until I woke up. It was also pretty easy to clip to clothing/put in a mp3 armband.

I also had the canula in as well, I've only tried two of these, neither were a problem for me to "wear" all the time, inserting them was 50/50 but I'm meeting the nurse tomorrow to discuss options.

I can't speak for the day to day use of a pump, but as someone who has had diabetes for 29 years and is having trouble waking up with anything below double digits I am willing to give it a go.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've heard the opposite to the above replies.
1. Having to remove the pump when showering or swimming
2. Cleaning the pump is a pain
3. Sometimes the pump pipes twist and stops working
4. Sexual intercourse is a problem for the partner (Gets in the way)

There are other negative things I've read about the pump, and I have been offered it also by the doctor...I have absolutely refused it.....Not for me!!....Maybe it's for you?

Cleaning the pump?? Never did this, ever in 5 years???

Sexual intercourse for partner??? It doesn't get in way... But they may be aware of it... But my hubby never said anything for 5 years as it was just strapped on my arm!! If it is that much of a problem, you can actually remove it for an hour!!

The pump tubes don't twist... The cannulas can fail for various reasons... But that isn't normally an everyday occurence..

So what for having to remove it.. Yes, it's nice on MDI just jumping in... But if you want improved health for a long time... Then its worth doing it...

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It would feel like a colostomy bag

No it does not feel like a colostomy bag at all..

Where on earth have you got all this negativity from??

Have you actually seen or tried a pump?

Boy, they are seriously nothing like a colostomy bag!!

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
MDI is different and in a way less commitment.

I lived my pump for 5 years but am now enjoying a time back on MDI.

The pump needs commitment and nothing with diabetes is easy....

I only came off mine because I'm too lean and muscley with no fat and this was causing problems with the cannulas.

Reactions: 2 people

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I'm sorry @donellysdogs, didn't mean to offend, and probably wrong to view an opinion on something I know nothing about......But nobody has shown me this pump, never seen how it's attached to the body (Needle..... I know now, but how big is this needle, and how does this needle stay in the body???), And I didn't even know how the insulin gets distributed (Regulating the machine I've read).....I have learnt a little more on here, and via other websites; however, i'm still not convinced it's for me....... Not yet!
My doctor has asked if I want one, but no photos, or explanation what so ever.....So I told her to have a funny run.....

Hope we're still web friends xx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm sorry @donellysdogs, didn't mean to offend, and probably wrong to view an opinion on something I know nothing about......But nobody has shown me this pump, never seen how it's attached to the body (Needle..... I know now, but how big is this needle, and how does this needle stay in the body???), And I didn't even know how the insulin gets distributed (Regulating the machine I've read).....I have learnt a little more on here, and via other websites; however, i'm still not convinced it's for me....... Not yet!
My doctor has asked if I want one, but no photos, or explanation what so ever.....So I told her to have a funny run.....

Still friends!!! No offence taken...

If you have the chance ever of getting a pump -ask to see one.. Ask to attend a pump clinic with a nice patient that could give you the low down on how it works.

There are 3 basic needles (sets) that are attached basicaly to a bit of sticky stuff. They stay in skin for 2-3 days. I think the worst thing for males has to be hair-and think that may be best shaved depending where the sets are placed!!

The tubes are not able to kink easily as they are so bendy an pliable.

Pumps are very small really...light and small enough to wear on arms.

The most important thing though is the time and responsibilty from the patient to manage their levels and to have the confidence and ability to understand how it works. Ie instead of injecting one or two basal injections a day the patient has to programme the pump to deluver the correct amount of quick acting insulin on an hourly basis as the insulin is basically drip fed inevery 3 minutes.

Because the patient only has quick acting insulin in the pump that lasts 5 hours if something goes wrong during the night for example you can easily wake up to very high levels. But instances of failures during the night should be minimal.

It is a fantastic bit of equipment... That enables patients to gain great control over their diabetes. However, the patient must be committed to time and responsibilty to manage the pump. You have to be organised more than MDI.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I felt like this when I first heard about pumps. I was extremely averse to the idea, but when I eventually got one I was thrilled about how easy it is to wear and manage, and how much it improved my control.

Reactions: 3 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had a pump for 18 years . Type 1 for 37 years . My pump is part of me now. I can't imagine not having it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Majority of type 1 life 32 years on MDI. 5 years on Pump. Due to being lean n musculer have returned to MDI. Quite relieved. Don't miss pump at all and will not be going back to it. I lived my pump for best part of 5 years. The last 5 months of pump I felt it was more hassle than it was worth. Locing being without it now. I know for sure now that I will not go back to a pump. I am loving my freedom without it. Vast majority of time my levels are pretty good.don't know what I did this morn.. Think I just messed up my injections..when I checked my jabs (which I haven't had to do but for sone reason I did this morning I showed 3 units dosage on the wrong pen!!). Not the end of the world.. Could have an unexpected treat of an icecream!!

However.. I cannot see me going back to a pump again.

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@donnellysdogs I too am slim and lean but I'm keen to explore the option of a pump. Can I ask where you would put your pump when you had it and how did that all work with clothing etc?

How do other males deal with this? It might sound stupid, but I'm a slim guy and I wear slim fitting clothes.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@donnellysdogs I too am slim and lean but I'm keen to explore the option of a pump. Can I ask where you would put your pump when you had it and how did that all work with clothing etc?

How do other males deal with this? It might sound stupid, but I'm a slim guy and I wear slim fitting clothes.

They make belt holders just like for phones that work really well . They also can be placed in your pant pocket . I also have a special one made for wearing on my scarves . if for example I put it on my scarf and want to bolus I can use the remote and not fuss with it. They also have Velcro pocket attachments to hide it in other places as well . Lots of options
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1439151298.324503.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1439151309.697440.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They make belt holders just like for phones that work really well . They also can be placed in your pant pocket .
So I would have to have the tube poking through clothing and the pump sitting on my belt for all to see?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

I wore the pump on my arm. I originally used two layers of tubigrip which gripped it lovely. Then I changed it to cut off knee high socks which was great because I could colour match them to my vest tshirts or outfits.

To do this you need a remote control like the accuchek has so you don't have to take it off at all.

All my long sleeves fitted over it and my jumpers and jackets and coats.

Never had to worry about it roaming loos in bed.
Never had to worry about it going to loo.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@noblehead how was it going from MDI to having a pump constantly attached?

The transition went great, a lot better than I though it would tbh.

I'm using a patch-pump (Omnipod) so apart from the Pod being stuck to my skin I don't have to deal with any tubing, the Pods are quite small and weigh next to nothing so its no problem having it attached all the time, far better than injections put it that way.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I would have to have the tube poking through clothing and the pump sitting on my belt for all to see?

No the tube would not stick out because it would be in your pant area . It is funny because after so long with it I pay no attention to tubing and the look of it ( maybe I should more ) but the tube is so small and almost transparent it is also so flexible that I never had a real issue with it. I do know it isn't for everyone . I guess when I was getting the pump these things I was willing to overlook. I know for some it would be a deal breaker .