Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi,

This is slightly off topic, but I'm a Type 1 diabetic with a 5 month old son, it appears that on the continent many babies are automatically given vitamin supplements pretty much from birth but here in the UK things seem slightly confused on this; what are people's views on vitamin supplements and vitamin D supplements in particular for a child of that age? Especially with the no show for summer we have this year.

I'm thinking of getting some sort of syrup (sugar free of course) based supplement to give the young fellow; madness and folly or sense?

He is being exclusively breast fed by the way.

Thanks

Dillinger

ChocFish

Hi, have you asked a paediatrician about this or the La Leche League?

I know that in Austria and Germany paediatricians prescribe vitamin K and D drops for babies that are fed on breastmilk alone, but not if this is supplemented with formula.

All the best to you and your family

Karen

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As Coccy said, a formula fed baby wouldn't need this, but a breastfed one might. Ask your Health Visitor, if she's good.. The one I had 30 years ago, was pretty enlightened.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure vitamin d drops used to be given to all under fives in the UK.(my children got them at the 'baby' clinic I can't remember if I had to buy them)
There is now a scheme with vitamin drops (A, C and D)available to those on benefits , Nice has recommended that the drops be made available to other children at a fixed low cost.(Children's Centres and health clinics ) so its worth checking what if your PCT is doing this
see:http://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/en/fe/page.asp?n1=1&n2=8&n3=97

ChocFish

Dillinger, my daughter-in-law, currently breastfeeding my grandson (8 weeks old, oh gosh I love him soooooooooooo much) sent me this link http://www.llli.org/NB/NBvitamins.html - I hope that this is of some use.

And you should not apologise asking such questions, you are diabetic and if we diabetics have any worries we should deal with them or else our bg goes haywire.

All the best

Karen

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Thanks for all the answers!

All the best

Dillinger