Need support...

Simon1970

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi there,

I'm very new at this and haven't even been diagnosed as yet - officially with any kind of diabetes. I'm feeling pretty low at the moment and unable to turn to anyone and talk about my situation. I'm looking for some reassurance really, don't know how my partner will take the news. Any support would be very welcome. Thanks, Simon

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Simon

I'm skiving at work so can't stick around, but the gang will be along soon to chat :)

Reactions: 2 people

deedee

There is lots of support on this forum, I am still relatively new myself. I am assuming that you think a diagnosis is likely? When you know what it is you are dealing with there is lots and lots of support about the best way to manage it. Someone will be along and post some information which is really useful in getting to grips with things. In the mean time are there any particular questions or worries?

Simon1970

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi dee dee, thank you. Not sure really, just felt quite alone with it all. Haven't slept particularly well these last couple of nights. I guess I'm in shock!!!

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Simon, have you been to the doctors already? Any tests done?

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People here is very helpful and supportive, but it is important that you seek professional help if you are feeling bad right this second. Don't be scared and keep posting.

Reactions: 3 people

Simon1970

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Nope, just signed with a new Dr and have to call at 8am for a same day appointment

therealssj

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2 diabetes would be an issue at first if you don't know much about it, however I advise you to read up on diabetes in general including where the issue is coming from, how to treat it, hypos, hypers etc.

Then read up on what you should and shouldn't do when it comes to nutrition & fitness.

Finally I think some success stories will help you out a lot Simon, many diabetics live normally barely requiring medication. If you look at diabetes positively it can be a gateway for you to leading a healthy positive life, otherwise it will be the other way round. I encourage you to take all preventive measure since you aren't diagnosed yet, read up on "Preventing Type 2 diabetes".

Simon1970

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
People here is very helpful and supportive, but it is important that you seek professional help if you are feeling bad right this second. Don't be scared and keep posting.
Will do, soon as I can see a doc. Thanks

Simon1970

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Type 2 diabetes would be an issue at first if you don't know much about it, however I advise you to read up on diabetes in general including where the issue is coming from, how to treat it, hypos, hypers etc.

Then read up on what you should and shouldn't do when it comes to nutrition & fitness.

Finally I think some success stories will help you out a lot Simon, many diabetics live normally barely requiring medication. If you look at diabetes positively it can be a gateway for you to leading a healthy positive life, otherwise it will be the other way round. I encourage you to take all preventive measure since you aren't diagnosed yet, read up on "Preventing Type 2 diabetes".
Thanks. There seems to be so much out there, conflicting and otherwise. I just want to get on top of it as soon as possible and get on with my life. Thanks for your support

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Simon. I was diagnosed in April and was pretty terrified, angry, shocked and anxious too to begin with. I think it's how most of us react when diagnosed, or like you when we realise we have diabetes. I didn't really tell anyone to begin with, and some people still don't know, but I told my husband straight away and he was a big support emotionally. Sounds like you could do with some real life support, maybe think about telling your partner

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are feeling bad keep yourself hydrated, drink plenty of water, and try to seek help as soon as possible. But don't stress yourself out, keep calm.

deedee

Have you been diagnosed? If so is it type 1 or 2? Perhaps if we know a little more we can offer some support and reassurance.

I was diagnosed type 2 about 1 year ago, I started off well then live got super busy and stressful and it took a back seat. More recently I have taken control again and started eating a Low carbohydrate high Fat diet, lots of people with type 2 find that this both stabilises blood sugars and helps people to loose weight. I think initially I was both scared of the diabetes and what that may mean for the future and scared that people would assume that I brought it on myself because I was, still am, a little overweight. The truth is that I have a thyroid condition that increases insulin resistance and therefore this being untreated for a long time was probably a catalyst for the diabetes and the excess weight. The support of the board is amazing and reading about what works for people living with the condition and hearing their success stories is very empowering.

For me it has meant lots of changes, my eating habits and self testing regularly in order to understand what affect different things have on my blood glucose but it is all manageable with good support and lots of reading in order that you understand what you are dealing with.

Simon1970

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
If you are feeling bad keep yourself hydrated, drink plenty of water, and try to seek help as soon as possible. But don't stress yourself out, keep calm.
Will do. Thanks v much. In regards to the water intake, once the diabetes stabilises will the late night toilet visits stop?

deedee

Sorry I think my reply crossed with your posts. You have done the right thing by going to the GP they should be able to diagnose or rule it out relatively easily.