Breakfast - help!

nannoo

I am having a real problem finding something for breakfast that won't send my carbs skyward, and that is palatable. I've finally got my fasting BS under control, but then by 10 a.m. they have doubled. I really find it hard to eat protein at 7 a.m. but what alternative is there? I have tried low carb cereals, low carb crispbreads, smoothies ... Can anyone suggest anything (but no eggs, bacon, cream cheese etc!!!!)

sandiegirl

Hi, I have also struggled with breakfasts whilst low-carbing but have now managed to settle down into a routine. My favourite at the moment is a tablespoon of greek yoghurt - either 'Total' brand sold in the major supermarkets or Lidls one as these have the lowest amount of carbs, with this I have approximately 50g of Raspberries. Its great as its quick and easy and once you mash the raspberries up it takes lovely. If I am particularly hungry, I may also add a few walnuts on top.
At weekends, its the same or a slice of ham and knob of cheese.
What I have found with lo-carbing is that I go through phases of eating one particular food for weeks, then go off it and go onto something else. Before the greek yoghurt it was creme fraiche and raspberries.
Anyway, hope thats a bit of a help - it must be doing me good as I have just reached the 3 stone loss marker and my BS are rarely above 5.5 at the moment.
Take care,
Sandie

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm always surprised when people say they don't eat/like eggs. Eggs really are a super-food, and for diabetics they are especially healthy. (Eggs can be digested without the need for insulin release).

Breakfast really is the toughest meal when lo-carbing. (Although I never have eaten breakfast - wether I was lo-carbing or not...) It's because we are all so used to seeing breakfast a s a high carb meal. It's just that people are used to having a nice stodgy meal first thing in the morning (Toast/cereal/porridge/etc, etc...)

Yoghurt and berries is a great suggestion. Chopped nuts on top sounds bl00dy lovely,too...

Breakfast on the go is easy - just grab a couple of slices of ham out of the fridge and your off! :wink:

nannoo

Thanks Patch - it's not that I don't like eggs, I love them BUT not at 7.00 in the morning!! And I find to eat them at other times without a slice of bread or toast - an egg on its own? Ugh! Ditto with the ham - not early in the morning, I just can't get it down.

nannoo

Hi Sandie - I sent a reply to you, but for some reason it didn't post. I will try your yogourt and raspberry breakfast - not too keen on having it every day, I'm afraid I like a bit of variety, but will see. Thank you.

MrsPugwash

I usually tell my patients to eat whatever they fancy for breakfast. There's no law that says you have to have traditional breakfast type things. If there's something you enjoy eating then have it for breakfast even if it's unusual! It's better to have a balanced low carb 'breakfast' that doesn't conform to the norm than not eat breakfast at all because you don't fancy any of the usual breakfast items. I often have a lovely middle eastern dish consisting of green beans cooked with tomato, garlic, coriander and cumin - tastes even better the morning after the night it was cooked!

ChocFish

Nannoo, smoothies would be a good option for breakfast and also remember that you can swap meals around, I sometimes have leftovers from the previous day for breakfast or soup or whatever, I know a low carber who is so hungry first thing in the morning that she is eating a roast with gravy and veggies, and why not? You can be flexible with meals.

I remember way back, when I was still taking oral meds but already on low carb meals that if I missed breakfast my bg would be high by lunch time, I couldnt work that one out at all, eg I would be something 7 on waking, take all my meds, that was Metformin and Gliclazide at the time, and then not eat or drink anything other than water, I tested around 10 at lunch time...must have been liver dump or something. I tried this out a few times and it was the same, but it didnt happen when I took my meds and had something to eat.

I hope you get this sorted out.

Karen

nannoo

OMG!!!!!!!!!! The very thought of eating leftovers, or coriander, or a roast for breakfast makes me feel ill even thinking about it now in the afternoon!!!!! Really, I can manage cereal, or toast, first thing, but as I said in my original post, the thought of any protein ... I know I couldn't face it. That's why I have a dilemma with breakfast, and that's why I was asking for help.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I know exactly how you feel - I hate breakfast.. (Except on a weekend, when it's more like brunch anyway!) :wink:

nannoo

Ah, Patch, now you're talking! Weekend breakfast I can eat eggs, bacon, tomatoes ... but I've been up a couple of hours by then, and as you say, it's brunch. But at 7 a.m. on a weekday it's a different story ...

nannoo

Come on chaps --- I need ideas for kidding my taste buds that they are eating carbs for breakfast!!!

ChocFish

Well get hold of some low carb bread then, toasted and with butter and give in to your craving? Sometimes just nothing else will do, and this is probably one of those situations then, huh> :)

Karen

nannoo

Hi Karen - I would love that, but I live in Switzerland, and stuff like low carb bread is just not available.

Spiral

I have recently discovered tofu and soya milk based smoothies.

Since I drastically lowered the carbs I have found that I'm not hungry when I wake up and sometimes can't face food first thing.

There are several protien shakes/smoothies in Rose Elliot's vegetarian low carb cook books. I have tried several and the best ones are in her second book.

I have become very fond of this one - the coffee frapuccino, and have adapted it slightly by adding a bit more tofu to make it thicker, althugh the recipe below is as i remember it in the book, I add more tofu

55g tofu
150ml soya millk
2 tablespoons either soya cream or dairy cream
1 scoop of soya or whey protien isolate powder (about 20g protien, different brands etc)
1 teaspoon (or to taste) decent quality instant coffee
sweetener of your choice to taste

whizz this all up together until smooth and creamy. Drink it.

Rose Elliot says drink it immediately, but I have found that making it before going to bed and simply stirring it before drinking is also quite acceptable. However, if you do this the froth may have solidified :shock: but this isn't unpleasant!

Also differnt kinds of tofu have differnt protien and carb content. My favorite tofu to use is fresh Japanese silken tofu, it blends down very smooth, although it is slightly higher in carbs and lower in protein than Cauldron tofu. You should shop around until you find one you like.

I have also adapted this basic shake with berries of various kinds

jan123

I have been eating porridge made with semi-skimmed milk for a few weeks now, my BS always goes high from around 8 to maybe even 12 or 14 2 hrs after. Today, I swapped the semi-skimmed for soya, I was 7.8 before breakfast and a lovely 8.7 after!! I really feel that I am beginning to get somewhere :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hate to dissolusion you Jan - you would have been better off keeping the semi-skimmed milk and ditching the Porridge !! Try that one morning and then check your Bg levels, there should be a much bigger difference.

Your morning numbers are still too high, but any improvement has to be good ?

Ken.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Personally, I would drink the milk.

Then I would look for a lower carbohydrate breakfast. I have eggs, bacon, cheese, apple, cold meats, berries, some yoghurts, there are a multitude of things out there. You just need to find something YOU like and make sure they are not high carbs. The high carbs will just elevate your Bg levels.

Just when do you actually test ?

Ken.