No blood glucose monitor

Jaggered

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I was diagnosed around 5 weeks ago now and I'm on Metformin 3 times a day. My GP says I don't need to see the diabetic nurse or test my blood sugar at all. She won't provide any kind of blood glucose monitor and won't give me the prescription payment exemption form to get free prescriptions. My A1c measured 91 originally and I've now got it down to 84 from fasting blood tests. My question is, is she correct? I really thought I should be testing my blood sugar regularly to check I'm eating the right things etc, and the pharmacy couldn't understand why I don't have a medical exemption certificate. I don't know if this is relevant but my GP's surgery is a funded one and they are well known for refusing to give prescriptions and referrals due to wanting to keep their costs down, I'm not saying that is true, but it is the general feeling amongst other patients I know at their practice. Sorry if the answer is obvious, I'm just a beginner at this any advice and help would be most welcome.

Jaggered

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
oh I should also add, I'm not booked to see the diabetic nurse at our practice either as the GP said it was not necessary for a Type 2 Diabetic

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Hi. I was diagnosed about 3 months ago and my GP has been a hell of a lot more supportive than that. I was referred to the practice diabetic nurse, he also signed the exemption form and is very interested in how my new diet will affect my blood scores when I have my review in a couple of weeks.

Having said that, I didn't get a blood monitor but apparently that's pretty common for us Type 2s.

Nevertheless, your GP sounds dreadful; I'd look for a new one if I were you.

Reactions: 4 people

ChrissyB57

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
this is interesting are type 2 diabetes patients entitled to exemption from prescription charges?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may have a fight for a meter, but you are certainly entitled to an exemption card. I would see another GP yours doesn't seem at all clued up and I would be concerned about getting the continuing care you are entitled to if I was you

Reactions: 2 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
this is interesting are type 2 diabetes patients entitled to exemption from prescription charges?
If you have been prescribed any medication for diabetes then yes you're entitled to free prescriptions

Jaggered

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
thanks guys, GP has now agreed to the exemption certificate (just spoke to her on the phone) but won't prescribe the glucose monitor as she says metformin can't cause hypos so no need to see what my blood sugar is doing on a day to day basis, likewise no need for me to see the diabetic nurse as I'm not likely to have any diabetic "crisis". So at least prescriptions will be free from now on, will it apply to all prescriptions or just Metformin does anyone know?

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Jaggered and welcome to the forum.

All the time that you are prescribed diabetes medications then any other medication that you need will also be free.

bigcj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jaggered, I would strongly suggest that you get yourself a dedicated Diabetic Nurse it is not about 'crisis' it is to assist with management and general support, this will include arranging eye screening and foot checks and ensuring regular reviews. When your exception card arrives it will cover all prescriptions, it will include with it a full explanation of inclusions and exclusions until it does arrive your pharmacist may exempt you from charge knowing why your drug is prescribed. I lost my battle over a monitor but chose to buy my own along with a good blood pressure monitor, my blood pressure was slightly high so I need to manage that as well. At the end of the day its your health that matters but unfortunately some GP's seem to take budget cuts a little too far, it is not a clinical decision as most medics will tell you if they are honest.

C

catherinecherub

15 HEALTHCARE ESSENTIALS

What care can you expect?
As well as looking after yourself, everyone with diabetes can get a range of free healthcare services. The 15 healthcare essentials(PDF, 65KB) are the essential health checks and services that everyone with diabetes – of whatever type – should receive from their healthcare team. If you aren't getting all the care you need, take the checklist to your diabetes healthcare team and discuss it with them.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-t...sletter&utm_campaign=15+healthcare+essentials

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You should ask your GP to read the NICE guidelines. These state you should be monitored 2 to 6 monthly until stable on unchanging medication. Monitor 6-monthly once blood glucose level and blood glucose-lowering therapy are stable. Of course, who does the monitoring is up to the GP. Some people see the GP, others see a nurse. You should also be offered dietary advice, annual foot checks, and annual retina eye screening.

Yes, you are entitled to free prescriptions when on diabetes medication.

Most of us Type 2's have to buy our own meters and strips. That is not unusual.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2s who are not on any diabetes medication are not entitled to an exemption certificate.
But if you are on any d med, such as metformin, you are entitled to a certificate.

Regarding the meter, you will find many T2s who have been refused, and a few who were given one. There is a whole thread on it around here somewhere.

For the other checks, have a look at this link. It sets out how the NHS should be checking your ongoing health.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/15-healthcare-essentials/
If your experience falls short of this, then start asking for the checks, and keep asking!

Personally, i am not on D meds, and i control by diet and exercise. So i self-fund my blood glucose meter and test strips (the cheap SD Codefree meter, that i think is worth its weight in gold!) . For the amount of strips i use, this costs me less per month than a prescription charge would.

Jaggered

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
thanks, she did find ketones in my urine twice but when they did a finger prick test it was in the normal range, so the GP feels that the ketones are from dieting, however I had a liver ultrasound and they saw a benign tumor on my right kidney (which they are ignoring) so I'm wondering if that is causing the ketones? I don't know much about medicine I'm afraid!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi @Jaggered and welcome to the forum.

All the time that you are prescribed diabetes medications then any other medication that you need will also be free.
Sorry CC, you got it wrong this time. @Jaggered, you get free medications for the life of your exemption certificate (currently 5 years), so if you came off all D meds a month after you got your certificate, the exemption would last until the expiry of the certificate.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Welcome. It's so disheartening to hear about doctors treating people like this. Personally I wouldn't trust her on any medical issue, if this is the extent of her knowledge about the very common type 2 diabetes. You deserve better than this. Is there another doctor or medical practice you can transfer to?

Reactions: 2 people

neil1945

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi - I was diagnosed laast week as type 2 by the Diabetic Nurse who had been monitoring me as a pre diabetic!! I did not take note of enough of what she said. Came on here Sunday saw the offer of free meter fot test program for type 2 and signed up - have to pay quarterly for lances and strips. It arrived yesterday and have started monitoring already - I have to see what my meals are doing and how everything works.

Also she booked me straight onto a eday long awareness course run by NHS and have booked a separate free one through Diabetes UK as they cover different ground.

My thigh tonight is like a pin cushion but at least its the start of my learning.

My Doctors surgery is realy on the ball with a dedicated Diabetic Nurse and the held an evening 'do' with talks and stands about diabetes the other month and over 100 people turned up!!! - I must be a lucky one!