Exercise - Type 2

Jambolad

Hey all.

Quick question....

I was diagnosed a type 2 in March with a 15 hbA1c. In May it was down to 7.8 and in July down to 5.8. On 2 x 500mg Metformin per day but doc looking to take me off. Lost about 2.5-3 stone.

Was told to exercise, change diet, stop smoking (havent done that yet, cant do both at once....). Been decorating the house, walking etc, but when I check my BG before tea (i.e. after exercise) my BG is always high. Any idea why? My pre meal BG is always in the 4's or 5's but after exercise it goes up.

Also, get a hell of a lot of readings in the 3's which I know is hypo.

Confused (.com.....)!?

Cheers, Jambo.

AmberAnn

Hi..I'm Type 2 but strictly diet controlled....for now...but I understand Metaformin means you can eat most stuff..Do you have Hypos...(I don't)...also I don't check my levels...I go by how I feel...and eat on a regular basis..that is a meal every 4 hours with nothing in between..
I was diagnosed last year...and have lost weight..about 3 and half stone...and its staying off.
You may need to discuss your needs with your nurse/doctor as well as receive advise here...
Probably tough to change your diet..but it does get easier as time goes.
By diet control...no sweets..sugar..choc..biscuits cakes pastry etc etc...easy for me maybe as am a fairly disciplined lady in her late 60s..I can tell myself I've already eaten my lifes share of Choc ( used to eat a large bar DAILY)..maybe harder if you are a young person...BUT the right food and exercise will help..I walk at least 3 miles most days ...you have to look at the idea that your whole life now has to change.
Best of luck.

Jambolad

Howdy.

I havent had a hypo, but felt rubbish a few times. Still wouldnt eat anything with Metformin but I think that my diet is controlling it and the Met is taking my BG too far down.

Just wonder why, after exercise my BG goes up to about 8 but if I dont do exercise it stays down. Cwazy!

For all D's, I have discovered something called Mikado. They are wee biscuit things which are not bad in sugars and are only 11 calories each. I can have 5 and they dont make my BG go nuts.

Good for anyone who still likes a wee bit chocolate (at least I think they are ok :) )

One of my friends has T2 and has started on insulin which comes from the gila monster, says it has helped him lose weight and control his BGs well. Anyone else had this?

Heard also that they are about 5 years away from stem cell treatment, anyone know more about this and what are the chances of working?

Cheers all.

Jambo.

zanc

AmberAnn said:
...but I understand Metaformin means you can eat most stuff..
If only that were the case. I believe Metformin helps, but not by an amount that would let you eat "most" stuff.

AmberAnn said:
...also I don't check my levels...I go by how I feel...
I think this is a dangerous attitude to take. Diabetes does its damage silently, by which time it may be too late.

jan123

I would agree with the above, I was diagnosed years ago as a type 2 and took the attitude that because I exercised and did not overeat too much I was ok, I just didn't test at all, my rather lax attitude to testing is that I didn't know how ill I was becoming, that I was really type 1 and that I actually needed insulin, as you say, diabetes wreaks its havoc silently and is no respector of those of us who have done everything by the book