Dr B on extending the Type 1 honeymoon

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Thanks Lucy. Interesting. It seems to me that the evidence of beta cell destruction caused by high BG levels is so strong that I just don't understand why many knowledgable diabetic experts still don't except it / promote it.... Eg. advise patients to keep to low BG levels to avoid further beta cell destruction.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree totally, but I think it's because of the spectre of hypoglycaemia, for Type 1s anyway. And the yoyo effect of high insulin doses isn't generally understood.

Thank Goodness for Dr B eh?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And then here you plug in the Jason Fung argument that the greatest toxicity is insulin toxicity, so as a T1 you want to eat foods that require the least insulin (i.e. spike BG least). That comes from the opposite direction as Dr B., but leads to the same point. It fits.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/lchf-for-type-1-diabetes/

And Marty Kendall's series on optimising nutrition to lower insulinogenicity:

https://optimisingnutrition.wordpress.com/the-insulin-index/

@Ian DP, have you seen these articles? I think the argument would be that by shielding your beta cells from glucose toxicity (and from having to try so hard to produce insulin), you have dropped them below the radar of your T-cells so they haven't been under attack.

Lucy

PS: And then add in this article pulling insulin load stuff together:

https://optimisingnutrition.wordpress.com/2015/06/04/the-goldilocks-glucose-zone/

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Some interesting links, but the way I read it, they are all agreeing with each other, low carb works for people with diabetes. It works for me, my diabetic consultant just says carry on with what you are doing because it is working..... But I am sure the next patient he sees he will be advising them to eat moderat carbs, probably around the 150 to 250g area!!!! So much evidence, but ignored by experts.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, they do agree, but what interests me is that it's from different angles. I'm insulin-dependent, so I take insulin toxicity seriously!

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hijack but Ian and Lucy I've read a lot of your threads on beta cell preservation . I've been told I'm t1 today but my bg is controlled without meds so I'm producing my own insulin still .. now I've been told to take gliclizide by the endo which I know stimulates insulin production but would that also increase the attack? ? I'm like you Ian trying to preserve my beta cell's but can't help thinking the medical advise is only gonna speed up my decline?

The other issue is I have is weight loss didn't need to lose any but can't keep it on so I have started uping my carbs to try and maintain gain, but my bloods remain stable

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah. Lots to say there, after supper .. In brief, I'd stay off gliclazide as it'll expose beta cells to more T-cell attack; and to stop weight loss, up the protein slightly. And make sure fat is high enough to quell hunger. Read Dr B on weight gain and protein ..

Reactions: 2 people

chris270181

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers will have a look at that. I'd mentioned my concerns and was told gliclazide would help me gain weight, but if I'm in the honeymoon and can prolong it then that's something I'd like to do.. although my endo said inevitably I will be insulin dependant as if to say there is no point in preserving beta cell function

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats what they think - so why bother, indeed? But look at Ian! One day he may need insulin, but who knows? And its so worth keeping the TDD low. Steady BGs, no hypos, no up/down exhaustion ...

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi Chris
You seem to be very much like myself. From what I have read, I would stop the gliclazide. To preserve beta cells, most experts say you need to keep your BG levels at around 4.6 fasting and 5.6 2 hours after meals. To gain weight I started eating more fat. Carbs will increase your bg levels. A lot of experts now say 80% fat is good. As Lucy says, have a read of BT Bernstein's diabetic solution book. Around £5 on kindle and iBooks. I am sure you will find it a good read.