When someone feeds you coke by mistake....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Heavy cold? Check.
Loss of taste? Check
Ordered a pint ofdiet coke? Check
Didn't notice it was full fat due to earlier issues? Check
Drank it all? Check.

Feeling a bit **** now with a spike that's got a hell of an upwards velocity? Oh yes.

Stuck the Novorapid in intramuscular to try and speed up the action.

Drinking coke when you don't have a hypo. Not recommended.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My daughters T1 friend has a little device she dips in all her drinks in pubs to make sure they are diet

Hope you are feeling a bit better soon

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Perhaps unsurprisingly, it feels a lot like you do after a glucagon injection. :hungover:

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I jut use my blood test machine to check my drinks- a small drip on finger works well instead of blood

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Done it, given wrong one in a restaurant. Had a really good hypo. Was like a bag of s... for a couple of days.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heavy cold? Check.
Loss of taste? Check
Drank it all? Check.

Feeling a bit **** now with a spike that's got a hell of an upwards velocity? Oh yes.

I always fret about that happening in pubs and restaurants. That's why I stick to the wine :)
No joking aside I always get my OH to taste my coke to make sure it's diet as he can't stand it and can easily tell the difference. I'm really paranoid about it and even if I can taste its diet I make him double check every time (sad I know)
Hope you feel better soon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Heavy cold? Check.
Loss of taste? Check
Drank it all? Check.

Was the coke from a pump dispenser, we've had countless posts over the years where people have been served the wrong drink from these dispensers, best to ask for a diet drink that comes in a bottle or can where you can see that its labelled diet.

Hope you get your bg levels down soon.

Reactions: 6 people

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Happened to me on a night out....was given Pepsi instead of diet, I never drink diet Pepsi only diet coke so I couldn't taste the difference!! Ended up with a BS too high for my machine to read, a fever in the night and a trip to a&e with ketones!!! If in doubt ask them to change it....I've seen bar staff press the normal coke button before and be adamant that it's diet!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been given regular coke no end of times especially in restaurants. But I can tell straight away that it isn't diet, it has a much sweeter taste to me, I always ask another family member to taste test it if I think it isn't right.

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Will agree that when give the regular stuff I can tell even when I am out and had a few light refreshments. But on those occasions when I am drinking alcohol. I will sometime not bother about the odd one

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks all. Managed to over insulate to treat causing a crashing hypo, then rebounded on the treatment. Went to bed at 10mmol/l and stayed there all night. :hungover:

Back to normal though now. :)

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all, yes the problem of the post mix dispensers is just that, the buttons are close together and the bar staff get used to the same button.
I use to work as a bar maid and heard one other girl say, that she had given ordinary coke to someone who had asked for diet, and then when she was asked, said yes it was diet.....When I heard this I told her off, and pointed out that the person might have been a diabetic and the ordinary coke could make them ill, so I said that she should have checked the coke, and offered the bottled diet coke, she did not seem very bothered by the whole issue.

I agree you should see the container, to keep your mind at ease, but some pubs don't allow the bottles to pass over the bar, in glasses only(worked in this type of pub as well).

I think that if the problem is causing diabetics problems then the bar manager must be told and do retraining, and buy the post mix syrup and make sure that it is always available, failing that trading standards should be informed at it can become a health and safety issue, making diabetics ill, is not wanted, ttfn from Karen

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also wondering what the device is? I want one

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I just use Clinistix.
Cheap(divided in 4 gives 200tests for ~£5), Handy to carry.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all, what has become of honesty. Having to carry testing strips with you to make sure that things are correct. Our health is vital so we must do these things to protect ourselves, such is the times we live in, ttfn from Karen.

capsicum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey my t1d partner posted a rather interesting video of test drinking a can of Coke.

Measuring with a Freestyle Libre and using Afrezza.

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I always use my accu check meter to test 'diet' coke. Will read 'hi' if it's full fat coke, and usually .5 or less if diet, happy days !!! Also great theatre in front of your bemused pals, lol

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only check draught coke/Pepsi... If out of bottle, I tend to trust it. You just pop the end of the strip in the liquid quick, and you get a result.