Menopause and diabetes

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
since starting my hot flushes my morning readings are up 2! Is this normal and what can I do about it?

I have no idea, but, I do know that when I was trying to get my numbers down, if they were elevated, I might have a bit of a tropical moment. Do you know how your sugars are doing, in general? Is it only the morning ones that are up or are the others up too?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been having hot flushes since I was... er... late teens.
That's 20 years.
But then my hormones have been screwed up for all of that time.
And the hot flushes definitely get worse when my BG levels are higher.

So hot flushes are not necessarily caused by menopause.

And they can definitely be linked to diabetes.

But I haven't ever tested my BG while 'flushing' because it always happens either in the middle of the night, or at some other totally inconvenient time!

I think I remember someone, possibly @Mud Island Dweller saying that they thought menopause had started, but it turned out to be diabetes.

Sorry Muddy, if it wasn't you!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
summer 2013 I had hot flushes and thought it was the menopause. In November (was actually August but the surgery didn't give me the results) I was diagnosed with prediabetes. I started eating low carb and the hot flushes disappeared.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Yup it was me 3 years of cussing the mepause and it was the big D :hilarious: god l am not going to pick a lottery number with my luck :confused:

I also found when l stopped the pill my bg went down when l restarted as experiment they went up so stopped again and they came down...

Reactions: 2 people

Tez_Ann_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a bit of a rant: just recovering from a tummy bug, type 1 & menopausal. Trying to work out which is causing me to feel decidedly 'off colour' & prob all!